The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Walking

Walking. They say it's a good exercise and healthier than driving everywhere like some people seem to do.

I enjoy going for walks around my city when I have free time or on weekends. If I'm not in a rush to go somewhere that's less than a 30 minute walk away from where I'm at at the moment, I'll just walk.

This makes me sound like a tourist, I suppose, but there's something fun about just walking around a big city. And it's probably better for your well being than just sitting on your ass at home in front of your computer all day, anyway.

How often do you walk? Are you the type of person who takes your car literally everywhere? I know people who will take their car even to a supermarket that's a 15 minute walk away and they're just going to buy a couple of small items. I understand if you're in a rush or busy, but if not, it's best just to walk, imo. I think it's just faster to go there by foot since you don't have to spend a long time looking for a parking place which might be far from said place... and requires you to do a rather long walk from your car to the place you're going to

It's funny. I like walking a lot, but seriously dislike running.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It's a more suburban area so things are spread out more. The stores I do my grocery shopping at usually are like 2-3 miles away, so that would take a while... And I rarely buy just one or two things, so I'd probably buy some heavy stuff that would be an issue on the return trip.

At best, there's a couple gas stations I could walk to if I really wanted that wouldn't take long; one has a place to get food but the stuff off the shelf is kind of over priced, so there isn't that much incentive. They do hot meals too, but I've always stopped in for that when coming home from work or whatever.

There's a couple restaurants across from them on the two opposite corners, but I'm not crossing that highway on foot... Nooo no no no.

Other than that, if I really wanted to I could take the cut through path from my road down to my old 4th-5th grade school and hit the Burger King next door. Used to do that sometimes as kids. Not a whole lot else around there on that side of the highway I'd go to.

I got LOTS of walking in at my last job. That was plenty at that time.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-22-2018 at 05:56 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
It's a more suburban area so things are spread out more. The stores I do my grocery shopping at usually are like 2-3 miles away, so that would take a while... And I rarely buy just one or two things, so I'd probably buy some heavy stuff that would be an issue on the return trip.

At best, there's a couple gas stations I could walk to if I really wanted that wouldn't take long; one has a place to get food but the stuff off the shelf is kind of over priced. They do hot meals too, but I've always stopped in when coming home from work or whatever.

There's a couple restaurants across from them on the two opposite corners, but I'm not crossing that highway on foot... Nooo no no no.

Other than that, if I really wanted to I could take the cut through path from my road down to my old 4th-5th grade school and hit the Burger King next door. Used to do that sometimes as kids.

I got LOTS of walking in at my last job. That was plenty at that time.
Well 3-4 kilometres is more than a 15 minute walk. Could be up to an hour, especially in a big city where you gotta cross roads and such. And if someone is middle aged or older it could take even longer.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I prefer jogging and running for exercise, but walking is very relaxing and pleasurable in places like parks and even in the woods alone (despite what horror stories tell me).

Still prefer driving in the big city though despite the fact I used to walk around town alot.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

According to Google, I will occasionally walk about 1.5 miles from my college into downtown just to catch a bus that will take me home. I'm not certain as to how accurate this is, and there are other stops in the area that I can board a bus from.

It can be rather bothersome when there is a lot of road construction in the area and that tends to re-route the bus lines, and this makes for longer wait times. I get impatient on some days and say "To heck with the wait." So, I tend to cross through the construction areas (most of the time it is usually a dirt road or dried unpainted tar in the area as the workers are usually 'done for the day'), while there is usually traffic on the street, due to the drivers being re-routed from the road closures.

I will say that it isn't the smartest thing to walk from college into downtown, and maybe someday I will actually appreciate waiting a little longer instead of choosing to walk across a busy road and though a construction zone just to catch an outgoing bus.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:33 AM   #6
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Places close enough to where I live, stores, banks or whatever, I generally walk to, as long as it doesn't require carrying a trunk load back home. I walk a good distance to & from public transport facilities to get where I go, saves parking & additional fares, plus do a lot of walking/carrying in at least one of my occupations, so for me walking is pretty inclusive in my daily routine.
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:32 AM   #7
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Same here. I don't even own a car, so walking is pretty much a requirement if I want to get anywhere. We have a bus seevice, but it serves a large rural area, and the bus is mainly only for medical/special needs service anyway. My daily walk to work is about 35 minutes (roughly 2 miles); longer coming home if I have to buy groceries or whatever.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

The problem is that people want to stop for shopping all the time. That's why so many ride in their cars even at shorter distances. Once online shopping totally takes over, that problem will be gone.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Same here. I don't even own a car, so walking is pretty much a requirement if I want to get anywhere. We have a bus seevice, but it serves a large rural area, and the bus is mainly only for medical/special needs service anyway. My daily walk to work is about 35 minutes (roughly 2 miles); longer coming home if I have to buy groceries or whatever.
Do you have a license though? Also, it's rare not to own a car in Usa, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The problem is that people want to stop for shopping all the time. That's why so many ride in their cars even at shorter distances. Once online shopping totally takes over, that problem will be gone.
They do? I don't. I ignoremost stores. And even of I hop inside one the odds of buying something are very very low.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I got a dog, when I walk him it's a 2-4 hour walk in varied terrain. And then a short 45 minute to an hour walk at evenings. I don't have a driver's lisence so I usually walk or take the bus, I also have a bike that I'm going to get some usage of biking to and from work now that the weather is nice... as long as it doesn't break down again.

But, I don't really enjoy walking all that much, and I don't jog or run due to my hollow feet, it can get really pain inducing. After a long walk with the dog I'm pretty much done for the day when it comes to walking.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #11
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Do you have a license though? Also, it's rare not to own a car in Usa, right?

They do? I don't. I ignoremost stores. And even of I hop inside one the odds of buying something are very very low.

Yes, I have a licence, just no car. Honestly, with my living wages, i can't really afford the gas, upkeep, and insurance for one, even though we live in a semi-rural area where cars are almost a necessity due to distances. But I get by without it just fine. I carry an umbrella year-round(Texas weather is highly unpredictable, even in summer), make sure I have ample time to get where I'm going, and dress for the temps/weather. If I need groceries, I make sseveral smaller trips during the week instead of one big one, so I don't have to carry as much at once.

I have had a car in the past, but for the most part, I don't really miss it, unless I want to go out of town and need to find a ride. As for how rare it is not to have a car in the US, it depends where you live. Cities tend to have better public transport, so it's not as much an issue. I just happen to be in an area where most people DO have one, for commutes to work, or just to go places in general. Texas is BIG!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #12
Vegita-San
Emperor

I can't do much walking because where I am, it's hilly EVERYWHERE. and I have trouble going up hills. down in my vacation spot, it's all flat. I can walk 8 miles round trip on good days.an hour one way, an hour back. On not so good days, I can do 20 minutes on a flat surface and do that a few times a day.

I don't think it helps you loose much weight though because you arn't pushing yourself too hard walking. but it helps to keep things mobile.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #13
Overlord

Quote:
Some people are crazy for shopping.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Some people are crazy for shopping.
Can't they control themselves? I can understand if it's teenage girls or something... but grown ups?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
Overlord

Quote:
but grown ups?
Sadly, yes. Even heard of shopaholics?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Sadly, yes. Even heard of shopaholics?
Yeah, they're called young women

...Ok, some young women. Don't want the usual suspects to call me sexist or anything

But I doubt most people are like that. I'm pretty cheap, I'd say. I see a lot of stuff I like in shops but rarely do I pull the trigger and make a purchase, since I can't "justify" most items I see on sale. It's like 90% of my money goes to bills and groceries.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #17
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Too much work.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #18
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I've always enjoyed walking for leisure and if I'm able to walk somewhere as opposed to drive then I usually will
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:29 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Walking a long distance with all your two weeks worth of groceries is the ultimate workout.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Tell me about it. Granted, I only buy for two or three days at a time, but it gives me a great cardio and weight workout. Two miles with 10-15 lbs of groceries? Do that 2-3 times a week, and you will never be out of shape. (Even just walking the 4 mi a day to and from work us plwnty, tbh.)