Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #121
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
The adults were talking, and you interrupted. When you actually publish something, I'll be interested in what you have to say.

No offense.
Quote:
It's always interesting when people preface things this way.
Technically, because only self-published to date. No luck with the solicits and agents and houses so far.

Working on novels 9 and 10 this year (started with #9, switched to #10 when it came to mind). Not super proud of the first four, but they're still on my shelf so they count. Redheaded stepchildren, but they count.

Make sure you apologize to me BEFORE they send you away again for a 2-3 week vacation, cowboy. Hell, I'll even share my bourbon with you.

I really don't give a $hit what you think of me, but lay off with the passive-aggressive $hit towards Sophie. It's rare enough TMNT personnel post here, and I like hearing what they say.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #122
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

sometimes I swear the poster child for this place is a beaten up baxter stockman saying "can't we all just get along?"

on a plus note sophie said she's at least be working till 116 so that's a plus. had another prediction on a future story line, at some point I predict that some rich jerk is going to come to mutant town to go on safari, after all if man is the most dangerous animal, then what is a mutant?

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 05-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #123
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
sometimes I swear the poster child for this place is a beaten up baxter stockman saying "can't we all just get along?"

on a plus note sophie said she's at least be working till 116 so that's a plus. had another prediction on a future story line, at some point I predict that some rich jerk is going to come to mutant town to go on safari, after all if man is the most dangerous animal, then what is a mutant?
#116? I thought it was through #112? I take it that Campbell has an outline through that point?

I am hopeful that it will pick up with #106 after the new status quo stuff is over.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:03 PM   #124
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Technically, because only self-published to date. No luck with the solicits and agents and houses so far.

Working on novels 9 and 10 this year (started with #9, switched to #10 when it came to mind). Not super proud of the first four, but they're still on my shelf so they count. Redheaded stepchildren, but they count.

Make sure you apologize to me BEFORE they send you away again for a 2-3 week vacation, cowboy. Hell, I'll even share my bourbon with you.

I really don't give a $hit what you think of me, but lay off with the passive-aggressive $hit towards Sophie. It's rare enough TMNT personnel post here, and I like hearing what they say.
Dude, getting published is hard. I know a lot of people in that business and it's like, unless you write tween fiction or stuff for horny housewives, you're pretty much stuck self-publishing. It's not even a reflection of any author's work, it's just that "print is dead" thanks to the internet breeding an entire generation of functionally illiterate people who only know meme-speak.

One of the girls I took writing classes in high school with was published at age 16, but even that was like, partly the gimmick of being able to market a "prodigy". She was a very good writer (specifically poetry) but who knows if he even would have gotten looked at if she was 26 or 36, rather than 16 at the time. Not saying she wouldn't, but she might not have.

I definitely count self publishing as "being published". Due to external market forces it's pretty much the only way to get your stuff seen anymore. No shame in the game, brother.

Plus, a lot of people self-publish their autobiographies nowadays, and they still get paid a lot of money for it. I think we're officially past the point where being approved by Random House makes you any more or less "legitimate".

Good for you, buddy. I couldn't do it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 05-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #125
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Dude, getting published is hard. I know a lot of people in that business and it's like, unless you write tween fiction or stuff for horny housewives, you're pretty much stuck self-publishing. It's not even a reflection of any author's work, it's just that "print is dead" thanks to the internet breeding an entire generation of functionally illiterate people who only know meme-speak.

One of the girls I took writing classes in high school with was published at age 16, but even that was like, partly the gimmick of being able to market a "prodigy". She was a very good writer (specifically poetry) but who knows if he even would have gotten looked at if she was 26 or 36, rather than 16 at the time. Not saying she wouldn't, but she might not have.

I definitely count self publishing as "being published". Due to external market forces it's pretty much the only way to get your stuff seen anymore. No shame in the game, brother.

Plus, a lot of people self-publish their autobiographies nowadays, and they still get paid a lot of money for it. I think we're officially past the point where being approved by Random House makes you any more or less "legitimate".

Good for you, buddy. I couldn't do it.
I've made my peace with not making it in "real" publishing, but I accept that a lot of people are always going to be dismissive of self-publishing.

At the end of the day, I write for myself and am okay with that. But I'm going to keep trying; I've got two more novels I haven't pitched around yet (one finished, one in progress) that I'm pretty hopeful for. I didn't purposely gear it towards the target markets most sci-fi and fantasy publishing houses want, but it did naturally end up checking a lot of boxes.

One big problem, though, is that a number of publishers are now explicitly asking for non-white, non-straight male authors to pitch to them. Because it's exciting and heroic when a queer woman writes a story, or a gay Muslim, or a transgender person... but us white guys who like girls are old news.

And to a certain extent, I understand that. I just wish these publishers would focus primarily on the story, not the author.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #126
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
(...) or a gay Muslim (...)
Posthumous works always do well.

Seriously, though, you have my respect for sticking to your guns and not letting it keep you down.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #127
TommyT
Banned

Quote:

I meant what I said to Sophie, She's good, but i think there's a missed opportunity to feed the other side of the conversation. It's honest feedback, or don't we do that around here?

Quote:
He's jealous of Cubed running off Ciro, wants to one up him by pissing off Sophie.
^^
This, bud is you being a juvenile white knight. Grow up. Complain all you want, TECHNICALLY I did nothing wrong.

Quote:

One big problem, though, is that a number of publishers are now explicitly asking for non-white, non-straight male authors to pitch to them. Because it's exciting and heroic when a queer woman writes a story, or a gay Muslim, or a transgender person... but us white guys who like girls are old news.
And I'm sure Sophie is just LOVING this from her "defender". You're actually complaing about the EXACT SAME ISSUE I was, but because it's about you, hey, we all take a knee??

Perhaps you need the time out. You step to me, then ask for an apology? Nah.
hit that ignore or don't, but swing at me, I swing back.

Last edited by TommyT; 05-22-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #128
Leo656
The Franchise

Speaking of "swinging", I remember someone mentioning the ol' "Helicopter Dick" gimmick. Are we all still gonna do that, or should I just put mine away?

I mean, my wife likes it, but I'unno, some people here might not.

Quote:
I've made my peace with not making it in "real" publishing, but I accept that a lot of people are always going to be dismissive of self-publishing.

At the end of the day, I write for myself and am okay with that. But I'm going to keep trying; I've got two more novels I haven't pitched around yet (one finished, one in progress) that I'm pretty hopeful for. I didn't purposely gear it towards the target markets most sci-fi and fantasy publishing houses want, but it did naturally end up checking a lot of boxes.

And to a certain extent, I understand that. I just wish these publishers would focus primarily on the story, not the author.
Yeah, I can see that. It's a bummer. But it's like what I do, kinda, I never wanted to wrestle in arenas and never would be tapped for that anyway, but I still get paid to wrestle regardless of venue. You get paid to do a job, you're a "professional", that's how I look at it.

You study a craft, you execute said craft, people pay you for it, to me that equals "legitimate professional" regardless of whose name is on the check. Some people just cut bigger checks than others.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #129
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Speaking of "swinging", I remember someone mentioning the ol' "Helicopter Dick" gimmick. Are we all still gonna do that, or should I just put mine away?

I mean, my wife likes it, but I'unno, some people here might not.
you have no idea how tempted I was to post a puni puni poemy gif just now.

at least the comic series is back on track.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 05-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #130
TommyT
Banned

Maybe, just maybe, handing out speeding tickets while also speeding, is obnoxious.

Just saying.

Sophie is talented, but as Cloudrunner said, the point is, not everybody wants fullbore woke comics all day, everyday. Some of us are looking for stories that speak to redblooded American/Canadian men.

Even jerkyboy up there is having a tough time because people think the extreeme left is the only market with buying power. It's wrongheaded and incredibly nearsighted.

That doesn't mean I have any issues with Sophie or the work she's doing, but single flavor isn't the best way to run an icecream shop.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #131
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
you have no idea how tempted I was to post a puni puni poemy gif just now.

at least the comic series is back on track.
I had to Google that and I'm still not sure I get the reference. Regardless, I'm glad some people find me amusing.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:02 PM   #132
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Female turtle is definitely not a diversity of thought in any way shape or form.
And I don't think some people are pissed purely because she is "female turtle". Though, I won't deny that those people exist too, (which doesn't make pinnacle of all evil or whatnot).
I didn't introduce Jennika, and the "diversity of thought" statement was a separate thing from a female Turtle being introduced. I got brought on to write the series because I had a different, unique take.

Quote:
Some of us are looking for stories that speak to redblooded American/Canadian men.
That's fine, and there's PLENTY of that out there. Letting the rest of us have TMNT for a little while won't hurt you.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #133
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
That's fine, and there's PLENTY of that out there. Letting the rest of us have TMNT for a little while won't hurt you.
Don't take the bait, Sophie. This guy's a troll who'll gladly keep this argument going forever while slipping in as many jabs, barbs and stealth insults as he can. He's just mad he can't impose his point of view on the whole world and so settles for raging pointlessly while everyone else is having fun and enjoying stuff.

I can't wait to finally see what you've been cooking up for us after this hiatus!
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #134
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I had to Google that and I'm still not sure I get the reference. Regardless, I'm glad some people find me amusing.
the uh, joker looking badguys have something they spin to deflect stuff, i'll just leave it at that and walk away. my brain has seen some weird stuff over the years. sometime look up one called return of the dinosaurs. its the worst anime I've ever seen. it has live action, stop motion, puppets, models and more. you will have so many questions after watching.

Kenny O'Donnell

Old 05-22-2020, 10:10 PM   #135
Leo656
The Franchise

Ah, okay, thanks for clarification. Much obliged.

Quote:
my brain has seen some weird stuff over the years. sometime look up one called return of the dinosaurs. its the worst anime I've ever seen. it has live action, stop motion, puppets, models and more. you will have so many questions after watching.
Can't be any more bizarre than some of the stuff on P.H. Especially nowadays.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #136
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
I didn't introduce Jennika, and the "diversity of thought" statement was a separate thing from a female Turtle being introduced. I got brought on to write the series because I had a different, unique take.

It's not me I'm worried about. I'm just suggesting you might not want to hog the toys.
The stock is 3.95, and dropping. IDW could use another revenue stream. It's just a suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Don't take the bait, Sophie. This guy's a troll ... He's just mad he can't impose his point of view on the whole world.
Always has to be a troll, never acknowledging what I'm saying.

You're admitting this an ideological fight? I mean, yeah, it is, but I'm not pushing for my point of view. I'm saying if you only cater to a very small group on the left, there is money being left on the proverbial table. You want to flag wave, youNEED a platform to do it from. If you can't afford that platform, or you torch it by only speaking to the most marginalized of people, intentionally putting a thumb in the eye of those who aren't 100% onboard with your politics?

This a'int the front lines of a revolution.

It's bad business, that's all. putting out more than one title to fill the coffers, especially when the entire industry is in the hole...

Not exactly a crazy idea.

Last edited by TommyT; 05-22-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:33 PM   #137
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
I'm just suggesting you might not want to hog the toys.
But I'm being paid to hog the toys.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:41 PM   #138
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Fair enough.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 AM   #139
Jazzfox
Thug

Quote:
I love this response. Just, all of this, had to say. <3

Blagedaggaha, I go idle for a while and it looks like folks in here have been recreating the Mutant Town storyline with a big line splitting the forum down the middle

Soooo, I feel a little conflicted, on the one hand, Wander over Yonder had an episode specifically telling me NOT to feed the trolls, on the other, I’d like to play peace and just offer folks a slice of pizza and chill out

But really, I just wanna talk turtles and look forward to what’s coming up

It feels DAMNABLY good to see one week left of this month on the calendar and think that from next month onwards we may finally be able to open up some new pages, so many Turtles comics all coming to a head between the metal show, the Jennika mini and the Power Rangers/Turtles crossover

As for anything else?

New content is kind of outweighing anything else in my head right now, it’s been a long couple of months since last issue, in way more ways than I wanna count. Stuff like the stock prices? Comicsgate? Don’t know much on them and don’t know if I wanna delve that deep, but one point I do wanna argue?

These turtles comics not being for red blooded folks? Hell, I’d argue that one and do an Obi-Wan Kenobi impression at the same time yelling about having the high ground, that action in 101? I can FEEL some of it. That injury detail against Diamond? I grimace some, even Jennika didn’t get off easy with how painful the damn scene afterwards got having to see Alopex pulling all the spikes out.

There’s action here, even in a more reflective Northampton-style arc, which is core turtles. The art rocks, I’m excited to see where the story goes and hells yes, I wanna see where these brand new characters get to go!

105 can’t come fast enough!!

(Also? Super credit on the theory tossed in about a Most Dangerous Game idea of someone looking to hunt mutants in the town, would wanna see that one too!)

(Please excuse any long time in replies, sometimes offline for long periods!)
Old 05-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #140
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I don't even feel like I've done anything in TMNT so far that would turn off "red-blooded men" or whatever, I've been pretty reined in. I guess there's more crying than usual but Splinter died but it's not like there's been a shortage of moping in TMNT, that's not really new. If I went whole hog I would've just made everyone super gay or something.
Closed Thread