The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-19-2003, 03:58 PM   #41
Donatello02
Stone Warrior

Please don't tell me you're going to be sayin "awesome" and "bodacious" for the rest of the time you're here. That's just annoying.

'What ninja weapon did Don get? A stickball bat.
Hey, you can call it a 'bo'. But you can call it a
Ford Tempo too...it's still just a stick.'
Donatello02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 10:15 PM   #42
Kali
Inactive Moderator

Heh, heh, I remember what my mom said when I brought home my first two figures of the new wave. She's kinda okay with me being into Turtles, and since I paid for them myself, she doesn't have much of a say. But she still asked, "You sure you wanna spend your money on action figures?"

I just held up my figures and said, "These coulda been a bag of pot, I suggest you be happy."

There was a pause, then a few minutes of laughter before she dropped it.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:34 AM   #43
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Heh, I was the lone gothic freak kid back in High School. I dont think my love of TMNT(or Muppets or Transformers, etc) had been pronounced since Jr. High...though now that the 80's revival is in full swing its good to see the college kids embracing such stuff. But yeah, good to see the TMNT back!
Oh yeah, I hung out with them too ^^
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:36 AM   #44
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznorite420
Yes he likes it. When I mentioned to him my revival on interest in the TMNT, his exact words were, "God, I love those guys, especially the movies!"

Maybe you remember the post I made a long time ago about how every Friday night or so he would take me and my sister to Blockbuster Video so that we could have a video to watch over the weekend. My sis and I always alternated on finding a TMNT video to rent. It even got to the point where my dad said to me every so often, "I think it's your sister's turn this week to get a Ninja Turtles video."

Even before that, he wanted to see the first movie as much as I did. The day it came out on video (and I mean THE day), he was looking for it as enthusiastically as I was.

Ah, memories...
Wow that's cool... Closest thing I got was my dad would buy me 2 or 3 turtle figures at a time... but I never saw him that much so I dunno heh
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 01:13 AM   #45
One Radical Dude
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello02
Please don't tell me you're going to be sayin "awesome" and "bodacious" for the rest of the time you're here. That's just annoying.
Whoa...who, me? No way, Don02!! I do use "awesome" a lot, and I'm used to saying "dude", too. :p I rarely use "bodacious" or any of the other phrases. Mostly "dude" and "awesome" here. Pardon me if it annoys you or other people.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #46
HorseTechie
Inactive Moderator

Re: My views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny'sPizza
I think my mom might think I'm nuts for recording the new show... I don't wake up early enough on Saturdays to watch it. I've never been asked if I was too old for the show since I'm 18 and all... but I don't care anyway. Hell, there are tons of kids my age that absolutely love Spongebob Squarepants. GIVE ME A BREAK! No offense to anyone who is a fan of that show but nobody should even consider thinking I'm wierd for liking the TMNT if they watch friggin' Spongebob.
*lol* Yeah.. that is so funny. TMNT-hating-hubby is quite the opposite when it comes to SpongeBob as well. I mean, he hasn't even seen a cartoon episode of this yet, but he thinks the concept is neat.

But yeah, I admit, Spongebob does sound like a cool idea too. Too bad we don't have cable so we can see what it's all about.
HorseTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 12:06 PM   #47
Kameko
Sister to the TMNT

Personally, I can't stand Spongebob. *shudder* It's only redeeming value is Squidward. (I've only watched the show once, but that was more than enough) But then, I always tend to identify with the cynical characters (Raphael, Basil Fawlty from 'Fawlty Towers', Mr. Lucus on 'Are you Being Served', etc... )
Kameko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 08:24 PM   #48
punisher_dude188
Random Punk

Spongebobs Awesome!!
...(_<>_<>_}<><
.../ _______ \
...\________/
punisher_dude188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:19 AM   #49
newfan
Mad Scientist

As others seem to be bumping old threads... though I have a faint memory of a similar more recent thread.

For me, I don't think people around me know I got into this.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

When I was a kid TMNT was very popular so no. By the time we got to the late 90's or 2000's most people had moved on from TMNT, but remembered it fondly from their childhood.

Nowadays since nostalgia culture is mainstream, TMNT is eternally "cool" again.

Same thing happened with Pokemon to be honest, it went through it's era where kids had grown up and thought they couldn't like it anymore, but then through the passage of time "nostalgia" made it eternally cool as pop culture again.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #51
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
When I was a kid TMNT was very popular so no. By the time we got to the late 90's or 2000's most people had moved on from TMNT, but remembered it fondly from their childhood.

Nowadays since nostalgia culture is mainstream, TMNT is eternally "cool" again.

Same thing happened with Pokemon to be honest, it went through it's era where kids had grown up and thought they couldn't like it anymore, but then through the passage of time "nostalgia" made it eternally cool as pop culture again.
Yes but cool on-line in fan communities or cool if you went into the office and said you are a TMNT fan? I wasn't sure if that was what the questions meant, like family/friends/co-workers etc.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #52
TylerD
Random Punk

I am sure some do..... Most all my friends know I am a huge Ninja Turtle Fan, but more so with comics and the movies. I don't really tell them I watch the 1987 cartoons all the time hahahahah. I keep that to myself. MY spouse obviously knows I am a huge fan, but now we have a 2.5 year old and we watch it together.

I could care less what people think of me.... I get more criticism for being an Edmonton Oilers fan than anything lmao.
TylerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #53
Coola Yagami
Overlord

For me it was, which didn't make sense, like I was a kid back then, I was the target demographic. Yet everyone at school at the tender age of 12 or 13 were already in the 'we're too cool for that ****' and 'gotta get laid' mindset. Only a friend and I talked turtles, we had to keep that to ourselves to avoid ridicule.

I think even back then the turtles were still considered goofy. Like IF they talked cartoons, Transformers and GI Joe were the stuff you talked about.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #54
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
For me it was, which didn't make sense, like I was a kid back then, I was the target demographic. Yet everyone at school at the tender age of 12 or 13 were already in the 'we're too cool for that ****' and 'gotta get laid' mindset. Only a friend and I talked turtles, we had to keep that to ourselves to avoid ridicule.

I think even back then the turtles were still considered goofy. Like IF they talked cartoons, Transformers and GI Joe were the stuff you talked about.
All of these pop culture movements happen in circumstance or in waves. The 80's was a circumstance that invited something like TMNT. The current wave of TMNT is nostalgia and that, I think, makes it easier for people to accept the fandom of it.

Personally, all of the TMNT fandom I've got left in me is purely being kept alive by nostalgia for the Fred Wolf and Archie material and fueled by the NECA stuff which I'm choosing to belive is the best it's going to get as far as representation of the original cartoon goes.

Most likely the only way I'll dive in deeper is if NECA goes "Archie" like I keep clamoring for now and again with posts like this.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #55
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I know there are people out there that view TMNT as a kids property, and think adults being into TMNT are weird.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:47 PM   #56
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I know there are people out there that view TMNT as a kids property, and think adults being into TMNT are weird.
Well.... TMNT is a kids property. And for the most part, adults being into TMNT is weird.

I think the depth of the weirdness is predicated on the level of being "into" TMNT that the adult is. It's probably more acceptable for a 40 year adult male who has his $#!( together to have a display case with some stuff in it in his office or whatever than it is for a social weirdo to have an entire room dedicated to TMNT filled with Plush toys, Playmates plastic and f'n blankies on the bed, you know?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #57
sdp
doomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
As others seem to be bumping old threads... though I have a faint memory of a similar more recent thread.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #58
Jephael
That whack job behind you

You know looking back at this thread, I regret not taking more interest in Kali back when we both frequented this forum and Mikey's TMNT Forum when it was still around. I used to love reading her fan fiction and checking out her artwork. I even asked her to do a special drawing of Renet for me. Then again, there were so many of us back then sharing our ideas and linking to each other's websites it was hard to keep up with everybody. Man, what I'd give to have some of those people back!

"Goodnight and have a pleasant tomorrow."
- Chevy Chase; Saturday Night Live
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:37 AM   #59
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
You know looking back at this thread, I regret not taking more interest in Kali back when we both frequented this forum and Mikey's TMNT Forum when it was still around. I used to love reading her fan fiction and checking out her artwork. I even asked her to do a special drawing of Renet for me. Then again, there were so many of us back then sharing our ideas and linking to each other's websites it was hard to keep up with everybody. Man, what I'd give to have some of those people back!
Aw, yeah. She was awesome. She did a terrific drawing of one of my OC characters which I still have, thankfully. I miss talking to her. I know she's had various health issues but I hope she's doing well.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:51 AM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Well.... TMNT is a kids property.
It became that way. I hate to say "grew" into that way. But that doesn't mean that all the adults that are TMNT fans are tuning into all the cartoons and stuff. I know I'm not. With 2012 I did because I had a daughter who was very much into it for about a 2 year time.

It's hard to point to another example of a franchise that started out rather "adult" and then successfully -- and almost exclusively -- became a thing that only offered new content for little kids. It's kind of an oddity in that way. Sometimes it is the opposite but not really that way.

"And we love ya for it!" - Coola Yagami

"No. You don't. " - superstaff
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote