The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #341
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's kind of funny, had Nick's Bebop/Rocksteady not turned on them they might have actually succeeded. Krang even says, "What happened? What went wrong?" like he was so sad because he thought he was going to win this time.

As I said, the plot in these eps of Shredder/Krang repowering the Technodrome and trying to conquer Earth with Rock Soldiers was basically the main plot of the entire original cartoon and what they were trying to do for like 10 seasons. In a way it's the perfect sendoff to the series.
From "Return of the Technodrome" to "Turtle Trek", it's definately the main plot.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #342
Glitter Wand
Thug

I noticed something very off about the Mutanimals: what in the world happened to Dr. Rockwell?
Mondo was fairly cool, though.

"You need a recon flyby? I'm the birdman for the job! Pigeon Pete's ago!" - Pete
Glitter Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #343
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter Wand View Post
I noticed something very off about the Mutanimals: what in the world happened to Dr. Rockwell?
Mondo was fairly cool, though.
They probably hit the VA limit. Each episode is only allowed a certain amount of voice actors, this had all 4 OT Turtles, 4 Nick Turtles, 3 Mutanimals, Bebop/Rocksteady, etc.

Same reason Karai/Shinigami didn't appear in the last part.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #344
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm glad they chose Mondo Gecko, Slash and Leatherhead as the Mutanimals to appear in the Big BlowOut.

Just wish the Original Cartoon Turtles would've acknowledged that LeatherHead and Slash were villains in their world, but they probably thought about it anyway.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #345
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Just wish the Original Cartoon Turtles would've acknowledged that LeatherHead and Slash were villains in their world, but they probably thought about it anyway.
Even then Slash only appeared in 3 eps, and Leatherhead only 4 eps. It's not like they were major characters.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #346
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'm surprised Mona Lisa didn't show up, she's easily the most popular one off character in the FW series, even more than Mondo Gecko who did appear, but it doesn't make the episode any worse/better.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #347
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I'm surprised Mona Lisa didn't show up, she's easily the most popular one off character in the FW series, even more than Mondo Gecko who did appear, but it doesn't make the episode any worse/better.
Imagine if 80s Raph met Nick Mona Lisa, what would he say to Nick Raph?
Old 01-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #348
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
what would he say to Nick Raph?
I don't dig Bald Lizard Women, especially without a scarf.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:58 AM   #349
newfan
Mad Scientist

This is just airing here now. (even though I saw it already)

I do prefer the OT's in 2D, their 3D, though still good looks more.... solid colour than the 2012's, 2012s look..softer, can't really explain, that's the best I can. Obviously meant to be that way.

It would have made more sense to have had the foot in the last ep helping but but I get that was down to too many characters being in it already.

Said before, but KMR did do a good 80s Shredder. Just such a different character from the one he portrayed.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #350
mikey22
Stone Warrior

i was glad mond and slash were in mainly for corey feldman and robbie rist to get in on the go home show not only did u have old tmnt voices but u had the old movie voices too
mikey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:54 PM   #351
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

As someone who had very little good to say about this cartoon when it first started, I have to say: I am quite pleased with what the show evolved into in its final season. While I wouldn't call it a favorite, they've bolstered their strengths and dealt with their weaknesses, and the result is quite pleasant.

As for this arc, I quite enjoyed it! The IDW books showed that Bebop and Rocksteady actually make some really compelling protagonists, and this continues the trend--this might be the most solid character work the series has ever done. The various character dynamics are really great, and very fun.

As for the question of how the Fred Wolf turtles were handled, I feel the writing generally did a better job than Turtles Forever in capturing their specific voices (having the original voice actors certainly helps). That said, given how central "the original cartoon turtles kinda suck" is to the whole story, the writing also feels mean-spirited in a way the earlier crossover did not. Additionally, I feel the comment made earlier, about how the writing has to ignore all the silliness from the 2012 in order to make the contrast work, is spot on: the writing is cheating a little. In any case, none of this is enough to ruin what was in general a really good time, and a great de facto ending to the series.

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #352
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
As someone who had very little good to say about this cartoon when it first started, I have to say: I am quite pleased with what the show evolved into in its final season. While I wouldn't call it a favorite, they've bolstered their strengths and dealt with their weaknesses, and the result is quite pleasant.

As for this arc, I quite enjoyed it! The IDW books showed that Bebop and Rocksteady actually make some really compelling protagonists, and this continues the trend--this might be the most solid character work the series has ever done. The various character dynamics are really great, and very fun.

As for the question of how the Fred Wolf turtles were handled, I feel the writing generally did a better job than Turtles Forever in capturing their specific voices (having the original voice actors certainly helps). That said, given how central "the original cartoon turtles kinda suck" is to the whole story, the writing also feels mean-spirited in a way the earlier crossover did not. Additionally, I feel the comment made earlier, about how the writing has to ignore all the silliness from the 2012 in order to make the contrast work, is spot on: the writing is cheating a little. In any case, none of this is enough to ruin what was in general a really good time, and a great de facto ending to the series.
I feel at their core, minus the catchphrases or the new personality quirks like Leo being a Trekkie and Din having a crush on April, they're not all that different, so they really have to play up the 'our Turtles are cool and the old Turtles were lame' to separate them.

I mean the 2012 Turtles also eat nothing but pizza and they just switched cowabunga for booyakasha. They have a part dealing with the OT Turtles actually using their weapons... When the OT Turtles HAVE been using their weapons to slice up robot Foot Soldiers for years. Hell, the 2012 started slicing up robot Foot Soldiers too, and for the same reason, censorship against bloody violence.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #353
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
As for the question of how the Fred Wolf turtles were handled, I feel the writing generally did a better job than Turtles Forever in capturing their specific voices (having the original voice actors certainly helps). That said, given how central "the original cartoon turtles kinda suck" is to the whole story, the writing also feels mean-spirited in a way the earlier crossover did not. Additionally, I feel the comment made earlier, about how the writing has to ignore all the silliness from the 2012 in order to make the contrast work, is spot on: the writing is cheating a little.
God, yes. I very much agree with you on this, especially the part about the second appearance being much more mean-spirited than the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post

I mean the 2012 Turtles also eat nothing but pizza and they just switched cowabunga for booyakasha. They have a part dealing with the OT Turtles actually using their weapons... When the OT Turtles HAVE been using their weapons to slice up robot Foot Soldiers for years. Hell, the 2012 started slicing up robot Foot Soldiers too, and for the same reason, censorship against bloody violence.
Again, I also agree with this as well.

Look, I have mad respect and love for 2003 and 2012's shows, but their assessment (let's face it, these episodes are basically their view of the 1987 show) of the 80s turtles is disdain, annoyance, and an arrogant "lol our show's better than his garbage". I honestly didn't think 2012 would feel this way given that they reference the 80s canon, but maybe those were mandates from Nickelodeon/Viacom? Either way, it's disappointing. I'm not saying the 1987 series is amazing, it's pretty cheesy and convoluted, however it deserves a much better treatment than either of these shows gave it.

Oh, and it's obvious, to me, that the writers for Turtles Forever and the 2012 crossovers saw, like, one episode from season 3-5 then wrapped. None of these writers seem to have watched any of the better episodes from the 1987 show or the Red Sky episodes (which are much more serious).

Last edited by superstaff; 04-04-2021 at 09:52 AM.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote