The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have kids?
Yes I have kids and am a parent 11 35.48%
No, I do not have kids but I'd like to have some and be a parent in the future 9 29.03%
No, I do not have kids and never want kids. No plans to ever be a parent 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #81
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's fair. Or "Cybercubed's Law: A law that sooner or later in a discussion with Cybercubed, the discussion will inevitably shift into discussion of the passage of time, or getting older."
It's inevitable... Cybercubed will/would be one of those parents who often badgers their adult children with "When are you getting married/having kids?? You aren't getting any younger!"

IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:06 PM   #82
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
To be honest almost all parents bring their interests to their children. My father grew up with Star Trek and Batman in the 60's, and as a result he liked it into his adulthood and passed it down to me.

Then I grew up with 80's/90's franchises like TMNT, etc...and will pass them down to my future children.
My kids already watch Star Trek with me. My son has already complimented his aunt, telling her that she looks like a particular female character.

It's nice to know my kids have taste.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #83
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeaaah, that's nice and all, but I'd rather not alienate my kids from the time period they're growing up in. This is THEIR time. Not yours. Let them have it. It's okay to share your stuff, but don't force them to enjoy your stuff when they might want to follow along with the stuff that their friends are.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #84
Prowler
Emperor

My parents didn't really pass many of the things they loved onto me. But tbh they're not into video games, cartoons, anime and fandoms in general. That was before their time. So there is a rather big disconnect between me and my older relatives when it comes to those things plus music.

I think it's normal tbh. If I ever had kids I bet they'd also like things I don't care for or even find stupid.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #85
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

As of now, I really don't know if I would want to have kids or not.

I've been basically undecided on the matter.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:21 AM   #86
newfan
Mad Scientist

My mom passed Star Trek onto me but did it didn't wear off of my sisters. With more kids TV around now mine have had their own things.
My son found TMNT by himself and get me into it, he recently discovered Supermario and straight away liked it, that isn't me either, I never really played video games.

Edit: Then there's music too.

Last edited by newfan; 01-05-2018 at 04:10 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord

Interesting fact: The kids born in the year 2000 will be turning 18 this year. That means all the young kids and 2000 babies will now be legal adults.

Kind of scary. I think of 2000's kids as still little babies or kids, hard to believe they're all grown up already.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #88
Peanut
Second Gear

I have baaby. I am 31 or 32?
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:53 AM   #89
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I have baaby. I am 31 or 32?
... Are you alright, Peanut?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:23 AM   #90
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Accidentally voted on the wrong option. I'd love to have my own children someday and share my happiness with them.

It may be tiring and back breaking, but I am willing to invest the blood, sweat and tears to raise a family and be a good family man.

Just thinking about the prospect inspires me with awe and wonder, and I pray to God that one day I may be blessed with the opportunity.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 01-06-2018 at 03:36 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:32 AM   #91
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Seeing a video at about 12 of a woman actually giving birth scared me into never wanting to have kids the natural way. Pushing something that big out of such a narrow opening just looked like torture and pain. At that moment, I vowed that if I EVER had kids, I would adopt because many kids need homes.

When I was in my 20s, I wasn't fully against it, but not fully for it either, but did say that if I don't have a child naturally by at least 30, I don't want to bother. In my mid 20s, I actually had that strong maternal, biological clock ticking thing. It was so strong, I wanted to screw the first dude I saw, but it did die when I was about 26 or so and my indifference about kids started again.

Given my age now, I really don't want kids. It's not like I can financially provide for one, which has always been a big factor. I always posed the question even as far back as my teens, "If I were to get pregnant today, would I be able to financially provide for it?" The answer has always been no and unfortunately, despite my age, it's still this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Having gone through it, I can honestly say that yes, it is. I had morning, noon, AND night sickness for the entire term. Lost ten lbs in about three days, a week after I first found out. And it took me the entire 8 months remaining to gain it back. By the time I went into labor, I was only 3 lbs over my NORMAL weight. And half of that ten lbs was her. So I regained only about 7 &1/2 lbs. And my NORMAL weight is only around 95-96 lbs to begin with.

Ob-Gyn told me I would have no problem with a natural birth, and tried to convince me (at 30 yrs old mind you) not to have my tubes tied as I wanted to because she apparently thought that even though I stated flat out from the beginning that it had been unplanned and that I intended to give it up for adoption, that I might somehow at that age change my mind and regret the tubal ligation later on. She was an idiot. Not only was I still fighting to get her to do the ligation literally while in labor, but my baby got her head stuck in my pelvis and had to be delivered C-section- just as I had told the Dr. all along that I would need to. Top it all off, her estimation of my conception date was off by about two weeks, as I knew for a FACT when I had conceived! Her due date was also off by about a week. Baby came out "overcooked" and my original estimate proved correct. I had to split the difference and self-induce via an herbal tea. So she ended up an Equinix baby.
You know, I think doctors are hesitant because maybe women have regretted the decision. Like maybe many there have been a lot of cases where women have come to regret the decision and just don't want to chance it.

Quote:
I'm also baffled why poor people have so many kids. Like those mothers on welfare with 4-5 children. Like...maybe if you didn't have so many kids to feed and clothe, you probably wouldn't be in this situation. Is it really that hard to make sure your partner is wearing a condom or use birth control pills?

It's baffling really. I understand some of this happens when people are teenagers, and you see teenage parents at only 17-18, but that's just as bad.
Birth control pills need a prescription, and unless it's changed, it's not covered by insurance like Viagara is.

Quote:
If ever have future kids or especially a son, I will raise them from the ground up to like TMNT and Nintendo.

My future child will grow up as if it's the 80's-90's, and will like everything I like from my childhood. At the age of 4 or so, I'd start them off on the original TMNT cartoon and the NES with Super Mario Bros, and we'd work from there throughout all the big Nintendo games from the NES and SNES era and other 80's and 90's cartoons.
I have DVDs of some things I grew up with for that very reason. lol I may not have kids or nieces or nephews since I'm an only child, but my cousins have kids. Sucks I couldn't hang with them more. They're like 6 and 7 now.

Quote:
To be honest almost all parents bring their interests to their children. My father grew up with Star Trek and Batman in the 60's, and as a result he liked it into his adulthood and passed it down to me.

Then I grew up with 80's/90's franchises like TMNT, etc...and will pass them down to my future children.
This is true. I like older music because of this.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:39 AM   #92
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Accidentally voted on the wrong option. I'd love to have my own children someday and share my happiness with them.

It may be tiring and back breaking, but I am willing to invest the blood, sweat and tears to raise a family and be a good family man.

Just thinking about the prospect inspires me with awe and wonder, and I pray to God that one day I may be blessed with the opportunity.
I hope this happens for you FredWolf. As you said, there are challenging times (I think that comes more in the teen years) but the positives too for those who want this.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:12 AM   #93
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Giving birth is not something I'm scared of, personally...provided I'm in the hands of caretakers who will give me some ability to do my own thing. Painful yes, but not really terrifying. I'm more on edge of what an OB might do than what a baby will do.

I'd much rather give birth than have swimmer's ear again, to be honest...
Old 01-06-2018, 04:29 AM   #94
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I hope this happens for you FredWolf. As you said, there are challenging times (I think that comes more in the teen years) but the positives too for those who want this.
Thanks newfan

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #95
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

As Cubed has mentioned, I am a Parent. However, back when I first discovered this site(2006 or 2007) and lurked for quite some time, and throughout most of my 20's I would have flat out said that it was never going to happen. I had 2 pretty big breakups in my early 20's and had no desire for marriage/kids or even dating. That changed of course after meeting my wife and getting to know each other. She wasn't interested in a romantic relationship and I had little to no desire to get married. So, we became best friends and it took off from there.

I've got a 21 month old son with another son due to be born around May 1st. We are planning on having 4(+ or -1). Really wanting a daughter, but we'll see if it happens or not.

As other people have mentioned, I am also planning on sharing my interests with my children(yes, including the TMNT). My son isn't much of a tv watcher yet, but he LOVES opening themes. Be it the original TMNT, Star Trek, movie openings(including old movies), anything. I am also aware that they will have their own interests in media and I'm more than alright with that. However, we don't have network tv, much less cable. Do have Netflix and literally 1000's of DVD's though.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #96
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Seeing a video at about 12 of a woman actually giving birth scared me into never wanting to have kids the natural way. Pushing something that big out of such a narrow opening just looked like torture and pain. At that moment, I vowed that if I EVER had kids, I would adopt because many kids need homes.

Given my age now, I really don't want kids. It's not like I can financially provide for one, which has always been a big factor. I always posed the question even as far back as my teens, "If I were to get pregnant today, would I be able to financially provide for it?" The answer has always been no and unfortunately, despite my age, it's still this way.
You know, I think doctors are hesitant because maybe women have regretted the decision. Like maybe many there have been a lot of cases where women have come to regret the decision and just don't want to chance it.

Birth control pills need a prescription, and unless it's changed, it's not covered by insurance like Viagara is.

I have DVDs of some things I grew up with for that very reason. lol I may not have kids or nieces or nephews since I'm an only child, but my cousins have kids. Sucks I couldn't hang with them more. They're like 6 and 7 now.

This is true. I like older music because of this.

Yeah, I realize doctors are often worried about women regretting having tubes tied, but the thing is that I was already 30 at the time (already fairly old to be starting to have kids), and had told her from the beginning that I had neither planned to nor even wanted to have ANY kids at all. I told her flat out that I wanted it done as part of the birth procedures, due to not wanting a repeat of a situation I already knew I was neither financially nor personally able to deal with. She kept insisting that I should wait six months after birth- after my Medicaid coverage would have ended. The crux of it was that she didn't want to do it unless she could charge me for it. I even had to go over her head to threaten to get the administrator, because she CLAIMED the paperwork for permission to do it was "missing". Funny but as soon as I brought up talking to admin, she came back in mere minutes to say it was "found". Uh-huh....

Some doctors really ARE just in it for the money. She ignored all of my requests throughout the term, and then tried to bill me for a follow up visit that I NEVER MADE, after the Medicaid ran out. I called her office after I got the bill and chewed them out, saying that I had not made any appointment for said visit, nor had I been to see her, and that I was not paying for it. Never heard from them again.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #97
CyberCubed
Overlord

My mother gave birth to my youngest siblings when she was 44 I believe. Is 30 really considered old to have kids these days? I know women in their late 30's and early 40's who still have kids.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #98
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
My mother gave birth to my youngest siblings when she was 44 I believe. Is 30 really considered old to have kids these days? I know women in their late 30's and early 40's who still have kids.
Yeah, I think its normal these days. Back then, people were expected to have kids early, like 20 or something, because lifespans were shorter and reproduction was considered compulsary rather than a choice (be fruitful and multiply).

Old 01-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #99
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Not these days, 30's anyway, I remember being told I was a spring chicken by hospital staff when having my 2nd one, they worry about you more when you are closer to 40 and above.... unless of course you have health problems and or a troublesome pregnancy, then they worry then too of course.

Last edited by newfan; 01-06-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #100
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's also something I meant, a lot of people purposely wait till they're older to have kids these days. My parents were only 25 when I was born, but nowadays people don't like having kids in their early/mid 20's because they're too busy in College or their first jobs or whatever.

Tags
a day inside may, andrew likes tags, cubed monkeys around, plastron comes back, plastron goes quiet