The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #61
statik
Foot Soldier

And The Works exclusives start being revealed on Monday. Things are only slow because of Super Bowl weekend but it will pick up. Hopefully once some the works exclusives are revealed we'll see base funders upgrading causing a huge climb in funds.

Laughing my ass off at the $20 comment.
statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #62
Splinter
Radical Rat

We hit the 370K Mark... next unlock is Kickstarter "The Works" Exclusive Splinter at 400K!!

Note from Kickstarter:

Quote:
The next Stretch Goal is for a Splinter Hero pack! The master himself is ready to join the game.

This Hero pack is the first WORKS EXCLUSIVE and comes with a unique miniature, 3 custom Action dice, and a set of Special Moves cards good enough for the sensei himself.

Because it's a FAQ: These Kickstarter heroes will one day see retail in some form. But you're getting them WELL AHEAD of the rest of the world, and they will remain exclusive miniature sculpts. This game has years of expansions planned, but backing the Kickstarter gets you exclusive content well ahead of the retail market.
So the Kickstarter Exclusive stuff will see retail in some form one day. But will differ from the versions in the Kickstarter.

R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - New Episode Guide
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #63
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Is there any way to just buy the figures? It would be great to have IDW TMNT to display. I just don't know if I would get my money's worth for a tabletop game I might play once or twice.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #64
Splinter
Radical Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Is there any way to just buy the figures? It would be great to have IDW TMNT to display. I just don't know if I would get my money's worth for a tabletop game I might play once or twice.
I doubt they'll offer the figures separately. You might be able to buy them later on Ebay from someone breaking down a game.

But you'll likely end up paying way more than you would for the Kickstarter. Especially what's being included for the price.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #65
Splinter
Radical Rat

The gameplay video has been posted. For folks to get some idea of the game.

https://youtu.be/UmRKODCnalM

Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #66
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Glad we finally got some gameplay video. It was quite nice to see how the game works in an actual video.
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #67
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewzard View Post
Glad we finally got some gameplay video. It was quite nice to see how the game works in an actual video.
See, I don't feel like I did get a sense of how the game works. And any game that relies on rolling dice--and leaves that much open to chance--seems a little outdated nowadays.

I think what it comes down to is this: you buy the game based on the TMNT license and have to accept that this campaign will be long over by the time anyone has a chance to truly review the game.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #68
Freeman
Hench Mutant

I'm glad to see that we are making it close to unlock Splinter and that mousers are coming next.
Unfortunately, I think many of us very expecting a real life video with players like developers and Eastman actually playing a board game on a table with mniatures and everything. Not seeing any of that but a computer animated diagram is diapointing to say the least.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #69
Splinter
Radical Rat

There's still an actual playtest video coming soon. This was just to wet whistles.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #70
The Shelf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
See, I don't feel like I did get a sense of how the game works. And any game that relies on rolling dice--and leaves that much open to chance--seems a little outdated nowadays.
Actually, most of the best board games these days use dice quite a bit (e.g. X-Wing, Descent, King of Tokyo, Dead of Winter, etc. just to name a few). Dice don't automatically mean much is open to chance. There is a lot a game can do to help you control the chance.

If you want more detail about how this TMNT game works, the game designer has been revealing a little more about the game every day on this thread:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...s-kevin-wilson
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #71
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shelf View Post
Actually, most of the best board games these days use dice quite a bit (e.g. X-Wing, Descent, King of Tokyo, Dead of Winter, etc. just to name a few). Dice don't automatically mean much is open to chance. There is a lot a game can do to help you control the chance.

If you want more detail about how this TMNT game works, the game designer has been revealing a little more about the game every day on this thread:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...s-kevin-wilson
Sure, games use dice. But based on the segment we saw, whether you do damage and how much, or whether you block and by how much, depends on rolling dice. Aside from King of Tokyo, that completely arbitrary mechanic isn't a part of the last dozen or so games I've played.

At any rate, I hope it's good. I'll probably pick it up, just to support the idea and because, given the exclusive pieces, I can probably recoup my money later if I decide I don't like it and want to sell it.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #72
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Sure, games use dice. But based on the segment we saw, whether you do damage and how much, or whether you block and by how much, depends on rolling dice. Aside from King of Tokyo, that completely arbitrary mechanic isn't a part of the last dozen or so games I've played.

At any rate, I hope it's good. I'll probably pick it up, just to support the idea and because, given the exclusive pieces, I can probably recoup my money later if I decide I don't like it and want to sell it.
But there's more strategy behind it. If you land on a "Chi", you get a functional Wildcard (on top of regaining focus and a slight heal). With planning with your fellow turtles, two of your dice are basically planned out by sharing with your neighbors (unless your Raphael, but he has more dice to make up for not being able to use his fellow turtles' dice, and more chances for the wildcard option, though he still shares dice with the others).

If that's not enough, you can spend focus for a reroll. And if that's not enough, once you've finalized the dice, Leonardo can swap any two dice around after talking with your buddies in planning.

There's definitely an element of luck to it, but there are ways around that (if someone's out of focus, Donatello can give you a point of focus, or regain his own, if nobody needs one).

Who knows what other elements are there that we don't know about (or if other heroes have other abilities to help with random chance).
Old 02-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #73
Freeman
Hench Mutant

I am a bit surprised that on this board we are not discussing that much about this game, while on the KS page we are almost at 5.000 comments
Old 02-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #74
The Shelf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Just because you haven't played many games that use that mechanic doesn't mean it's outdated or too random. It's a very common combat mechanic to use dice for hits and blocks. X-Wing has a huge competitive scene, and aside from a few special cards it has completely dice based combat. Some more games I can name off the top of my head include Imperial Assault, Summoner Wars, Cyclades, Risk Legacy, Nexus Ops; and these are just games I've played. I'm sure there are many more.

As for TMNT, you aren't just stuck with the dice you roll for attack or defense. You can spend focus to reroll attack, defense, or action dice; you can use special attacks to boost your offense or defense abilities; you can spend multiple action dice in one action to perform a single strong attack or choose to spend the dice separately to attempt several weaker attacks; you can share your dice with your teammates to increase their offense or defense abilities. And these are just the things that have been explained by the designer so far. There are also allies, terrain effects, useable map items, and bonuses that carry over from the previous scenario if you were able to win.

Of course, all of this could fall apart in the execution, but the game mechanics so far have me pretty excited to finally have a good TMNT board game I can play with friends.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 AM   #75
old_hob88
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I am a bit surprised that on this board we are not discussing that much about this game, while on the KS page we are almost at 5.000 comments
We'll considering 4,900 of those comments are entitled children complaining, I'm thankful this thread isn't near 5,000 comments..
old_hob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #76
Freeman
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_hob88 View Post
We'll considering 4,900 of those comments are entitled children complaining, I'm thankful this thread isn't near 5,000 comments..
That's also very true ^__^U
I'm also Freeman there to make it easier for dromers to spot me
Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #77
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I think the board game would be fun to play... if you had people to play it with
Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #78
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewzard View Post
There's definitely an element of luck to it, but there are ways around that (if someone's out of focus, Donatello can give you a point of focus, or regain his own, if nobody needs one).
I'm loving everything I'm seeing about this game and have backed The Works pledge.

But in regards to dice, it's as simple as this: You can strategize the absolute best, your opponent can make the worst decisions possible, but at the end of the day, if the dice is in his favour, they win.

I don't mind dice games. I don't mind when dice is used for things that should have an element of randomization behind it(i hate when its used for movement). That being said, I wish it were more like using dice to resolve ties and such instead of rolling X dice and then having to roll another X dice based on the amount of X you rolled. You can strategize all you want, but with this much dice rolling in play, it's very luck oriented.

Not bashing, just stating. I'm sure I'll love this game
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #79
Mewzard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I'm loving everything I'm seeing about this game and have backed The Works pledge.

But in regards to dice, it's as simple as this: You can strategize the absolute best, your opponent can make the worst decisions possible, but at the end of the day, if the dice is in his favour, they win.

I don't mind dice games. I don't mind when dice is used for things that should have an element of randomization behind it(i hate when its used for movement). That being said, I wish it were more like using dice to resolve ties and such instead of rolling X dice and then having to roll another X dice based on the amount of X you rolled. You can strategize all you want, but with this much dice rolling in play, it's very luck oriented.

Not bashing, just stating. I'm sure I'll love this game
While that is true to some extent, remember: You're going to be doing a lot of rolls before the end of the game.

Odds are, even if they have more good rolls, that doesn't mean you will go without good rolls entirely and lose all the time. Good strategy should increase your odds of winning greatly.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #80
old_hob88
Foot Soldier

I'm so glad we unlocked splinter. I'm really excited for this game and can't wait to see what the next stretch goal will be!
old_hob88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
board game, tmnt board game