The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #41
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
People are quick to pretend the PD movies are being forgot about until last weekend I came across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGsWrxjK4jw&t=40s
Those are based off James Jean's artwork, and are way better looking then the PD designs.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #42
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Those statues have literally zero connection to the PD films. They're not based on them in any way whatsoever. Even if they were, I don't see what point it would make. Japanese adult collector goods always usually drop a year two after the initial release of that which they are based on, sometimes longer. There are OOTS figures that haven't even come out yet (& rumor is they're being cancelled due to a lack of interest).

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #43
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Those are based off James Jean's artwork, and are way better looking then the PD designs.
Oh my gosh you're right although the villain designs look almost the same. Interesting.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:42 AM   #44
Leolead
Stone Warrior

I want a Mirage adaptation so, so bad. With the success of Deadpool & Logan, studios have to be waking up and realizing that dark and gritty CBMs can be blockbuster movies. I want TMNT to go back to it's dark, GROUNDED, street-level roots. No giant robot Shredders, no portals opening up in the sky- It's the best way to completely differentiate it from the PD films. My dream for years is to have a dark film with Raid-esque action scenes with serious drama and conflict. Maybe one day, right?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #45
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
I want a Mirage adaptation so, so bad. With the success of Deadpool & Logan, studios have to be waking up and realizing that dark and gritty CBMs can be blockbuster movies. I want TMNT to go back to it's dark, GROUNDED, street-level roots. No giant robot Shredders, no portals opening up in the sky- It's the best way to completely differentiate it from the PD films. My dream for years is to have a dark film with Raid-esque action scenes with serious drama and conflict. Maybe one day, right?
I can only hope.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #46
sdp
-

I think if a new movie is in development it'd be aimed at a much younger audience and would be all animated. I don't think they would make another live-action movie for a while after the PD ones.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think if a new movie is in development it'd be aimed at a much younger audience and would be all animated. I don't think they would make another live-action movie for a while after the PD ones.
I think low chance of any of an animated theatrical TMNT film... but them taking "We need to go even younger now!" from OotS is a very real threat.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #48
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think the next tmnt film almost definetly be a Rise of the Tmnt film.

Its not uncommon to have feature length films based on animated shows, theatrical or not. Theres Teen Titans Go the movie, Regular Show the movie, and so on.

I think Rise being an 11 minute episodic lighthearted show will make it so that a movie is more likely than the 2012 series since those type of animated shows are more likely to get film adaptations these days.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #49
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I still think they are going to go the Spiderman: Homecoming route; already have the turtles and the foot clan established, and it just tells a story big enough to fit a movie. King of Like an episode to a tmnt series, expanded to fit a full theatrical movie.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 05-15-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #50
KillCrites
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I still think they are going to go the Spiderman: Homecoming route; already have the turtles and the foot clan established, and it just tells a story big enough to fit a movie. King of Like an episode to a tmnt series, expanded to fit a full theatrical movie.
One of my favorite things about TMNT 2007 is that it takes place after the Turtles killed Shredder and gave us a new story we've never seen before.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #51
Galactus
Foot Elite

So y'know when a movie under performs and reps from the studio come out and say that while the box office fell short of expectations they are still pleased with the results and you get producers and actors saying there is still talk of a sequel months or even years later.

Notice how none of that happened after Out Of The Shadows tanked. Two weeks into it's run Sumner Redstone publicly declared it a failure, it was blamed for Paramounts market share dropping and even Nemec and Applebaum said there was not going to be part 3. The movie was such a disappointment no one involved could even commit to pretending there was a chance at another sequel.

Right now I imagine that if anyone at Paramount brings up the words Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles they have to put a dollar in the swear jar so yeah it's very unlikely a new movie is being developed right now.

If Rise of the TMNT ends up being successful (and I mean as big as the previous iteration) then I suspect the people at Nickelodeon will have some words with Paramount about the possibility of a new movie but frankly there would have to do a lot of convincing. I doubt they would make a live action version of Rise but I doubt they will have done any introspection with what went wrong with the previous movie to do something more original. You don't have to go far online to encounter the attitude that TMNT only works as a Saturday morning cartoon or that it's too much of an 80/90s concept to be successful now, both provable ******** but I guarantee those kind of thoughts at least passed through the heads of Paramount execs after OOTS shadows tanked and it's that attitude people pitching a TMNT movie are going to have to overcome. Writing off TMNT completely is a lot easier than having to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it.

That's before you get into the idea that TMNT has a lot of problems that a lot of similar comic book movies don't have; like the protagonists are four anthropomorphic animals. I imagine they will still be set on full motion and facial capture cgi again but coming up with whole new 3D models from scratch. That's an expensive proposition and this time they don't have the assurance they did back in 2014 that at very least they'll get their investment back.

Last edited by Galactus; 05-16-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #52
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
So y'know when a movie under performs and reps from the studio come out and say that while the box office fell short of expectations they are still pleased with the results and you get producers and actors saying there is still talk of a sequel months or even years later.

Notice how none of that happened after Out Of The Shadows tanked. Two weeks into it's run Sumner Redstone publicly declared it a failure, it was blamed for Paramounts market share dropping and even Nemec and Applebaum said there was not going to be part 3. The movie was such a disappointment no one involved could even commit to pretending there was a chance at another sequel.

Right now I imagine that if anyone at Paramount brings up the words Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles they have to a dollar in the swear jar so yeah it's very unlikely a new movie is being developed right now.

If Rise of the TMNT ends up being successful (and I mean as big as the previous iteration) then I suspect the people at Nickelodeon will have some words with Paramount about the possibility of a new movie but frankly there would have to do a lot of convincing. I doubt they would make a live action version of Rise but I doubt they will have done any introspection with what went wrong with the previous movie to do something more original. You don't have to go far online to encounter the attitude that TMNT only works as a Saturday morning cartoon or that it's too much of an 80/90s concept to be successful now, both provable ******** but I guarantee those kind of thoughts at least passed through the heads of Paramount execs after OOTS shadows tanked and it's that attitude people pitching a TMNT movie are going to have to overcome. Writing off TMNT completely is a lot easier than having to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it.

That's before you get into the idea that TMNT has a lot of problems that a lot of similar comic book movies don't have; like the protagonists are four anthropomorphic animals. I imagine they will still be set on full motion and facial capture cgi again but coming up with whole new 3D models from scratch. That's an expensive proposition and this time they don't have the assurance they did back in 2014 that at very least they'll get their investment back.
Maybe they can do it as a CGI movie like TMNT 2007. But if they did. I bet it'll tonally be more like Rise of the TMNT. cause with that series coming out this year. The show is being aimed at a younger audience. If Teen Titans Go can get a movie. Don't be surprise if they did a animated movie version of Rise of the TMNT.

As it stands right now. Nickelodeon sees TMNT as a kids property. and they are gonna tone it down to be for a younger demographic in the foreseeable future.

If you want your TMNT to be more mature. Your gonna have to read the IDW comics. Since that comic series can get mature sometimes.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:57 PM   #53
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Maybe they can do it as a CGI movie like TMNT 2007. But if they did. I bet it'll tonally be more like Rise of the TMNT. cause with that series coming out this year. The show is being aimed at a younger audience. If Teen Titans Go can get a movie. Don't be surprise if they did a animated movie version of Rise of the TMNT.

As it stands right now. Nickelodeon sees TMNT as a kids property. and they are gonna tone it down to be for a younger demographic in the foreseeable future.

If you want your TMNT to be more mature. Your gonna have to read the IDW comics. Since that comic series can get mature sometimes.
I personally would not want another animated feature and I don't think one is very likely. How many cgi animated movies that are not Pixar are hits? The ones that are look like Pixar and TMNT '07 pushed TMNT into that mould as much as they could and while it made a profit it wasn't anything to write home about. Viacom did not acquire the franchise to make small change, they want big returns on their investments.

Sure, Nickelodeon bought TMNT because they wanted a kids property specifically aimed at young boys but Paramount saw TMNT as their then next big action/adventure property specifically an answer to losing the distribution of Iron Man movies so much so that at one point they wanted the guy who wrote that movie to write TMNT.

They ended up going for the Michael Bay approach which was a mistake but the idea that they did not instantly treat it 100% as a kiddie product was not. Less good that the lesson they took for the sequel was to make it exclusively for kids and nostalgics which backfired so badly it' all but buried the franchise in movies. Leaning heavily on the Fred Wolf show for inspiration and owning the silliness are two things that should never be done again. Of course it's sadly more than possible that what they take from this is that they did not do this enough (as if that's possible) which is ugh.

I could see a potential live action movie using elements of Rise of the TMNT (if the show is successful) but I cannot see a bunch of studio execs wanting anything that is not instantly recognizable as TMNT to a broad audience and a recognizable villain not Baron Whatsisname.

I think that's also a big creative hurdle to get past. As much as some people may roll their eyes and think "what again?" if they use Shredder other than Krang most of the well known TMNT rogues are conceptually poor choices for movies.

I see a lot of fans saying the Rat King would be a good villain (and yeah he'd be creepy) but what do you picture a final act climactic battle would be in a TMNT vs Rat King movie? The turtles fighting rats - regular rats. Try selling that a movie studio.

Same thing with Leatherhead. Plus what kind of scheme would Leatherhead concoct that the turtles would have to thwart?

Baxter would be an interesting one. If they are going Fred Wolf they could have some interesting aerial fights and any version could have a giant robot but it still seems kinda weak for the main villain of a movie. Sure, you can alter them somewhat. Beef them and their mo up a bit. Spider-Man: Homecoming made the Vulture into an engaging villain...somewhat. He had a compelling motivation and surprising (at the time) connection to Peter I still think that final battle on the quinjet wasn't really strong enough.

There are some other villains that could creatively carry a movie. Bishop, Hun, Null, Karai if we're treating her as a villain but they are not widely known and you would need to get an audience on board first and that means Oroku Saki first.

Of course I still say the likelihood of any TMNT movie happening in the near future is low but it's fun to speculate.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:34 AM   #54
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Maybe they'll even take a page from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (The most successful Comic book movie franchise ever) and go back to the comics in an attempt to find the "souls" of the characters and what made us all fall in love with them in the first place.
The MWS series and Archie comics made most of us TMNT-fans, while for some it was the 4 Kids seires. But none of them are original.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #55
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post

Right now I imagine that if anyone at Paramount brings up the words Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles they have to put a dollar in the swear jar so yeah it's very unlikely a new movie is being developed right now.

I think this is as good a guess as any. We are essentially all taking shots in the dark here.

I really do think the studio may see something they like in the IDW version of the TMNT if they look close enough. I'm not following the series anymore, as the plotting and scripting doesn't really work for me, but the twist on the origin could add the human element that may appeal to execs, or perhaps make the turtles seem more relatable.
I don't think most of us see it that way, but they may. And it would be really exciting to see this fresh take up on the big screen. I have no problem with the Mirage origin. It works great for me. But I do think there is a lot of fun to be had with the IDW version.

How cool would a slow reveal of the turtles be? For the first act of the film we jump back and forth between feudal Japan and modern day New York, building up the story of Hamato Yoshi and his sons in Japan, while building plot and showing only the briefest glimpses of the TMNT, as they stick to the shadows and show off the type of secluded and hidden lifestyle they've been placed into. Act 1 ends with the execution of the Yoshi family as well as the full, frontal reveal of the turtles (as well as the fact that they are indeed the Yoshi clan), as we ramp up towards their reunion with the Foot and Shredder throughout the second and third act.

A tale of family executed and reunited hundreds of years later in a "city made of light". It could maybe lend itself to the gravitas and scope that some of these big summer blockbusters require, without resorting to whipping out a computer generated technodrome.

Last edited by AquaParade; 05-17-2018 at 10:13 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

You guys keep bringing up IDW, the series is relatively obscure. Nowadays it only sells around 10,000 copies a month. Most people have no idea it exists.

IDW has basically been a combination of all other TMNT series anyway, so a movie doing that might as well be its own thing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Doing a "movie version of IDW" would be pretty meaningless, IMHO. That said, I wouldn't mind at all seeing the IDW's reincarnation aspect brought into films but just... not much else from it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #58
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Doing a "movie version of IDW" would be pretty meaningless, IMHO. That said, I wouldn't mind at all seeing the IDW's reincarnation aspect brought into films but just... not much else from it.
So no 10th incarnation of Bebop and Rocksteady for you then?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #59
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You guys keep bringing up IDW, the series is relatively obscure. Nowadays it only sells around 10,000 copies a month. Most people have no idea it exists.

IDW has basically been a combination of all other TMNT series anyway, so a movie doing that might as well be its own thing.
I'd say every tmnt comic is pretty obscure. But that doesn't mean pulling from some type of source material isn't a great move.

It's not like the filmmakers or the audience have to follow the IDW series to appreciate a fresh take on the origin that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well...yeah, I agree. The origin is essentially all you can take from IDW. Everything else is essentially a melting pot, but the origin is the one element that is truly unique.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:33 AM   #60
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
So no 10th incarnation of Bebop and Rocksteady for you then?
To be fair, you could write them out of the story pretty easily. They only show up in about 10 out of 82+ main issues and don't accomplish much.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote