The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #61
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Longevity is hardly an excuse. You either care, or you don't care.
fair point for sure. when a company ages, leadership and staff changes. sometimes that new blood carries the torch or even raises the bar. but sometimes, in playmates case, i'm assuming they just lost touch and talent. business model maybe changed.

playmates used to care. now they don't.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #62
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
fair point for sure. when a company ages, leadership and staff changes. sometimes that new blood carries the torch or even raises the bar. but sometimes, in playmates case, i'm assuming they just lost touch and talent. business model maybe changed.

playmates used to care. now they don't.
I think it's more us that changed than Playmates.

They've done what they have always done; sell cheap tat for kids. We loved it when we were young 'uns but now we're older we expect something better.

Very rarely will they throw adult collectors a bone but we shouldn't expect much. At the end of the day catering to people in their thirties is not their business.

Still...

We're not wrong for expecting better than THIS.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #63
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Depends on whether or not they ever made it past the prototype stage. If not, they may have lost/thrown out the prototypes since they figured they wouldn't be used. That happens quite often.
Have you worked in the toy industry? Doesn't seem logical, I know they'd still need to make the steel molds which are expensive if they hadn't gotten to that phase but at least an expensive part of the work had already been done with the molds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"I'm mad that Playmates isn't making figures for me as a mid-30s year old man!"

Still weird to me. Still weird.
They're clearly aiming for that market though, you'd have a point if they were their kid releases. IN which case kid releases also deserve better with what's out there.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #64
Leo656
The Franchise

No, but I follow it.

Off the top of my head, Jakks previewed prototypes of numerous WWE figures over the years that were never produced. Most of those characters later received totally different figures, although some never did (Linda McMahon). There were several Linda figures previewed in prototype form within less than 10 years, for example, all totally different sculpts, none of which actually got produced.

In either case, when asked what happened in those situations, Jakks were forthcoming in that they discarded the molds shortly after it was decided the initially-proposed figures were not going into production after all. They just didn't see any need to hang onto them. Thus, they got rid of everything, including the prototypes themselves.

That's one off the top of my head but I know it's happened with other companies. If it weren't a thing that happened semi-often that established a precedent, I wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place as a hypothetical.
----------

FYI: "Do you work in _________" is a very stand-offish way to approach someone who's trying to put forth a little bit of information. It assumes that there's only one way to obtain information or know how something works. Try and be less combative in the future.

I didn't say "This is what happened." I SAID, "This is something that MAY have happened because I know for a fact it's happened before."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #65
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

People come to a website based on children?s toys discussed by adults and tell us why we should care about new toys. Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I think it's more us that changed than Playmates.

They've done what they have always done; sell cheap tat for kids. We loved it when we were young 'uns but now we're older we expect something better.

THIS.
Nah. Compare playmates output now compared to 1990 and see if they are even close to the quality of the old figures.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #66
turtlefan27
Foot Soldier

Such a waste.
turtlefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:44 AM   #67
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
Nah. Compare playmates output now compared to 1990 and see if they are even close to the quality of the old figures.
In terms of what? Designs? Quality?

I'm something of a minority here is that I'm not a collector of TMNT toys. I buy purely what interests me and what I can afford.

The last thing I bought from Playmates were those Secret of the Ooze figures which certainly were not perfect but I felt did well as figures 'inspired by' the movies. I knew going in they were not going to be as good as the NECA 1990s but I appreciated the gesture.

Playmates will never be what we as thirty somethings want them to be. Their priorities is making cheap toys for children and when they do throw adult collectors a bone we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations that it's going a high end product.

Still...

As someone who is still waiting for the perfect Mirage figure it's kinda frustrating that the ones who captured the look of the final Mirage TMNT designs the best was Playmates with those ''09 figures and instead we got those 2014 figures and now...this.

But like I said Playmates is what it is. A company that makes toys for kids. Don't expect them to change that anytime soon.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:14 AM   #68
The Purple Dragon
Stone Warrior

Those was the figures that did end the Neca tmnt line and the reason we did wait 8 years to Get shredder and the foot.they was just protos made so Neca coued not sell tmnt at toys a rus and was never intended to be made AS toys it was just a Hoax to stop Neca instead we did Get a rerelase of the 88 turtles.and if they woued have relased them dont think they woued look AS good AS on the pic.they woued have skip all they paint apps just like they did with the 2012 line just Google the protos of those and then look at the retail version.

Now on this elite figures i love the box art but Get sick of everything else.i really hope adult collectors dont buy those and support playmate.i guess playmate is only to make this to make it Harder fore Neca and super7.i guess we can say goodbuy to a Neca mirage line at special stores like bbts now and only hope now is lootcrate or at the necastore.

To leo656 playmate did just buy the rights to godzilla so now they are making ****** godzilla toys and making Neca out of making godzilla figures In the same process.
The Purple Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:34 AM   #69
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

You know, if they would have released these at the time I would have definitely gone for them. Unfortunately they have since been superseded by NECA. But would've been cool to see them and also would have done Playmates reputation no harm...

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:11 AM   #70
The Purple Dragon
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
You know, if they would have released these at the time I would have definitely gone for them. Unfortunately they have since been superseded by NECA. But would've been cool to see them and also would have done Playmates reputation no harm...
Really?? Whene you coued Get the Neca mirage turtles?to me this look bad and at least whene we got the Neca figures already it was no brainer to me but i know a lot of people that really did like the playmate figures and was really disepointment whene they did relase the first wave of the 88 firgures instead.
The Purple Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:02 AM   #71
Slime State Alumni
Hench Mutant

Man I needed a good laugh. Thanks, Playmates!
Old 07-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #72
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

Meh. Next?
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #73
AquaParade
Banned

"dismissed."
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #74
mikey0
Foot Elite

We need figures like this from Playmates right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUT...-/283587980927
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #75
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
We need figures like this from Playmates right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEENAGE-MUT...-/283587980927
I kind of love it! If Playmates actually did stuff like this I would feel more inclined to support them again and actually buy their products. There is so much potential in making a line of characters from various incarnations done up in classic Playmates toy style.
JonesyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #76
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesyKitty View Post
I kind of love it! If Playmates actually did stuff like this I would feel more inclined to support them again and actually buy their products. There is so much potential in making a line of characters from various incarnations done up in classic Playmates toy style.
We need a line like MOTU Origins. The original TMNT toyline put Playmates Toys on the map and it did one hell of a lot better than the 1982 Mattel MOTU line in its heyday, shellheads deserve to have a newly designed highly articulated 5 inch Krang’s Mobile Life Support System, Lobsterdude, Jagwar, Scratch, Venus, and Jenneka. It would do great things for Playmates to do a MOTU Origins TMNT line. I hope Playmates ditches the Elite Series stuff and go back to their roots with a MOTU Origins type TMNT line. That would be a smart move right now.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #77
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
We need a line like MOTU Origins. The original TMNT toyline put Playmates Toys on the map and it did one hell of a lot better than the 1982 Mattel MOTU line in its heyday, shellheads deserve to have a newly designed highly articulated 5 inch Krang’s Mobile Life Support System, Lobsterdude, Jagwar, Scratch, Venus, and Jenneka. It would do great things for Playmates to do a MOTU Origins TMNT line. I hope Playmates ditches the Elite Series stuff and go back to their roots with a MOTU Origins type TMNT line. That would be a smart move right now.
I thought the same thing. I have been getting the MOTU Origins stuff. It is nice at a cheap price point. But if they do that they will probably pull Super7's license. Since this is pretty much what they are doing. If I have to choose right now I'll pay more for the Super7 stuff.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #78
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
I thought the same thing. I have been getting the MOTU Origins stuff. It is nice at a cheap price point. But if they do that they will probably pull Super7's license. Since this is pretty much what they are doing. If I have to choose right now I'll pay more for the Super7 stuff.
Going by the TMNT products Playmates has released recently, I would go with TMNT Ultimates by Super7 as well.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #79
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
We need a line like MOTU Origins.
Not now. We have a lot of Super 7 Ultimates coming first.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #80
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Not now. We have a lot of Super 7 Ultimates coming first.
Unfortunately, the TMNT Ultimates line does not please 5 inch fans.