The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #21
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Well, Twilight is worse than the last TMNT but not much worse.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #22
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

UGO Leaked "Airbender" trailer.
Supposedly it's going to also air during the Superbowl.

I've got to say, the bending effects really do look amazing.
Still have my reservations about the casting, but that might not be enough to keep me from the theater.

Thoughts?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #23
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist

Meh. First they blew it by bringing on Shyamalan as a director. Then, the film the got whitewashed. Then, they couldn't even come up with a decent exploration of world culture. And now... this. I know I might be alone in my opinion, but this trailer looks awfully stupid to me. They could have done better. Well... actually, I'm not sure if they could have, considering all the brilliant decisions that have accompanied the production of this movie so far.
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #24
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post
Meh. First they blew it by bringing on Shyamalan as a director. Then, the film the got whitewashed. Then, they couldn't even come up with a decent exploration of world culture. And now... this. I know I might be alone in my opinion, but this trailer looks awfully stupid to me. They could have done better. Well... actually, I'm not sure if they could have, considering all the brilliant decisions that have accompanied the production of this movie so far.
I don't get the M. Night hate. His original stories might be hit or miss, but I've never had a problem with his directing.

As for the rest, if the internet is any indication, you're seriously not alone. Hell, I agree with a good chunk of your screed here. My prediction is that it's going to be the Constantine of 2010. Not comparable to the awesome of the source material, but not a bad movie either.

There's an Appa in the upper left corner around second ten, on the off chance anyone's interested.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #25
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

It looks way too serious and not lighthearted enough.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #26
Vivi
Mad Scientist

New trailer for 'The Last Airbender'

I'm a big fan of the series and am anticipating the movie...even though I don't think it will beat the original. It actually looks pretty good. Here's the link where you get to hear Katara and Sokka talk a little...but strangely enough, not Aang.

http://www.thelastairbendermovie.com/#home/video
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #27
Mandi-chan
Stone Warrior

I'm a huge fan of the show, and despite the negativity on the net regarding how the casting was done...I still think the movie looks fantastic and will be seeing it opening night!
Mandi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #28
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!

Wow!! Nice trailer! Its a very promising movie!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #29
Ninjinister
無問題

Although I'm very much not a fan of the series, I've got to say, just from the trailers, the film is looking very nice. Plus I'm a fan of Shyamalan's work and would like to see how he directs a martial arts film.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #30
plastroncafe

I'm a Racebending traitor, I admit it.
So while I won't be seeing it opening night, I will probably catch this movie in the theater.

Though...if my brother-in-law pays for my ticket, I could be convinced to go opening night.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #31
Vivi
Mad Scientist

Egads...I totally missed this thread and posted another with the new(ish)trailer...(thanks thread merging mod).
Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, no matter how much cynicism there is towards it. The bending does look great, and I am definitely seeing it at the cinema, I think it will lend itself well to the big screen.
No matter how it pans out, there is always the source material
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #32
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

It's might just be the trailer, but that looked incredibly stupid and generic and completely turned me off the movie. Just awful. I like the cartoon (though I wouldn't call myself a fan) but I'll be avoiding this.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #33
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

Love the show so I will def be seeing this.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #34
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha Cow View Post
It's might just be the trailer, but that looked incredibly stupid and generic and completely turned me off the movie. Just awful. I like the cartoon (though I wouldn't call myself a fan) but I'll be avoiding this.
Same here. I wanna see Aang actually smile in a trailer, cuz I'm still pretty positive this is gonna be super serious and joyless.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #35
plastroncafe

Wow, so Airbender is currently rocking a 0% rating at Rotten Tomatoes.
Movie's not even out yet and it's already taking a beating.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #36
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist

Thumbs down Pretend it never happened...

A steaming pile of crap. Don't bother seeing this trash. I was at least hoping that, like TMNT though it might be a "bad" movie, it would at least be enjoyable. This movie was painful to watch. I saw it opening night. The audience was booing and some people wouldn't even stay to watch. F*ck you M. Night.

Spoiler:
Everything but the architecture in this movie was horrid. The ****ing dialog, the exposition, the narration, the lack of character, the ****** acting, the pacing. It looked like they took exactly one take of every scene and decided to just go with that.
Good GOD, who edited that film? A 5-year-old? Nothing transitioned - this is something I could show in a class as an example of painfully poor editing. (it's where you cut all the different footage together, it involves a keen sense of timing and emotional/dramatic awareness - it's a very important job. Clearly it was given to the first bum they picked up off the street. What was the last thing they worked on? Power Rangers the Movie?) I have seen better editing from middle school film projects. It looks as though the cast (flabby, pink-faced chicken-leg-white people) and crew came from Texas and therefore didn't know how to act or put together a film worthy of a summer blockbuster title.

How much money went into this project? Yet with all that financial support and hours, literally hours, of source material (story, to fight scenes, dialogue), the special effects department and choreographers couldn't even get the bending looking not ridiculous - honestly, how hard is it to synchronize the movement of a clump of earth or blob of water with the movements of a person's limbs? It's not like animating lipsync or even a f*cking floursack. There is no excuse for this. You (animators and animation directors) had reference. Your failure is either the result of laziness or incompetence. I'll be kind and assume it was the former. The majority of the time the actors look as though they are just flailing their arms about. Did Shyamalan not catch this? Was he out of time? Did he just not care?

I know Mr. Shyamalan has been going through a low peak in his career - but this is by far the worst film he has ever made. This film looks like it was put together by amateurs who neither understood nor appreciated the source material, and didn't really care about their jobs.

Rant over. I hope to God this movie fails hard so we never have to see a sequel. This film was such an embarrassment. Maybe in a few decades or fewer us young film makers who witnessed this train wreck can pick up the pieces and do it right - hopefully Bryan and Mike will still be around to play an active role in the development of a decent (i.e. not sucking epically) live-action adaptation of the series.
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #37
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledermaus View Post

Spoiler:
street. What was the last thing they worked on? Power Rangers the Movie?)
How much money went into this project?
Whoa, thats a little harsh...to the MMPR.. The Power Rangers movie was atleast ENJOYABLE.

As far as money spent? 280 million. 130 of which went to marketing.

Ask yourself...how much legit marketing have you seen for this film? Now compare that to Twilight Eclipse...A film that spent far less than 130 million on marketing.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #38
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

I'm just dying to know how bad Ringer's performance is!
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #39
hadoolket
Thug

off-topic, i'm actually more curious about the sonichu avatars i'm seeing on a couple of people in this thread than i am about this movie, which seemed to blare shamalamadingdong's name a lot for no reason in advertising
hadoolket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #40
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Why isn't this movie referred to as Avatar: The Last Airbender? Did James Cameron pay off producers and M. Night to not use the word Avatar?

I don't get it... lol...

-ms