The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
Vicky82
Emperor

Rise Official Episode Discussion S1 EP2b Donnie's Gifts

I won't bother doing a thread for War and Pizza as a lot of people have seen it already and discussed it in the Mystic Mayhem thread. But if no one has seen War and Pizza, you might as well discuss it in here.

Quote:
Donnie's Gifts
The Turtles have to fight their bad habits and a mutant chef
Clip here

https://tmntvicky.tumblr.com/post/17...e-mutant-ninja

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

And this one was held back for the big premier day...why? (Since this was 2b or whatever number that didn't go online a while ago.)

Was expecting "gifts" to be about talents or whatnot, instead it's just one ep presents made by Donnie...intended to change his brothers. Nice. *sigh* I should know better than to expect, well, better, but it's hard not to expect it of TMNT.

Although "training" Leo to drop the use of "one liners" would have been okay, but really...not sure shock therapy is the way to go.

Best part... Donnie over the speaker phone.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

That episode was a lot of fun. Meat Sweats is prime Playmates-tier kooky, & Johnny Rotten absolutely killed it. I guess i shouldn't be surprised, as the father of punk has always embodied the swaggering villain, & is an amazing stage performer, but yeah his voice acting was legit! I'll look forward to he & his character's return. The turtles using their "gifts" in unlikely ways was a funny gag. Good stuff. I like that this series, like its predecessor, puts a lot of love into the little things that most may not notice, like Donnie's photo on Raph's phone having a snapchat filter on it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That episode was a lot of fun. Meat Sweats is prime Playmates-tier kooky, & Johnny Rotten absolutely killed it. I guess i shouldn't be surprised, as the father of punk has always embodied the swaggering villain, & is an amazing stage performer, but yeah his voice acting was legit! I'll look forward to he & his character's return. The turtles using their "gifts" in unlikely ways was a funny gag. Good stuff. I like that this series, like its predecessor, puts a lot of love into the little things that most may not notice, like Donnie's photo on Raph's phone having a snapchat filter on it.
I could see Meat Sweats mutating a bunch of other common food animals to form his own team. Jerk E. Beef? Rad Rooster? Shrimper?

Last edited by miru; 09-17-2018 at 07:27 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I could see Meat Sweats mutating a bunch of other common good animals to form his own team. Jerk E. Beef? Rad Rooster? Shrimper?
Teddy Spaghetti? Raven Ravioli? Hammy Hamster?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Pretty sure Teddy Spaghetti was a Garbage Pail Kid, or close. But it fits.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
matteso586
Stone Warrior

If Meat Sweats succeeded in eating Donnie, would he gain his intelligence? ... Intelligence is a skill, right?
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I thought it was a fun episode. Donnie then realizing that they don't need to change. but stay the way they are.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #9
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Teddy Spaghetti? Raven Ravioli? Hammy Hamster?
Bears, ravens, and hamsters aren't regularly eaten.
Teddy Tilapia (based on Teddy Roosevelt), Raven Ravioli could still work, but as a sheep. And Hammy could be his right hand man. Hammy Hamster could just be a pig/hamster mix with no human genes.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:41 AM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

But wasn’t there an actual reason for his gifts? He tries a few times to tell them they’re using them wrong but ends up not bothering to explain. I don’t think they were intended to change thier traits.

Maybe they’ll show up again but doesn’t seem like it. I’d like to know how he intended them though.

I never watched the online releases so this was my first time watching War and Pizza. I loved it. The humor is pretty good in this show.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Given this show, it sadly probably was just as simple as Donnie trying to change them. He wasn't saying they were using them wrong until they actually were, such as Leo using it on Meat Sweats instead.

I mean, a shock collar that electrocutes him when he throws out a "one liner" doesn't seem to have any other apparent function unless the damn thing had been malfunctioning and electrocuting him wasn't intended. In which case Donnie should have immediately noticed and been pretty concerned.

It's actually kind of amusing that Donnie wanted to change traits about this version that some/many fans might find annoying (maybe less so for Mikey), but as a brother that kind of sucks of him to do. So that kind of sucks if Donnie has himself become that type.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Don't think too much, guys.... It's really straightforward.
Leonardo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #13
MaximeLoonatic
Hench Mutant

Does anyone knows where I can watch this episode?
MaximeLoonatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #14
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeLoonatic View Post
Does anyone knows where I can watch this episode?
It’s nowhere online yet. It’s airing on Nick now as I’m typing this.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:46 AM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Given this show, it sadly probably was just as simple as Donnie trying to change them. He wasn't saying they were using them wrong until they actually were, such as Leo using it on Meat Sweats instead.

I mean, a shock collar that electrocutes him when he throws out a "one liner" doesn't seem to have any other apparent function unless the damn thing had been malfunctioning and electrocuting him wasn't intended. In which case Donnie should have immediately noticed and been pretty concerned.

It's actually kind of amusing that Donnie wanted to change traits about this version that some/many fans might find annoying (maybe less so for Mikey), but as a brother that kind of sucks of him to do. So that kind of sucks if Donnie has himself become that type.
I still don’t think he was trying to change them exactly. I have no idea about the shock collar but Ralph’s helmet could have just been to help him strategize cause he likes making tech stuff. Not that he purposely wanted to change him. Same reason for Mikey’s suit. Just a cool tech gift to help him out.

They probably won’t revisit the gifts but I wish the writers would have at least explained why he made them. Just a simple line for each would have been enough.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #16
Leonardo2003
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I still don’t think he was trying to change them exactly. I have no idea about the shock collar but Ralph’s helmet could have just been to help him strategize cause he likes making tech stuff. Not that he purposely wanted to change him. Same reason for Mikey’s suit. Just a cool tech gift to help him out.

They probably won’t revisit the gifts but I wish the writers would have at least explained why he made them. Just a simple line for each would have been enough.
Dude he was just trying to help/fix his brothers bad traits/habits... pretty obvious
Old 09-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #17
Vicky82
Emperor

Finally saw it today, it was a good episode.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #18
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Oh believe me, I'd love for the gifts to have been something more, but this series has already proven so early that it just isn't that deep. (Like not even ankle deep... Maybe midway up the foot at best.)

I mean, with the title, I was really kind of expecting a Donnie centered piece that focused on Donnie's actual gifts, aka talents, and what he brings to the team. Something that, even if told in such a brief dumbed down way, at least held a little importance. >.> Er... nope.

Makes me feel like we should start wagering pretend bets on what an ep is really going to be vs what we feel like it should be based on a title.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

This ep was pretty fun and I liked Meat Sweats. Probably the most standard ep of Rise so far, could have been a 2012 episode just with their old personalities in place of the Rise ones.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

So from what I understand, this episode is meant to come before Newsworthy but after Origami Tsunami. I guess it does a better job of establishing mutants running around but it's still pretty weird.

Anyway the episode itself is alright. I find Meat Sweats to be an OK concept and his quirk of being Gordon Ramsey is alright. Donnie's titular gifts might be a turn off for some people, but since the point of this show is to be more comedic, it does make sense for him to be the kind of guy who would do something that crappy.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote