The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #21
Wesley
Mad Scientist

It might happen some time in the future when people start having nostalgia about the 00s.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

The 2k3 series began in 2003, it's nearly 15 years old. How old does something have to be to be nostalgic over it?

Fun fact: At the time the 4kids series started in 2003, the original cartoon only ended 7 years prior in 1996. For some odd reason it feels like the gap was longer but it wasn't. I guess time moves slowly as a kid.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #23
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

I would like it to but I'm not sure it will. The 2k3 series really had pretty poor exposure, at least in comparison with the other incarnations. I also think that some people, myself included, originally didn't even give it a chance because it was so different from what we knew. Now, granted, I have since seen it and definitely enjoy it but I don't remember it having the status that the FW series had and they aren't exactly pushing it a lot these days. I'd be happy if they just released it in full on DVD. It seems like they don't even want to acknowledge it most of the time.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #24
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I can see it having more of a nostalgic following than the Nick show in the distant future though.
I can't imagine how you could possibly arrive to this conclusion.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #25
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I can't imagine how you could possibly arrive to this conclusion.
Just a quick thought on my part. I guessed that maybe the 2D animation, more unique, more established identity/tone and less reliance on other versions' concepts than the Nick show would lead it to being remembered more fondly many years later.

Also, I don't think unique concepts in the Nick show are anywhere as recognized as recognized as those in 4Kids. For e.g. do you see Tiger Claw, Fishface and Shinigami combined being more fondly remembered than Bishop among tmnt fans?

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-19-2017 at 03:56 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well we can't tell that yet because the Nick show is currently ending. I can definitely see Tiger Claw used by a future series at least.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #27
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

He's the only Original character I can see being used in other versions, but even he recieves competition from Old Hob in IDW and the more obscure Kathmandu, both of whom might possibly be used instead.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

I actually hope Shinigami appears somewhere else so she and Karai can become a lesbian couple in a future series.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Also, I don't think unique concepts in the Nick show are anywhere as recognized as recognized as those in 4Kids. For e.g. do you see Tiger Claw, Fishface and Shinigami combined being more fondly remembered than Bishop among tmnt fans?
I don't know, I'm not 6 years old. If I was, maybe they would be... who knows.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #30
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Only time will tell, give it a few years when many of the Nick shows fans will have grown and joined tmnt forums/nostalgia followings.

But even then, I highly doubt that among hardcore fans like us, all of Nicks Original characters combined will be as remembered as the very few that appeared in the 2003 show.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-19-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well all the kids from the Nick era will be adults in another 5-10 years.

Remember a kid who was 10 when the Nick cartoon first started is now 15. Give him another 2-3 years and he'll be an adult with nostalgia for a show he watched as a kid.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Any long running franchise always has it's first incarnation, or whichever was the most popular, overshadow everything that came after.

It's the same thing in the Pokemon fandom, with a bunch of delusionals who still think Misty/Brock or the original 151 pokemon are the only things that matter...even though the Pokemon franchise is now 20 years old and we're on gen 7. Just look at all the casuals getting excited over Misty/Brock getting a cameo in the current anime.

It's the same thing TMNT fans do when we have those 80's crossovers in the Nick cartoon or back in Turtles Forever. Or how hyped everyone is to see a new incarnation of Bebop and Rocksteady.
Difference being Pokémon is still as strong as ever. Even if the first two gens are the two most successful ones after all these years, it's not like people aren't aware of the other gens/games. Many people don't know anything about the TMNT asides from FW and the movies that came out in the 90s. Many aren't even aware of the 2k3 series or even the Nick toon.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well that's simply because Pokemon is a much larger franchise than TMNT.

With TMNT I'm sure they're aware the other shows and comics exists, they just don't bother to watch/read them.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well that's simply because Pokemon is a much larger franchise than TMNT.

With TMNT I'm sure they're aware the other shows and comics exists, they just don't bother to watch/read them.
Actually... I've met more people who don't know that than those who do. TMNT is viewed by people around my age and above as a late 80s/early 90s phenomenon. I guess that's just testimony to how big the franchise was at its peak. I've honestly never met a human being that hasn't heard of the TMNT at all.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Some people just need to be educated. If it were up to me I would educate everyone on TMNT history, as well as other franchises. Some people just need to be skewed into the right direction.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #36
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

As much as I'd love to see some kind of "nostalgic resurgence" for this show, it really isn't likely to happen.

It just isn't that well known and it never really had that much of a following.

Plus, it's not like Nick will ever go out of their way to advertise its existence, it actually seems like the opposite. I don't even think you can watch it normally on their website or rerun channels, just on online cartoon sites and whatever DVD's you can find.

And as others have mentioned, FW will always be the most (if not only) publicly recognized version of TMNT. It pains me to say, but that's just the way it'll be.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:12 AM   #37
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I do NOT understand why people say that. The TMNT equivalent of the Adam West Batman series is the Next Mutation series.
No.
It was so short, that it barely left a mark in the history of the franchise. I bet many people not even aware what it was. And comparing it to Adam West Batman, which is still remembered, even despite all this time and many good incarnations of the series...is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Fred Wolf? Pervasive as hell.
And Mirage will never be as popular anyway.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:19 AM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

I find it odd so many of you forget the 2k3 series also had reruns on Cartoon Network around 2005-2006. I think they only aired the first 3 seasons (because Season 4 was "new" at the time), but it was something.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:37 AM   #39
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I remember seeing the first 3 seasons being re-run as late as 2008
Old 09-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I remember seeing the first 3 seasons being re-run as late as 2008
Yeah it even aired weekday afternoons at 5pm here so it was 5 episodes a week in proper order. It used to air on CN's "Miguzi" block which came on right before Toonami back then.