The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #41
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I know Nicktoons ran the show a few years back alongside Turtles Forever. I don't remember if it included The Ninja Tribunal, Fast Forward, or Back to the Sewer though.

Otherwise, I don't fully see the series getting a full resurgence compared to Nick, the movies (not Bay Turtles though), and FW. During this time, I was growing up with Turtles, but was more interested in other properties. Those included Power Rangers and Spider-Man to name a few. It's possible but unlikely.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #42
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I do NOT understand why people say that. The TMNT equivalent of the Adam West Batman series is the Next Mutation series. When it comes to Batman, the closest thing to the original TMNT cartoon is this:
I think you're confusing the content of the series (camp) with the impact it had on people's knowledge about the franchise. '60s Batman was a huge phenomenon as was TMNT '87. Next Mutation was nowhere near a huge phenomenon, and despite being available on Netflix for the past few years, I'm sure many people outside this forum have no idea what it is.

I think a resurgence of 2k3 would be great. It would be nice to even easily access the episodes. But I think if a resurgence were to happen, it would be right around now. But other TMNT projects are stealing all of the attention.
Also, the show, even at the time it aired, was under the radar, despite airing for many years. It's probably a little nugget of gold that's going to remain "hidden", unfortunately.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Also, the show, even at the time it aired, was under the radar, despite airing for many years. It's probably a little nugget of gold that's going to remain "hidden", unfortunately.
Which is odd, the ratings for the 2k3 series were generally higher than the Nick cartoons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #44
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Just a quick thought on my part. I guessed that maybe the 2D animation, more unique, more established identity/tone and less reliance on other versions' concepts than the Nick show would lead it to being remembered more fondly many years later.

Also, I don't think unique concepts in the Nick show are anywhere as recognized as recognized as those in 4Kids. For e.g. do you see Tiger Claw, Fishface and Shinigami combined being more fondly remembered than Bishop among tmnt fans?
Ok, I feel you there.

Yeah, creatively there's a lot more good stuff to adapt, especially if you're taking it seriously. I like the Nick show a lot better than 4kids, but I really hope we never see sh*t like Tigerclaw, Newtralizer or whatever again.

I just feel like the Nick show was way more popular due to its greater exposure, and in turn will have more casuals that remember it fondly in the future.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 09-20-2017 at 04:43 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #45
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

With all TMNT being under Nickelodeon's control, there's probably no want among the producers for limiting to influences from one version.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #46
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I just feel like the Nick show was way more popular due to its greater exposure, and in turn will have more casuals that remember it fondly in the future.
Among Casuals, most definetly. Almost every store I know nowdays has some sort of Nick tmnt merchandise.

Among the dedicated tmnt fans however, I feel the 4Kids show will always reasonate more, no question.

Maybe its because I'm biased towards it alot more and it was the version that got me into tmnt, but I think the 4Kids series accomplished far more than the Nick show in terms of saving the brand from obscurity, which many people credit the latter for.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord

I like 4kids more for it's stronger storylines and plots, but the Nick show is more "fun" if that makes any sense. It's kind of the same feeling I have about the Fred Wolf show. It's plots are obviously simple and repetitive, but it's just "fun" to just sit there and watch it.

Still I'd recommend the 4kids series to most casual fans who have no experience with any TMNT cartoon before the other two, besides maybe the first 5 episodes of the original cartoon.

I hope Tiger Claw appears in IDW next year. He deserves to return.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #48
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

As much I love the Nick show, I don't think it fully captures either the fun of FW or the deep storytelling of 4Kids but it was meant to be a middle ground so I can't blame it.

And while I will always prefer the first two animated shows, I think given what they had to live up to in terms of fan expectations, Nick did a great and wonderful job with their first tmnt show. I hope I can say the same for Rise of the Tmnt.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Nick show always has some aspects of dialogue, humor, or action sequences or animation style that impresses me in each episode. You can tell the writers, Ciro, Brandon, etc. all wrote the show for themselves or the fans. While it was too horror-esque heavy at times, I don't think it mattered too much.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #50
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Among Casuals, most definetly. Almost every store I know nowdays has some sort of Nick tmnt merchandise.

Among the dedicated tmnt fans however, I feel the 4Kids show will always reasonate more, no question.

Maybe its because I'm biased towards it alot more and it was the version that got me into tmnt, but I think the 4Kids series accomplished far more than the Nick show in terms of saving the brand from obscurity, which many people credit the latter for.
I dunno, Nick has way more style. The humor landed a LOT more and the fights felt more brutal.

Plus they really nailed the dramatic aspects. Off the top of my head, Tale of the Yokai, Slash and Destroy, Lone Rat and Cubs all make me tear up. Requiem and Owari make me lose my sh*t every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I hope Tiger Claw appears in IDW next year. He deserves to return.
Tiger Claw is garbage. Ciro and Brandon musta plagiarized him from an RP thread here.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:51 AM   #51
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I dunno, Nick has way more style. The humor landed a LOT more and the fights felt more brutal.
To be fair, much of the comedy seems to be childish grossout humor. It's for children so it's fine but I'm not really a fan of it.

Quote:
Plus they really nailed the dramatic aspects. Off the top of my head, Tale of the Yokai, Slash and Destroy, Lone Rat and Cubs all make me tear up. Requiem and Owari make me lose my sh*t every time.
The drama is cheap, I'm sorry but it's so damn cheap in that show. Splinter "dies" at least three times and spends a total of 20 episodes being "dead" before his final death. Even when he does die for real, he just comes back as a ghost and was even capable of taking coporeal form for a brief scene, it's almost as if it didn't matter. If the show had gotten a sixth season I wouldn't have been shocked if he came back yet again, I wouldn't even be surprised if he came back for the finale as some kind of sequel bait.

Then there's the other stuff like how Slash's psychosis was handwaved away as a temporary side effect of the mutation, I really don't see any reason to take drama seriously in the Nick show because it's always undermined.

Quote:
Tiger Claw is garbage. Ciro and Brandon musta plagiarized him from an RP thread here.
Yeah, **** Tiger Claw.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tiger Claw was the best OC character I've ever seen. Yes he got weaker to the point where Casey was able to beat him easily, but that happens to any villain in a long running show. It's called, "character decay" where villains are strong in their first few appearances and then the good guys take then down easier with each passing appearance.

In any case, the Nick show didn't introduce too many new unique characters that weren't random monster mutants, most of the characters they had were old characters with new designs or reimagined. Even stuff like the Squirrelnoids weren't much more than new versions of the Pizza Monsters from the Season 2 ep or the videogames.

Even stuff like evil Utroms (the Kraang) were done before in Mirage or Ch'rell in 4kids. Kavaxas might as well be considered more of a new version of Draco from 2k3 than Hothead.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:23 AM   #53
newfan
Mad Scientist

Sometimes it seems like the character's fighting ability depend on what the writers want for that episode? Tiger Claw went weaker but then in episodes like Owari they had a hard time fighting him again.
Same with the abilities or the Turtles, Shini and Karai, sometimes all of them together just can't take the enemy and others, they do solo.
Other shows do this too.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 AM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah it happens in any action cartoon with recurring villains. In their first appearance or two they're nearly unbeatable and the good guys can barely bring them down, then when they keep appearing after that they get taking down easier and easier, then become practically jokes.

Hell it almost happened in the 2k3 series with Hun and the Elite Guards. They still had trouble fighting them in later seasons, but in their first few appearances they were almost unstoppable.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:01 AM   #55
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah it happens in any action cartoon with recurring villains. In their first appearance or two they're nearly unbeatable and the good guys can barely bring them down, then when they keep appearing after that they get taking down easier and easier, then become practically jokes.

Hell it almost happened in the 2k3 series with Hun and the Elite Guards. They still had trouble fighting them in later seasons, but in their first few appearances they were almost unstoppable.
And I se nothing wrong with that. I'd rather see it as the Turtles honing their fighting skills as the series went on. It's not really farfetch'd.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:02 AM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And I se nothing wrong with that. I'd rather see it as the Turtles honing their fighting skills as the series went on. It's not really farfetch'd.
It's in Batman too. First time Bane appears he can barely stop him. Every other time Bane shows up Batman dispatches him quite quickly.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:13 AM   #57
Overlord

The turtles are meant to to grow, in strength and character, throughout the series. That's why there's a point with them taking down the villains easier during later seasons.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #58
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The turtles are meant to to grow, in strength and character, throughout the series. That's why there's a point with them taking down the villains easier during later seasons.
Well, they might grow in terms of combat skills, but they don't seem to grow much in character at all. In fact, the 2k3 Turtles seem to have regressed throughout the show. It's odd how Mike and Raph, despite starting off rather flawed were more endearing in the first couple of seasons than in the later ones. Mike got quite annoying after the Battle nexus tournament. Don't remember when Raph became a parody of himself, but I'm gonna say around Fast Forward. Although by then the show was more lighthearted so I guess that's expected?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #59
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
In fact, the 2k3 Turtles seem to have regressed throughout the show. It's odd how Mike and Raph, despite starting off rather flawed were more endearing in the first couple of seasons than in the later ones.
As much as I love 2k3, I noticed this even as a kid. "Secret Origins" through "Battle Nexus" probably marked my peak engagement with the series, and that character development aspect was a major reason why. It felt like the stories themselves were settling into a slightly more formulaic format. You can only bring Shredder and Stockman back so many times before it gets boring. I especially disliked the Ultimate Ninja. Other than Bishop and the EPF, I don't remember it feeling like a "much watch" show after that.

Of course, I had quite the opposite experience reading Mirage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #60
Overlord

Quote:
Don't remember when Raph became a parody of himself, but I'm gonna say around Fast Forward. Although by then the show was more lighthearted so I guess that's expected?
By season 4, Leonardo was the new Raphael.