The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-11-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Warhorse
Emperor

TMNT Appeals to Males and Females

I was talking with my friends today about the upcoming movie, when we were throwing out the discussion that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles seems to have as much of a female fan following as it does male.

Do you think the creators are surprised by this? What about the general male fan. Are you a little surprised to go on the forums and see that half of the members are female?
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

I'd be lying if i didnt admit to being a little suprised haha. Just because of the fact that the show is about well...four boys...But i understand why tmnt is also popular with females, theyre just plain fun. Makes me wonder if I'd be into the tmnt as much if they were female.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Well, there are a lot of fangirls who are of..."questionable mental faculties" and appear to actually be in love with these fictional turtles.

But you get that in every fandom based around a medium populated predominantly with male characters. Ghostbusters has a lot of screechy Venkman fangirls, which the Starscream fangirls within the Transformers fandom exist in frightening quantities.

So when I first joined the TMNT online community I had already dealt with Transformers and Ghostbusters fangirls, so seeing so many fangirls whose sole reason for loving the franchise is because "OMG _____ is soooo CUTE! ^__^" doesn't really surprise me.

***Disclaimer: The above post does not refer to any fangirl on this board specifically. There are several sane fans of the female persuasian who enjoy the fiction for its depth and charm rather than because they want to shag fictional animals.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Spitfire
Writer • Director

I've actually come across way more female fans then male fans. Which is funny because the brothers play up guy humor and most girls I know hate guy humor haha
Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
gobo
Wacky Action

I don't think it's quite an even split. But, it sure does look awfully close! Between 60/40 and 55/45 is what I always thought. Good grief, what a nit I just picked... But, yeah. It surprised me to find that out when I was ten. The more fickle audiences (non-fans; those who only stick with a franchise until it stops being exciting for a second) are the real wild cards. Can we find a lady by that description for every dude of the same description that gravitates to TMNT? That's an incredibly tough call...

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:48 PM   #6
Masked Ninja
Doodles TMNT for fun

I never really did like "girl" things when I was little. Butt-kicking turtles were way cooler than Barbie could ever hope to be.

Plus they're fun to draw, and psychoanalyze the heck out of when I'm bored. Creepy fangirls make me want to die of embarrassment for my gender.
Masked Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #7
iris
moddy mod mod

Girls like ninja stuff too! And the world is decidedly lacking in TV series that star cool, interesting female characters who aren't obsessed with fashion, glitter, and romance. Bleh. Turtles was much closer to my life, especially since I have 3 brothers and we used to get into some serious scraps.

I sometimes roll my eyes at the 'guy humor,' but that doesn't mean I hate it. It just means sometimes I think boyz r stoopid.

But you know, online forums don't really make a good polling place. Girls do congregate to chat online more than guys, so they're overrepresented on most forums (although it depends on the subject).

Last edited by iris; 12-11-2006 at 08:59 PM.
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Warhorse
Emperor

I like what I like. That's all there is to it. I was never into Barbie. But I did like Rainbow Brite, but I think it was her horse that I really thought was cool.

The Turtles I just started to get into one afternoon back in the eighties.. It probably wasn't until the motion picture came out that I really became a mega fan. And they stuck around a hell of a lot longer than Rainbow Brite and Starlight ever did.

You could also account for April O' Neil, and that little bit of feminism added to the show made it more comfortable for the ladies to be fans without feeling out of place.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
gobo
Wacky Action

What I'd like to know is what the ladies thought of the man-hungry Irma. Was she an insult or was she just funny?

Last edited by gobo; 12-11-2006 at 09:17 PM.
gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I know my sister dug the TMNT back in the day....but I think it may have been because of me...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
Jo Dawn
Inactive Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Ninja View Post
I never really did like "girl" things when I was little. Butt-kicking turtles were way cooler than Barbie could ever hope to be.

Plus they're fun to draw, and psychoanalyze the heck out of when I'm bored. Creepy fangirls make me want to die of embarrassment for my gender.
Ditto to EVERYTHING you just said. I hated 'girl' things (and still mostly do, to a point) and yeah... fangirls are just... *facepalms* I just want to apologise or something. Heh.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #12
iris
moddy mod mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
What I'd like to know is what the ladies thought of the man-hungry Irma. Was she an insult or was she just funny?

Funny
?

I had no idea what to make of Irma. She was a clutzy, kinda loony version of April.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
I was talking with my friends today about the upcoming movie, when we were throwing out the discussion that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles seems to have as much of a female fan following as it does male.

Do you think the creators are surprised by this? What about the general male fan. Are you a little surprised to go on the forums and see that half of the members are female?
I actully think it has more of a female following than male...you'd be suprised as I was to learn that most of the members on even the technodrome who have rather male screen names are females. It came as quite a shock to me.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:21 AM   #14
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

like what kind of gay humor?
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #15
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!

I never ever liked girly stuff, total tomboy tthrougout...I liked al lthe cool stuff like TF, GI Joe and all that back in the 80s growing up...it was only natural I got into TMNT.
When a desginer puts out a drawing featuring a male muscluar character, no matter what species he is, there is going to be some sort of female following. Look how they'r'e drawn in the 2k3 series...muscle. They're strong. Females are attracted to stregnth, it's a natural thing.
Then another reason is these characters are different. Everybody is the same in the real world, why not a little variety? So it's fictional, it's fun, no big deal. Nobody's being hurt in any way. Four humanoid turtles in a sea of humans, they stand out, they're the odd men out...I've always liked the odd ones. And yes I can appreciate TMNT for what it is - a great action show/comic/whatever illustrating the lives of five mutants in a human world and how they survive and their many adventures.
I dig Raph because he has many qualities I can relate to; I'm not the sort who just wants to get him in bed; I can appreciate the guy for what and who he be...it's not my fault they made him so cute in TMNT1...

Irma's a moron.

And I can name some fangirls who just make me cringe...but I won't. I am not one of those "Squeeeee" types. Ugh.

And NO there aren't enough female cartoon characters who seriously kick some major hiney! They're all like Bratz or crap like that, BLEAH! The only one on Fox/4kids/whatever they wanna call it this week/ that I can think of who isn't a total wuss is April.

Last edited by Buslady; 12-12-2006 at 08:12 AM.
Buslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #16
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower View Post
? whats all this then we'll have no trouble here!!?
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #17
Draconic
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPower View Post
Dude, guy humor.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #18
Leonardo_
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
I actully think it has more of a female following than male...you'd be suprised as I was to learn that most of the members on even the technodrome who have rather male screen names are females. It came as quite a shock to me.

Why was it a shock to you? I would rather say it's a bit confusing, yes., but whatever...even I have got a male name...what's wrong with this?!

Leonardo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:45 PM   #19
Masked Ninja
Doodles TMNT for fun

That's true - we do need some good female heroes that aren't all "omg my nails!! and boys!! and um... makeup! Oh yeah and crimefighting lol"

Irma? I always thought she was kinda ugly and pathetic. And a little too man-obsessed.
Masked Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #20
Warhorse
Emperor

A good many of you pointed out how there are no female heroes to look up to. Not in the animated sense anyways. I dont remember her name, but the detective in Gargoyles would be as close to a female hero that I can think of that was animated. But that's it.

Other than that, what else is there for us girls. Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Well, it's cool to see everyone's input on this. I have an equal balance of friends and relatives that like the ninja turtles. We still to this day fight over which turtle is the best.

Tags