The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 12-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #9321
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

CyberCubed is right, pretty much. I've been playing it too and a lot of it feels like a chore, or even homework. Shame, because the original Xenoblade is so good.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #9322
CyberCubed
Overlord

I enjoy the game, I'm about to start Chapter 7, but it is a serious time investment. You almost feel like you're "working" just to play the game. For example the game makes you play through 8 mandatory sidequests just to get your Skell mech, and there's no other way around it because the Skell itself is mandatory for the later story missions.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #9323
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Sounds like the kind of game my brother might like. He loves sidequests.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #9324
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

If I could, Xenoblade's been on my hit list the second I get a 3DS.

In the meantime, because I've gotten more into Pokemon, I've been trying to configure a decent game to create involving the franchise. My main question is this though: The main villain I planned on gaining control over the previous seven gym leaders, then we get a plot twist. The villain would give them each a Mega Evolution stone in addition to a Legendary Pokemon.

So, my main question is would the rematches with both a Mega and Legendary be overkill? Planning I am close to finished on, but I need to make sure if this works out or if it's too unfair. Otherwise, the game is centering on Arceus like I planned still and everything else should be normal.

Smash Flash 2 and Mike Tyson's Punch Out are also the most recent games I've played at this time.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #9325
Freeman
Hench Mutant

I just got Adventure Bar Story for 3DS on the eShop
Mixing a classic RPG with a cooking game for 4€ is more than interesting to play, even thought the visual aspect could be a lot better
Old 12-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #9326
Icebot
Foot Elite

Just played New Super Mario Bros DS.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #9327
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Double post, but its been 3 days and I've now put over 20 hours in the game. I'm up to Chapter 7 and want to get my Skell license.

There's a lot more grinding in this game than I would have liked. Before you can do each story chapter they basically force you to be a certain level before you can accept it, and they force you to explore a certain region to a percentage before you can continue. This can take hours if you're underleveled or didn't explore a region thoroughly by planting research probes and finding material. A lot of the basic quests to level up are filler with "go kill x amount of beasts" or fetch quests where they want you to collect a certain amount of nonsense in the wild.

I like the game, and its beautiful and has a good battle system, but man. Now I understand why people played this game for 80+ hours, the game is structured in such a way that you HAVE to devote time to it to even progress the main story.
And I thought Skies of Arcadia was time-consuming. I don't have a Wii U, but Xenoblade Chronicles X sounds too complicated for my tastes. I prefer RPGs with simpler mechanics. I'm playing Tales of the Abyss and Phantasy Star IV every now and then at the moment.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #9328
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I'm putting Xenoblade X away for now. I have way too many other things to play to put up with that game and be miserable.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #9329
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
And I thought Skies of Arcadia was time-consuming. I don't have a Wii U, but Xenoblade Chronicles X sounds too complicated for my tastes. I prefer RPGs with simpler mechanics. I'm playing Tales of the Abyss and Phantasy Star IV every now and then at the moment.
I'm just trying to finish the main story. You have to grind certain requirements before you can begin each story chapter. There's like 500 sidequests and minor quests in the game and I'm sure as hell not doing all of that especially since they're all generic.

I want to finish Xenoblade X by the end of the year, so I have about a week left to finish it up.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #9330
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I just finished Grim Fandango Remastered. I still have the original - I decided to try Remastered as it was fairly cheap , and would hopefully be much less of a pain in the ass to get running than the PC version was last time I played it. Of course it was. Overall, I enjoyed playing through one of my favorite games again.

I think they did a pretty good job taking the edge off the crusty graphics, and smoothing out the pre-rendered FMVs. They still look a little crunchy, but the transition between FMV and game play is not as jarring as it used to be.

I think they played up the amount of remastering they did however, as the option they give you to switch to "Original" mode for comparison, shows the game rendered in software. Sure it looks pretty bad, but when Grim Fandango originally came out, if you had a proper graphics card, you'd play it in OpenGL mode and it looked a hell of a lot better. Not as good as the remastered version, but it wasn't a million miles off either.

I noticed they left most of the bugs in too, as well as some horribly mastered audio. It's always been this way, but the sound of Glottis shrieking, and any character snoring makes me turn the volume down.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #9331
CyberCubed
Overlord

Finally on the last chapter of Xenoblade X, the continuous boss battles with no saving is ridiculous. If your Skell gets destroyed it also doesn't respawn, so you're basically screwed because you can't win on-foot.

What the hell. I'm basically grinding my way to the end if it kills me. I played this game for 52 hours now, I'm not sure if that was time well spent or not.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #9332
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Is the original Xenoblade like that? At this point in my life I have no desire to play any RPG anymore besides maybe new Mario RPG or Pokemon titles and even then I haven't finished a mainline Pokemon game since the GenI remakes. I think the only RPGs I'd ever play again would be ones that I loved as a kid like Dragon Warrior/FFVI etc. RPGs just got way too long and require too much time.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #9333
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Is the original Xenoblade like that? At this point in my life I have no desire to play any RPG anymore besides maybe new Mario RPG or Pokemon titles and even then I haven't finished a mainline Pokemon game since the GenI remakes. I think the only RPGs I'd ever play again would be ones that I loved as a kid like Dragon Warrior/FFVI etc. RPGs just got way too long and require too much time.
If you can't get immersed in an RPG, sorry if it's not for you with drawn out stories, some for better and worse. Extremely broad generalization, an RPG is nearly as long as you make it out to be; that is unless you're forced to accomplish tasks which appear meaningless. Depends on game though.

Currently attempting Super Mario Bros. 3 with some rotten luck on World 3. I will admit I sucked at the game back then as a kid going to my grandparents' home. Also awaiting on a charger the "New" 3DS so I can play Omega Ruby and also will be picking up one of the Splatoon amiibos in addition to the Link amiibo.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #9334
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
If you can't get immersed in an RPG, sorry if it's not for you with drawn out stories, some for better and worse. Extremely broad generalization, an RPG is nearly as long as you make it out to be; that is unless you're forced to accomplish tasks which appear meaningless. Depends on game though.

Currently attempting Super Mario Bros. 3 with some rotten luck on World 3. I will admit I sucked at the game back then as a kid going to my grandparents' home. Also awaiting on a charger the "New" 3DS so I can play Omega Ruby and also will be picking up one of the Splatoon amiibos in addition to the Link amiibo.
Yeah, SMB3 had a couple of tricky levels on World 3... wait 'till Worlds 7 and 8, mang.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #9335
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Yeah, SMB3 had a couple of tricky levels on World 3... wait 'till Worlds 7 and 8, mang.
I've tried out world 8 through warp whistle, actually it isn't too bad. I haven't beaten it, but the numbered levels and the airship I despise, especially that stupid ship! World 7 I'll find a way into eventually, that's the world I'm actually most interested, more than the giant world in all honesty.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #9336
CyberCubed
Overlord

The All-Stars or GBA versions of Mario 3 are a lot easier than the NES one as it saves at the beginning of every world.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #9337
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
The All-Stars or GBA versions of Mario 3 are a lot easier than the NES one as it saves at the beginning of every world.
I still prefer the NES version Cubed, even with the improved graphics and audio on those systems, I feel the challenge is lost from that saving feature. Might be my nostalgia talking, but I prefer the NES counterpart to an extent and would rather like to beat it legit on that console rather than upgrade for an easier experience.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #9338
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Word. That save feature is absolutely necessary.

Gold, you're a sadist. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #9339
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

Gold, you're a sadist. Good luck!
Nah, I'm just a lunatic.

The second you wish me luck dude when I start playing Grass Land, I get a coin ship to replace the Hammer Bro. of the stage. I don't know if it was your blessing or me getting lucky or me being awesome, still did something right!
Old 12-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #9340
Peanut
Second Gear

SMB3 is incredibly easy, guys. Come the hell on.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awesome, cybercubed the diaper, cybercubed the homophobe, peanut, video games