The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
mustafa
Thug

The reissued figures from 1992-1999

Hey everyone. I am new to these forums and basically joined just to seek a few answers to a bunch of questions. To let you all understand where I am coming from, I first became a fan of the TMNT in kindergarten, but didn't get into the collecting phase until around 1994, when I was around age 11. Even then, I didn't understand the collectability, and basically tore apart every package to have my figures loose. During this time I really built up my collection quite a bit, and basically every figure I bought had a collector's card.

Anyway, enough about me. I have had several questions, and while some have been answered from visual evidence I have found on sites like myteefinestuff.com, there are some that are still unanswered. It could probably be answered in one simple question. Does anyone have a complete list of the reissued TMNT, ranging from the blue header cards, to the collector's cards, collector's coins, and purple warning labels that were released only to Wal-Mart stores? The only thing we know for sure is that not every single figure pictured on the back was reissued.

The earliest reissues, from late 1992 to early 1993, which came on a blue card with close-ups of the heads of the four TMNT. It seems during the first run of reissues, they made a valid attempt to make all the figures available. There is a short list of what I have not seen. Can someone confirm if any of the following were available on these types of cards?

Dirtbag
Space Usagi
Sergeant Bananas
Hot Doggin' Mike
Slam Dunkin' Don (White Jersey variant was made in '94 w/ collector card)
Ace Duck (was made in '94 w/ collector card)
Wingnut
Napoleon Bonafrog
Muckman
Mutagen Man
Triceraton
Pizzaface
Scumbug

The following figures appeared on card backs starting in '94, but either weren't reissued, or didn't appear until later.

Hose 'em Down Don
Make My Day Leo
Skateboardin' Mike (was made in '99 in that last batch sent to KB Stores)
Slap Shot Leo (was made in '96 in that last batch sent to Wal-Mart)
Shell Slammin' Mike

As for the figures that were made with collector cards, there are a few I have questions about. I have seen most of these, but since myteefinestuff has revealed that a Tokka with collector card does exist, it has made me question the possibility that I missed some. For starters, can someone provide a picture of a Rat King with collector card? I have never seen one, yet I have seen one show up on eBay without a collector card, in the same type of packaging it would have come in if it was made with one. As for the Movie Star Turtles, I have only seen Don and Raph with collector cards, but since all 4 Movie Star Turtles were in the Wal-Mart batch, I have been wondering if Leo and Mike were made with collector cards in limited quantities. As for the Sports turtles, the only ones I have seen with collector cards are Grand Slammin' Raph, Shell Kickin' Raph and the White Jersey variant of Slam Dunkin' Don. Were any other sports TMNT made with collector cards? And the Sewer Heroes line, does anyone know why Mighty Bebop never got a re-release while the other 3 consistently have?

The TMNT that got reissued with collector coins in 1995. I have seen most of those, and I only have a few questions. Was there an Undercover Leo with just the collector card, or does this only exist with both the collector card and coin? Also, does anyone have a picture of an Ace Duck with collector coin? I have never seen one.

The TMNT that were released just to Wal-Mart in 1996 that had the purple warning labels; I have seen a total of 32. If anyone has a different count, I will post later with a complete listing of what I have seen. Staying in the same year, they did a pretty good job with the "Ninja Power" series. I had seen 28 of the 31 figures that were supposed to be available. The only 3 I never saw were Mutatin' April, Mutatin' Rahzar and Kung Fu Donatello.

The last batch that was re-released to KB in 1998-1999, I have a total count of 27 that I have seen in actual stores. There are 2 that I saw on auction sites like eBay, but have never seen in actual KB stores. These figures would be Super Mike and Movie Star Raph. I have seen auctions for these figures, and the packages do have the green warning labels that were on the packages for the figures released to KB during this time. Since I have seen pictures of those 2, it makes me wonder if they were produced in limited quantities, and if there are others that I haven't seen.
mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Dirtbag (never re-released)
Space Usagi (never re-released)
Sergeant Bananas (never re-released)
Hot Doggin' Mike (never re-released)
Slam Dunkin' Don (White Jersey variant was made in '94 w/ collector card) (red version re-released in 1999)
Ace Duck (was made in '94 w/ collector card) (yes both with hat on and off)
Wingnut (never re-released)
Napoleon Bonafrog (never re-released)
Muckman (never re-released)
Mutagen Man (never re-released)
Triceraton (never re-released besides as a shogun figure and molded in green plastic)
Pizzaface (never re-released)
Scumbug (never re-released)

Hose 'em Down Don (never re-released)
Make My Day Leo (never re-released)
Skateboardin' Mike (was made in '99 in that last batch sent to KB Stores) (only time to be re-released)
Slap Shot Leo (was made in '96 in that last batch sent to Walmart) (actually it was 1995 with the purple warning label and I do recall it coming out around 1994 with a collector card as well)
Shell Slammin' Mike (never re-released)

Rat King with collector card (it does exist I've seen it but don't have any photos it was released around the same time the first tokka I have with collector card came out and was still on the orig. card style before they did the hanger type of blister cards).

All 4 movie star turtles did in fact come with collector cards in 1994 I can post photos of the ones I have if you like they where also re-released in 1995 on the purple warning label blistercard without the collector cards. They where re-released as well in 1992 on the blue blister card where Raphael is holding the figure as well and then re-released on the new 1994 sewer design blister card without the collectorcards just like the rat king one you saw many figure where released like that and are very rare I have quite a few like that.

The only other sports turtle I know of that came out with a collector card was slapshot Leo.

And Mighty Bebop was never re-released after his initial release in 1992.

Undercover Leo I have only seen come with collector card and coin together not separated.

Ace Duck was never released with a collector coin.

Post your list of purple warning labels and I'll compare and tell you if you're missing any.

I also have every variant of the ninja power series so if you have any more questions about that just ask.

And You're correct those 3 figures never made it to that line of re-releases.

With the 1998-1999 kb toy stores/ big lots green warning lables re-releases tell me who you've seen and I'll let you know if your missing any others.
And I have Super Mike but I've never once seen movie star raph with the green warning lable.

I hope this has helped you.
p.s. i have photos if you need to see anything.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
mustafa
Thug

I know the copyright on the back of the packages with the purple warning labels say 1995, but I do remember the year being 1996 when they were on the shelves of Wal-Mart stores. After all, 1995 was the year the figures were reissued with collector coins. Anyway, the following is a list of what I saw with the purple warning labels and no card or coin packages with the figures.

Movie Star Super Shredder
Rahzar
Tokka
Krang's Android Body
Leonardo, with Storage Shell
Warrior Metalhead Michaelangelo
April II (Purple and Yellow outfit)
Movie Star Splinter
Movie Star Foot Soldier
Grand Slammin' Raph
Movie Star Leo
Movie Star Don
Movie Star Raph
Movie Star Mike
Casey Jones
April O'Neil
Splinter
Mondo Gecko
Shredder
Bebop
Rocksteady
Krang
Foot Soldier
Baxter Stockman
Super Mike
Super Don
Rhinoman
Shogun Leo
Shogun Don
Shogun Mike
Shogun Raph
Slap Shot Leo

As for the 1998-1999 KB/Big Lots batches, I saw the following in 1998:

Leonardo
Donatello
Raphael
Michaelangelo
April O'Neil (orange and blue stripes with "Press")
Splinter
Shredder
Foot Soldier
Rocksteady
Bebop
Tokka
Krang's Android Body
Robotic Foot Soldier
Krang

And, the following in 1999:

Casey Jones
Don, the Undercover Turtle
Skateboardin' Mike
Slam Dunkin' Don
Punker Don
Delta Team Don
Movie Star Splinter
Movie Star Foot Soldier
Grand Slammin' Raph
Toon Mike
Robotic Bebop
Robotic Rocksteady

As for the Movie Star Raph with a green warning label, I did see it show up on eBay, but it was either late 1998 or early 1999 when these figures were in stores. Again, I never saw this or a Super Mike on the shelves at KB or Big Lots.

Also, did the original Mondo Gecko appear on the first reissue card? (blue background with close-up of the heads of the TMNT) I'm assuming it was, since there are at least 3 reissue variants I have seen (1. purple sewer card in late '93, shortly before the collector card reissues were made, 2. the collector card reissue, 3. the purple warning label)

If anyone has them I would like to see pics of Rat King, Movie Star Leo, Movie Star Mike and Slap Shot Leo with collector cards. I have never seen them.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

these two came out in 1993 but the back of the box says 1992 Note how the backer card still is using the old punch style and isnt a hanger yet.

And I'm not sure if you are aware but there are 2 differnt kinds of collector cards. The first run had an ugly generic version while the later looked like the box it's self.
Heres an example of the first run Note they are still using the orignal card punchings. And once again these where released in 1993 but the back of the box says 1992.

And then we have the versions of the collector cards that are actully from 1994 the ones most people see.

Then we have the 1995 warning lable figures.

Last edited by VaughnMichael; 06-14-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Then theres the 1998-1999 kb/ biglots re-releases with the green warning lable.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
mustafa
Thug

That is the first time I had seen that version of Movie Star Leo. The Tokka and Rat King are figures I didn't see in stores, but I saw pics of those two on myteefinestuff.com. The others I remember seeing in stores.

I kind of wonder what was factored into the decision of which figures would be re-released. I kind of think the Playmates staff pretty much chose their favorites, or they decided based on past sales per figure. As for favorites, it seems like Donatello is their favorite of the four turtles with Raphael being a close second. The reason why I think this is because it seems like the Don and Raph figures were too easy to find with collector cards. I would always see tons of Movie Star Don, Movie Star Raph, Slam Dunkin' Don, Grand Slammin' Raph and Shell Kickin' Raph on store shelves. Could it be that the Movie Star Leo and Movie Star Mike figures with collector cards were in that early batch, such as those Tokka and Chrome Dome figures?

At the moment, I have been working on a spreadsheet listing all the figures pictured on the card backs and stating which re-releases each figure got. I have the re-releases split up into 4 categories; Pre-Collector Card (1992-1993), Collector Card (1994), Collector Coin (1995), Warning Label (1996). In making this spreadsheet, I ignored the 1998-1999 KB/Big Lots releases.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa View Post
That is the first time I had seen that version of Movie Star Leo. The Tokka and Rat King are figures I didn't see in stores, but I saw pics of those two on myteefinestuff.com. The others I remember seeing in stores.

I kind of wonder what was factored into the decision of which figures would be re-released. I kind of think the Playmates staff pretty much chose their favorites, or they decided based on past sales per figure. As for favorites, it seems like Donatello is their favorite of the four turtles with Raphael being a close second. The reason why I think this is because it seems like the Don and Raph figures were too easy to find with collector cards. I would always see tons of Movie Star Don, Movie Star Raph, Slam Dunkin' Don, Grand Slammin' Raph and Shell Kickin' Raph on store shelves. Could it be that the Movie Star Leo and Movie Star Mike figures with collector cards were in that early batch, such as those Tokka and Chrome Dome figures?

At the moment, I have been working on a spreadsheet listing all the figures pictured on the card backs and stating which re-releases each figure got. I have the re-releases split up into 4 categories; Pre-Collector Card (1992-1993), Collector Card (1994), Collector Coin (1995), Warning Label (1996). In making this spreadsheet, I ignored the 1998-1999 KB/Big Lots releases.
Yeah I've never seen another re-release like it.
Actully so you know the first time the collector coins poped up was mid to end of 1994 then became more previlant in 1995.
And why are you ignoring the 1998-1999 releases?
And I'm not sure why they choose what they do but i agree it's odd but I dont mind the choices made because don and raph are my fave figures.
And for some odd reason i cant find my pictures of movie star leo and mike with collector cards. I'll keep looking though.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
mustafa
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
And why are you ignoring the 1998-1999 releases?
Well, I guess because there was a gap between the re-releases and the fact that the back of the cards was the same as the 1988 originals, while the prior re-releases at least had the pizza format on the back of the card to show continuity. IMO the 1998-1999 sets belong in a category all their own.

As for the listing, it has all figures that appeared on the card backs from 1992-1994, and all the figures that were brand new in 1995. I omitted certain figures that appeared on the backs of these 1995 figures for obvious reasons...we all know none of them were re-released, at least in this format.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa View Post
Well, I guess because there was a gap between the re-releases and the fact that the back of the cards was the same as the 1988 originals, while the prior re-releases at least had the pizza format on the back of the card to show continuity. IMO the 1998-1999 sets belong in a category all their own.

As for the listing, it has all figures that appeared on the card backs from 1992-1994, and all the figures that were brand new in 1995. I omitted certain figures that appeared on the backs of these 1995 figures for obvious reasons...we all know none of them were re-released, at least in this format.
It's true there was a bit of a laps but the there where other figures being released inbetween the time of 1995-1998 like the coil force, and others.
And the card back isn't the same as the 1988 figures to be honest for starters they dont show the weapons that the characters come with and the card never changed to add more characters along with the fact that some of them had colored images for the clip and collect cards info on the back and some had black and white. This is true they do but I think they look rather nice next to the 1995 re-releases or the figures with collector coins but with the way your thinking the 1995 warriors and adventure figures should be in a list all their own as well since the back of the box's change character listings in a very odd list at that.
And yes this is true figures like Sergant bananas was never re-released ever.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
mustafa
Thug

It looks like I have a little bit of work to do. I tried to post my file attachment, but apparently Excel files can't be posted. So, I copied it into a Word File and it was well over the max size. So, I will make smaller word docs just listing what has been confirmed for each set of re-releases. Most of them I remember seeing on store shelves, or found pictures through searching online (eBay, Google, Myteefinestuff, various collection photos on forums).
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Sounds like everything's under control here...
Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
mustafa
Thug

Alright, here goes. Instead of uploading Word docs, I decided I would just copy and paste. I already posted above my findings for the 1995 Purple Warning Labels and 1998-1999 Green Warning Labels. If there are errors in my listings, it is probably in the listings posted below.

1992-1993 set of re-releases.

Antrax
April II (Yellow and Purple)
April, The Ninja Newscaster
April, The Ravishing Reporter
April O’Neil (Orange and Blue Stripes w/ “Press”)
Baxter Stockman
Bebop
Casey Jones
Chrome Dome
Doctor El
Foot Soldier
General Traag
Grand Slammin’ Raph
Hothead
King Lionheart
Krang
Merdude
Metalhead
Mondo Gecko (was this one available on the blue card?)
Monty Moose
Movie Star Don
Movie Star Foot Soldier
Movie Star Leo
Movie Star Mike
Movie Star Raph
Movie Star Splinter
Rahzar
Rat King
Ray Fillet
Rock ‘n Roll Mondo Gecko
Rocksteady
Scale Tail
Shredder
Splinter
T.D. Tossin’ Leo
Tokka
Usagi Yojimbo

1993-1994 set of re-releases with collector cards

Ace Duck
April II (Purple and Yellow)
Baxter Stockman
Bebop
Casey Jones
Chrome Dome
Foot Soldier
General Traag
Grand Slammin’ Raph
Hothead
Krang
Mondo Gecko
Movie Star Don
Movie Star Foot Soldier
Movie Star Leo (?)
Movie Star Mike (?)
Movie Star Raph
Movie Star Splinter
Rahzar
Rat King (?)
Rhinoman
Robotic Bebop
Robotic Rocksteady
Rocksteady
Shell Kickin’ Raph
Shredder
Slam Dunkin’ Don (White Jersey)
Slap Shot Leo (?)
Splinter
Storage Shell Don
Storage Shell Leo
Storage Shell Mike
Storage Shell Raph
Super Don
Super Mike
Tokka

1995 re-releases with collector coins. I have not kept track of the card/coin combos. I just remember seeing the following with a coin packaged with the figure.

Casey Jones
Foot Soldier
Krang’s Android Body
Movie Star Foot Soldier
Rhinoman
Robotic Bebop
Robotic Rocksteady
Rocksteady
Splinter
Shogun Shredder
Shogun Splinter
Super Don
Super Mike

Last edited by mustafa; 06-14-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #13
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Mondo Gecko (was this one available on the blue card?)
never ever seen it but I could be wrong.
btw I don't like how your slumping things together into the wrong dates thats the only issue I have with your list...like I told you those first collector card releases where made in 1993 not 1994.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 PM   #14
mustafa
Thug

Fixed it. This should be as close to complete as possible. If not, feel free to make revisions.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:56 AM   #15
mustafa
Thug

I have now made a complete listing of the collector coins that were made, and next to each one I have listed the figures that particular coin was available with. I find it kind of interesting that some figures had the same coin.

Adventurer Turtles (Arctic Don, Deep Sea Diver Leo, Safari Mike)
April O'Neil (April O'Neil)
Bebop (Robotic Bebop)
Casey Jones (Casey Jones)
Foot Soldier (Foot Soldier, Movie Star Foot Soldier)
Krang's Android Body (Krang's Android Body)
Rhinoman (Rhinoman)
Rocksteady (Rocksteady, Robotic Rocksteady, Warrior Rocksteady)
Shredder (Movie Star Super Shredder, Shogun Shredder)
Splinter (Splinter, Shogun Splinter)
Sewer Hero Turtles (Super Mike, Super Don)
Sumo Turtles (Sumo Mike, Sumo Raph)
Undercover Turtle (Undercover Leo)
Warrior Chrome Dome (Warrior Chrome Dome)
Warrior Metalhead Turtle (Warrior Metalhead Mike)
Warrior Winged Turtles (Warrior Winged Don, Warrior Winged Leo)
Old 06-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Edit: nevermind the way you wrote that confused me for a moment.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #17
BigApple3AM
Mad Scientist

I noticed you guys said undercover leo has only been seen with coin and collector card, but i'm pretty sure the one i have only has the card, and here's one on ebay with only a coin:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TMNT-Ninja-Turtl...QQcmdZViewItem

For example here's a don with only card:

Raph with card only:

Mike with card only:

I'm pretty sure the undercover turtles all came with either coin only, card and coin, or card only. Variants are too annoying, I'm just collecting one of each moc.
BigApple3AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #18
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectocooler View Post
I noticed you guys said undercover leo has only been seen with coin and collector card, but i'm pretty sure the one i have only has the card, and here's one on ebay with only a coin:

For example here's a don with only card:

Raph with card only:

Mike with card only:

I'm pretty sure the undercover turtles all came with either coin only, card and coin, or card only. Variants are too annoying, I'm just collecting one of each moc.
Look real close just like the one I own that undercover leonardo has the card behind him to the left. He was only ever released with a collector card and coin I can asure you of that.
And the reason the other 3 turtles came out with collector cards is because they where released slightly before leonardo was in the batch that had only collector cards. There was a short period where figures had collector cards and coins. And then the cards went all together and it was all coins and then in 1995 it went back to nothing and just the purple warning lable as a way to tell the box's appart.
But no the other 3 turtles never came with coins just collector cards.
EDIT: hahaha infact that is my leonardo I sold it some time ago cause I needed to pay some bills nice to see the people who bought it of me now trying to sell it again poor leo I know it's the one I sold btw because of the seller and the Hills department store tag at the top. Makes me a bit sad actully.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #19
mustafa
Thug

About the packages with purple warning labels, no card or coin and a 1995 copyright. The earliest I ever saw any of these was on the shelves of Wal-Mart sometime after Christmas of 1995. So, I guess technically you can categorize them in 1995, but I distinctly remember seeing these throughout 1996. I remember making many trips to Wal-Mart and there would be shelves full of these as well as shelves full of the "Ninja Power" assortment released in '96 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of TMNT.

I remember the first time I saw these purple label re-released figures. There were bulk quantities on the shelves at Wal-Mart, and the best thing was, these were selling for only $2.96! The "Ninja Power" figures were not available yet, and I was expecting to see these purple label re-releases in other stores, but about a month later I went to K-Mart and didn't see them, but instead saw the "Ninja Power" re-releases for the first time. The next time I went to Wal-Mart, they still had those purple warning label re-releases, but only half the quantity. The other half of the shelves now had the "Ninja Power" figures. Then, 1997 came around and Wal-Mart no longer had these figures. Instead, Playmates had shipped a bunch (half of what was sent to Wal-Mart throughout the previous year) to Target, and a couple of months later Target no longer had them, probably because they were trying to sell them for $3.99 there. However, later in the year they showed up in the bargain bins at KB.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #20
ChicagoTMNTfan1
Thug

So would it be safe to categorize the rereleases as follows:

Blue cardback- 2nd half of 1992/early 1993
Purple cardback/no card no coin/punch tab- 1993
Purple cardback/magenta bricked trading card/punch tab/2nd half of 1993
Purple cardback/purple trading card that matches cardback/hang tab-1994/Slam Dunkin Don White Jersey would have apart if this set as the Walmart exclusive with no purple warning label.
Purple cardback/card & coin/hang tab-1995/1996
Purple cardback/coin/hang tab/1996
Purple cardback/purple warning label on top left (Walmart)-1996

Also, in my research,
Blue Cardback Movie Star Leo does not exist
Purple cardback Rat King with either Trading Card or Coin does not exist
Purple cardback Slap Shot Leo with either Card or Coin does not exist
ChicagoTMNTfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote