The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

All three 'Sailor Moon' movies coming to theaters.

In the coming weeks, Viz be releasing all three Sailor Moon movies to select theaters. Sailor Moon R: The Movie previously played in limited in theaters in January 2017, but it will be coming back along with Sailor Moon S: The Movie as a double feature on July 28 and 30. Sailor Moon SuperS: the Movie will then be released on August 4 and 6.

I had a great time seeing the first movie on the big screen. It was an excellent way to start the new year. The next movies along with Christopher Robin will also be a going back to work treat.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I saw the first movie, not in theaters, but dubbed. I own it. Didn't like it much because of the cuts and the fact that it was a dub.

Hope the films will be subbed.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Wonder if we are going to get a Hunter Z Hunter refrence in these films
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:48 PM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Wonder if we are going to get a Hunter Z Hunter refrence in these films
Whoa, what scene was this?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #5
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Whoa, what scene was this?
Sorry I meant to say Hunter X Hunter reference
Old 07-06-2018, 04:33 AM   #6
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I was wondering if they were going to release the other two movies. Hopefully there will be a blu ray release like the first one.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #7
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Viz has announced additional casting for the dubbed versions of the second and third movies.

Quote:
The cast for Sailor Moon S: The Movie includes:

Chris Hackney as Kakeru Ohzora
Claudia Lenz as Himeko Nayotake
Melissa Fahn as Princess Snow Kaguya

The cast for Sailor Moon SuperS: The Movie and the Sailor Moon SuperS Plus - Ami's First Love short includes:

Kyle McCarley as Poupelin
Ben Diskin as Banane
Robbie Daymond as Oranja
Erica Mendez as Bonbon Babies
Colleen O'Shaughnessey as Perle
Tara Sands as Badiane
Colleen O'Shaughnessey as Bonnun
Kyle McCarley as Mercurius
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-films/.133983
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

This was something I never got into growing up.
As someone with only the knowledge tranferred via geek osmosis, are these worth the price of admission?

Are they self contained, or would I need previous knowledge going in?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

A while back when I rewatched the original dub Sailor Moon S: The Movie for the first time in many years, the message that Sailor Moon told Princess Snow Kaguya before she fought her meant a lot to me. It's true that life has lots of ups-and-downs, pleasures and pains, and we have to accept the bad with the good. Without the bad times we really wouldn't appreciate the good times. 2010 was really shaping out to be a perfect year for me, but a major disappointment happened in November and it took me more than a couple months to get over it. However, that lesson I remembered helped me to move on and try to remember happier times.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
This was something I never got into growing up.
As someone with only the knowledge tranferred via geek osmosis, are these worth the price of admission?

Are they self contained, or would I need previous knowledge going in?
Not really, I wouldn't pay for them but I guess if you're curious go for it? They're just extended episodes and not great ones either, they go by the numbers so a bit boring.

If you don't mind episodic shows though I recommend the series, the story arcs good but a large part of the show is episodic magical girls anime style. First series is pretty good. Sailor Moon R has a fantastic first arc which is anime exclusive and the second based on the manga of R is good not not as great. Sailor Moon S is fantastic. Sailor Moon Super S is boring and a huge letdown. Sailor Moon Stars is just kinda there but it finishes the series.

I don't know if you like anime tropes, magical girl anime or episodic MOTD episodes but if those are no problems for you the series is definitely worth watching, some great seasons and some boring ones but a fun ride overall.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post

Hope the films will be subbed.
I believe that the showings on Sundays are subbed.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I went to see the double feature today and not surprisingly I enjoyed it. Sailor Moon R: The Movie still looks great on the big screen. The English lyrics for “Moon Revnge” did not appear on the screen like they did last time.

As for Sailor Moon S: The Movie, not only does look great I think the sound was done extremely well. The wails coming from the Snow Dancers sounded so real. I wasn’t crazy about the voice coming from Himako at first, but it did get better as the movie went on. One of the differences from the original dubbed version is that I always that Kakeru’s favorite food Star Flakes was a cereal, but in this one they are sugar candies. Although the message Sailor Moon had for Princess Snow Kaguya during her battle was mostly the same I did miss the original lines.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Today I got to see Sailor Moon SuperS: The Movie on the big screen and I enjoyed it. One of the big differences from the original dub is that during the opening scene where all of the girls are baking, Makoto/Sailor Jupiter tells a much different story than the one Lita (Jupiter's name in the original dub) told in the first version. It had nothing to do with Mondays being the most boring day of the week and her mother baking fresh cookies on that day. Instead, it was about a candy fairy who would supposedly appear at 3 PM. The only problem I had with the screening is that some of the lights were still on while both the movie and short are playing.

What I find interesting about the short Ami's First Love is that even though it stands on its own, this is the only time during the SuperS story where the girls are seen wearing their school uniforms. It's also the only time Usagi has the Crisis Moon Compact in the middle of her uniform. I don't recall an episode in SuperS where the girls are shown going to school.

Spoiler:
I also believe that this is only time where an attack excursively in the manga, Mercury Aqua Mirage, is used in the original animation. That attack would later be seen in Sailor Moon Crystal along with many of the others.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #14
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
I was wondering if they were going to release the other two movies. Hopefully there will be a blu ray release like the first one.
Sailor Moon S: The Movie is now available to own on Blu-ray and DVD.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 AM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Sorry I meant to say Hunter X Hunter reference
I know what you meant. What scene was this?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote