The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Can Fred Wolf Shredder really be considered the "leader" of the Foot Clan?

Alright so we know that the Foot Clan in FW used to be what it is in most other incarnations, an ancient band of ninjas that continue to this day. Where the Fred Wolf incarnation differs however is that it appears to be almost completely robotic, meaning that the human members have been removed. Since we don't ever see Shredder command any real people aside from some street thugs he sent out to do some petty tasks, it really puts his leadership into question as he's seemingly the only real member left.

In turn this also brings up the question of what the humans did after Shredder replaced them. It's entirely possible, since seemingly none remained, that just went on as usual without him. Which would mean that not only is Shredder's leadership in question, he wouldn't even be part of the Foot Clan at all, but rather some loser with walking tin cans.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I liked how Tony Day handled that question in his Turtle Turncoat fan comic.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

In Turtle Tracks, Splinter says that Oroku Saki had turned the Foot Clan into a criminal organisation in Japan and we see the Foot Soldiers telling a pedestrian to stick his hands up. Since that's the ONLY time we see the Foot Soldiers talk in the series, it's fair to assume the ones in Japan were human at first. In fact, Shredder said he didn't get access to advanced technology until he went to USA, where he seems to have met Krang. So I doubt he had a way to build an army of robots back in Japan.

The Foot Clan story in the FW series is inconsistent, since the founder seems to be two different people in the season 4 clip-show episode of the Cur-Li Manouver and then in the season 7 episode where the Turtles and Splinter go to Ancient Japan.

I remember Splinter having documents that prove he's the leader of the Clan in one of he season 3 episode with Zach and Walt. And Shredder really wants to get his hands on them... but he had been living in USA for some years now and wanted to take over the world from NYC with the Technodrome, so why would he care anymore?! What was even the Foot Clan by then? Shredder and a bunch of useless non-sentient robots? Why the need to worry about becoming the leader of an old clan when you can build your own legion of robots and also are partners with an alien brain that ah access to very advanced technology and a death star like fortress?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
In Turtle Tracks, Splinter says that Oroku Saki had turned the Foot Clan into a criminal organisation in Japan and we see the Foot Soldiers telling a pedestrian to stick his hands up. Since that's the ONLY time we see the Foot Soldiers talk in the series, it's fair to assume the ones in Japan were human at first. In fact, Shredder said he didn't get access to advanced technology until he went to USA, where he seems to have met Krang. So I doubt he had a way to build an army of robots back in Japan.
I think the one's in Japan were human as well (when they told the pedestrian to surrender).

What exactly happened to the Foot Clan back in Japan is left to the audience, and there are a variety of possible outcomes.

Perhaps the Japanese branch is still running as usual with Shredder in command, or the remaining human members rebelled against him due to his dishonourable conduct, branching off into their own branch of the Foot Clan.

Either way, I don't think that Shredder really needed Human Foot Soldiers in his conquest of New York, since they cannot be mass produced like robots.

Quote:
The Foot Clan story in the FW series is inconsistent, since the founder seems to be two different people in the season 4 clip-show episode of the Cur-Li Manouver and then in the season 7 episode where the Turtles and Splinter go to Ancient Japan.
David Wise actually avoids that supposed continuity error in both episodes, by making Shibano Sama the founder of the teachings that were eventually incorporated into the newly formed Foot Clan by Hamato Koji.

So while Shibano Sama did not form the clan himself, his original teachings are its foundation.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:47 AM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

As long as he still was in Japan, maybe. Or maybe just for a breakway branch. Later, no.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I actually thought that FW Shredder was the leader of the actual clan back in Season 1.
I mean, such a promotion was granted to him after he managed to disgrace Hamato Yoshi.

Oroku got demoted somehow (probably by another 'higher-up' individual that eventually took over the dojo in Saki's home country.) All ties to Oroku Saki's leadership over The Foot were eventually severed.

Therefore, FW Shredder continued to use robotic Foot Soldiers that don the attire of his former clan since.

So, can FW Shredder really be considered to be the leader of the Foot Clan? Well, he thought that he was in his own little world.
At least the IDW comic can tell a better story.

Last edited by DarkFell; 09-07-2019 at 10:28 AM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I liked how Tony Day handled that question in his Turtle Turncoat fan comic.
How? It's been so long I forgot.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
Icebot
Foot Elite

Alpha 1 was able to overthrow him as leader that one episode in season 4.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
I actually thought that FW Shredder was the leader of the actual clan back in Season 1.
I mean, such a promotion was granted to him after he managed to disgrace Hamato Yoshi.
He was probably made leader after Yoshi's exile, because in Splinter's own words: "Oroku Saki is a ninja of the highest rank".

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I think the one's in Japan were human as well (when they told the pedestrian to surrender).

What exactly happened to the Foot Clan back in Japan is left to the audience, and there are a variety of possible outcomes.

Perhaps the Japanese branch is still running as usual with Shredder in command, or the remaining human members rebelled against him due to his dishonourable conduct, branching off into their own branch of the Foot Clan.

Either way, I don't think that Shredder really needed Human Foot Soldiers in his conquest of New York, since they cannot be mass produced like robots.

David Wise actually avoids that supposed continuity error in both episodes, by making Shibano Sama the founder of the teachings that were eventually incorporated into the newly formed Foot Clan by Hamato Koji.

So while Shibano Sama did not form the clan himself, his original teachings are its foundation.
Oh I've never realised that. So he did pay some attention to it after all.

Also, what about Splinter's master who was Yoku's uncle or grandfather or wtv? Where does he fit in all of this?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Since we don't ever see Shredder command any real people aside from some street thugs he sent out to do some petty tasks, it really puts his leadership into question as he's seemingly the only real member left.
Good question. It puts into perspective the fraught relationship between him and Krang. The reason over their quarrelling was always because Shredder never felt he was being treated with respect by Krang. It's insecurities over having a lack of power as Krang brought along most of what was needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
In turn this also brings up the question of what the humans did after Shredder replaced them. It's entirely possible, since seemingly none remained, that just went on as usual without him.
I think Shredder either killed them or gave them a secret mission to carry on with.

Quote:
For all we know they could be operating as a series of trainer/sneaker stores.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #12
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

Yup, I remember that. David Wise is awsome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I think Shredder either killed them or gave them a secret mission to carry on with.
You think he killed them all
That's petty dark.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #13
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Pretty sure they were still running his Ninja Pizza/Dentist/Video/etc stores. So, basically, fronting the cash for his OTHER endeavors, which apparently included collecting ancient pottery. And some probably went back to Japan to handle business there.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
You think he killed them all
That's petty dark.
When I say secret mission for them to carry out I mean business related to the Foot Clan or something that furthers world domination.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #15
Overlord

Season 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Pretty sure they were still running his Ninja Pizza/Dentist/Video/etc stores. So, basically, fronting the cash for his OTHER endeavors, which apparently included collecting ancient pottery. And some probably went back to Japan to handle business there.
Only during season 1. But still, it would be interesting to know what happened to Shredder's criminal empire after the Technodrome was sent to Dimension X at the end of Shredder and Splintered.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 09-11-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Only during season 1. But still, it would be interesting to know what happened to Shredder's criminal empire after the Technodrome was sent to Dimension X[ at the end of Shredder and Splintered.
I assume that it completely disbanded, because Shreddder never uses them again after season 1.

Instead, he goes around intimidating others to help him because he suffers from a lack of assistance in season 2 (from Krang, the foot soldiers, the rock warriors etc.)

Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #17
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Only during season 1. But still, it would be interesting to know what happened to Shredder's criminal empire after the Technodrome was sent to Dimension X[ at the end of Shredder and Splintered.

I assume it simply kept operating as normal- after all, he could still keep tabs on Earth from Dimension X, even if he could not lead them directly. No reason to think he didn't leave them standing orders in case of his absense/demise/whatever.

Quote:
I assume that it completely disbanded, because Shreddder never uses them again after season 1.

Instead, he goes around intimidating others to help him because he suffers from a lack of assistance in season 2 (from Krang, the foot soldiers, the rock warriors etc.)

There's no real reason why they would have disbanded. Just because they were never featured or discussed, doesn't mean they didn't just continue as normal. They might simply have gone underground, as it were.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:46 AM   #18
Overlord

Shredder and Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I assume it simply kept operating as normal- after all, he could still keep tabs on Earth from Dimension X, even if he could not lead them directly. No reason to think he didn't leave them standing orders in case of his absense/demise/whatever.
I believe the Technodrome was so damaged at the end of Shredder and Splintered that the portal and all communications on Earth went out of function for a long time. Return of the Shredder would take place right after Krang's rock warriors and Shredder's Foot soldiers have repaired the Technodrome.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
pferreira
Foot Elite

You guys ever considered that Shredder's brother arrested them all in the end, maybe one by one?