The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #61
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,414
Just watched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised.

I liked the fast pace, I liked the Turtles' personalities and thought some of the switch ups worked (like them looking to Raph because he's the oldest but you can already see Leo's potential as leader). It was nice to see that there will be at least some form of continuity and long form story telling to the show as well.

The art style isn't really to my liking but the animation itself was very nice and better than I expected.


The villain was just kinda there (boss fight, like Raph said, seems like a very apt description) but its the pilot so its right that the focus was more on the TMNT. Hopefully he'll get a bit more depth as the series continues, they certainly set up some potential for that, but with the fast pace and 11 minute episodes I'm guessing the focus will be more action and humour than giving any serious development to characters outside of the Turtles. And that's ok. It's a kids show at the end of the day and if that's what works best for a modern audience then that's what they need to do.


April was something completely new. Her only similarity being that she's the Turtles human friend. But then 2012's April was pretty much a new take as well. Nick's basically creating April to fit whatever the story is. Not sure how I feel about her being more competent than the guys in a fight but I did like her leap into action spirit. Verdict is still out I guess, lets see how she develops.


Splinter though. Oh God what have they done to Splinter? I hope there's more to him than the joke they turned him into for the first episode because that was horrible. The design was already the worst re-design and now it looks like he'll be the worst character as well. It's a shame because both 2K3 and 2K12 had great Splinters.

Overall though, I enjoyed it enough to try the next few episodes. I don't see it becoming my favourite incarnation but with shorter 11 minute episodes it should be a fun time killer.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,460
I noticed Raph isn't so much "the leader" in that the Turtles all look up to him because he's the oldest brother in this incarnation. Leonardo still pretty much acts like the leader in most eps, or gives advice to Raph and the others, he's just more laid back. But still he's pretty much Leo. So this pretty much works.

Mikey seems to be more laid back too, for the obvious reason that the other Turtles now crack jokes and not just him, he seems a bit bland so far but I like how they're playing up his artist aspect.

Overall though I'm pleased with the Turtles themselves. April is meh and of course I don't like Splinter so far, but Splinter may just be lazy until Shredder shows up...
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #63
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,935
Given how many times the word "leader" has shown up in these conversations, I'm beginning to feel like the word has lost all meaning.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #64
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 11,192
Heh, Splinter called Donatello "Purple."
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #65
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I noticed Raph isn't so much "the leader" in that the Turtles all look up to him because he's the oldest brother in this incarnation. Leonardo still pretty much acts like the leader in most eps, or gives advice to Raph and the others, he's just more laid back. But still he's pretty much Leo. So this pretty much works.
I had a hunch Leo was still pretty much going to be the leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Heh, Splinter called Donatello "Purple."
What was the Purple one's name again? Was it Georgia O'Keeffe?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #66
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 10,207
Saw the second airing this morning, even though unlike 2012 it had left me with zero feeling of needing to check it out again. (With 2012 it often felt like there were things I missed or didn't quite catch and would sometimes catch the repeat on another Nick channel to check it out again. Which I liked about it. This one? So little substance that you don't really feel like you missed anything important... )

I didn't really notice it last night, but after viewing it again this morning on not enough sleep... omg can we just not with the artificial animation "shaky cam" in action scenes... Bad enough PD started off doing that. (The amount of bright coloration and crazy shakiness, I feel for migraine sufferers.)



The only things I'm curious about is how the magic weapons came to even be there, or who even tied the mutagen(?) bottle to the cat, er, monkey-squirrel, er dog thingy... but I doubt there will be answers. Disappointed that the magic weapons and the mystic city reveal were treated so unimportant.

Way has April's bat appeared to become a field hockey stick.

Torn whether the magic "M" doorway could be a slight nod to the summoned Battle Nexus doorway from 2003 or...not. I really think Leo's portal sword powers should at least have been used for this. Like someone actually bestowing these weapons to them and the sword's power could be used for return trips and fast getaways. Rather than just a video game-like special fight move. Give the boy some purpose to be there rather than just feeling redundant.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-21-2018 at 10:59 AM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #67
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer
 
Drose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,594
episode 1 thoughts: wow its great I definitely like it
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:55 AM   #68
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
The only things I'm curious about is how the magic weapons came to even be there, or who even tied the mutagen(?) bottle to the cat, er, monkey-squirrel, er dog thingy... but I doubt there will be answers. Disappointed that the magic weapons and the mystic city reveal were treated so unimportant.
I didn't think it was treated as unimportant, the mystic city is obviously something they'll revisit a number of times given it's all over the promos and Baron Draxum is from there. And we'll likely learn more about the mystic weapons as the series progresses. I mean you can't fit that much into one episode.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #69
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 10,207
Yes, of course those things will be revisited (questionable if any greater importance will be added), but for something that is the basis of and the general theme of the series the reveal of the mystic weapons and city couldn't have been more anticlimactic if they tried.

edit: Fell about as flat as Krang showing up in the last film. Some supposedly "big" aspect of it and then... Okay, so that happened, next scene.





Why did those big guys after the cat-squirl-monkey-dog-pokemon thing have little dogs with them?

And as I write that I'm theorizing that the dogs were actually in control of the people and the cat-dog thingy they were after was an escapee from some mystic dog experiment. As I'm not too familiar with Pokemon, I do however sort of want to give this creature a "experiment" number from the Lilo and Stitch series...

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-21-2018 at 11:17 AM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #70
Dejablue
Hench Mutant
 
Dejablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 318
Indigo thinks Leo is redundant. Lol I think Mikey holds that prize. To be honest, mikey should become the straight man. At least then he has a different way to interact with the others. The one to go "How about we not go through with the obviously stupid plan."

Oy vey but even then, Donnie seems to hold that role to an extent (questioning the stupid plan in Origami Tsunami). So I really don't know...

Leos swords should be used for transportation. Thats a cool idea.
__________________

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:39 AM   #71
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior
 
Ashwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 527
Leave indigo alone

I get indigo thoughts on how rise makes Leo feel redundant. Yes, origami tsunami decrease that feeling some but then in the Warren stone ep segment feels almost like a complete 180. His line "I don't understand you" was completely out of nowhere and uncalled for. I mean seriously?!? At least have him pay attention to some of his environment. That line alone is makes him sound like my cousin and she's in a huge self-centered rebellious phase.
__________________
Ashwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #72
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

Why did those big guys after the cat-squirl-monkey-dog-pokemon thing have little dogs with them?

And as I write that I'm theorizing that the dogs were actually in control of the people and the cat-dog thingy they were after was an escapee from some mystic dog experiment. As I'm not too familiar with Pokemon, I do however sort of want to give this creature a "experiment" number from the Lilo and Stitch series...
The little dogs were the big as wolf things the two mutant henchmen had. They were all in disguise.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #73
Leofan26
Mad Scientist
 
Leofan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Saw the second airing this morning, even though unlike 2012 it had left me with zero feeling of needing to check it out again. (With 2012 it often felt like there were things I missed or didn't quite catch and would sometimes catch the repeat on another Nick channel to check it out again. Which I liked about it. This one? So little substance that you don't really feel like you missed anything important... )

I didn't really notice it last night, but after viewing it again this morning on not enough sleep... omg can we just not with the artificial animation "shaky cam" in action scenes... Bad enough PD started off doing that. (The amount of bright coloration and crazy shakiness, I feel for migraine sufferers.)



The only things I'm curious about is how the magic weapons came to even be there, or who even tied the mutagen(?) bottle to the cat, er, monkey-squirrel, er dog thingy... but I doubt there will be answers. Disappointed that the magic weapons and the mystic city reveal were treated so unimportant.

Way has April's bat appeared to become a field hockey stick.

Torn whether the magic "M" doorway could be a slight nod to the summoned Battle Nexus doorway from 2003 or...not. I really think Leo's portal sword powers should at least have been used for this. Like someone actually bestowing these weapons to them and the sword's power could be used for return trips and fast getaways. Rather than just a video game-like special fight move. Give the boy some purpose to be there rather than just feeling redundant.
Really? You felt that way about Leo? I thought that about Raph, every time he'd think up an idea to help the team it'd fall flat on his face having Leo to do it instead. Every scene he'd do something and screw it up the next, maybe we're not watching the same show than and I'm one of Leo's biggest fans myself. I'm fine with the way there handling Leo in this version he's funny yet you can see leadership qualities in him and over time my bets season one final or later half of season one he will step in as leader.

Over all, I watched all four episodes and left me confused. I thought the plot was about the magic thing and the new magic weapons they found but that only showed up in episode one after that your average turtle episode with less emotion in it more comedy to fall back on.

April and Splinter are my least favorite characters of the series so far with Raph in third maybe if things don't change. I'd keep hitting my head on the key board whenever he did something. Leo and Donnie have been my favorites with Mikey kind of being meh.

I didn't find part B of episode four yet was that up and got taken down? If do bummer. Also, I am not noticing a change in relationships between the brothers in this series, they acted like Mikey would be with Leo more and be taken under his wing so far I haven't seen any of it but whatever I think I'll stay tune I'm kind of liking it so far and I want to see my boy Leo claim his rightful spot as leader again and hopefully Shredder show up as hinted soon.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #74
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 10,207
Don't start, Dejablue...

Personally, I'm not going to shortchange Mikey by figuring him the redundant one as he didn't ask for someone to try to steal his shtick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
The little dogs were the big as wolf things the two mutant henchmen had. They were all in disguise.
Ohhh, makes more sense then.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
Really? You felt that way about Leo? I thought that about Raph, every time he'd think up an idea to help the team it'd fall flat on his face having Leo to do it instead.
Well, my opinions so far are based only on the first episode. Sadly some of us are not able to view the rest that Nick decided to lock on their website. So some of you guys have gotten a better feel for it than us pitiful Comcast/Xfinity subscribers.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-21-2018 at 12:01 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #75
Xiewin
Stone Warrior
 
Xiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 900
Yeah they really screwed Raph over in this show. He can't do anything right and is constantly overshadowed by his brothers. Once he's no longer leader, which he already sucks at lol, he'll have nothing left to stand out as a character. Hopefully they fix this in the future. I really want to fully enjoy the show but I can't stand seeing Raph consistently make a fool out of himself.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #76
Leofan26
Mad Scientist
 
Leofan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well, my opinions so far are based only on the first episode. Sadly some of us are not able to view the rest that Nick decided to lock on their website. So some of you guys have gotten a better feel for it than us pitiful Comcast/Xfinity subscribers.
Want me to pm you a link I think people outside the US should be able to watch the, on? I won't post it here as I don't think we're allowed. Believe me, your opinion on Leo will change for the better as episodes go on.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #77
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 10,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
Yeah they really screwed Raph over in this show. He can't do anything right and is constantly overshadowed by his brothers. Once he's no longer leader, which he already sucks at lol, he'll have nothing left to stand out as a character. Hopefully they fix this in the future. I really want to fully enjoy the show but I can't stand seeing Raph consistently make a fool out of himself.
That is a shame. As much as they touted him being the biggest, oldest, leader, etc, like it was focused on being the Raph Show, at least to start with, it's surprising if they're treating him like that. Can't say I really noticed it in the first since they were all failing quite a bit.

Hopefully maybe the rest of us will be allowed to see these other eps soon and not have to wait until September when it's old news to the rest of you.


I really thought it would end up being Donnie that might get overshadowed just by the nature of their trying too hard to mix stuff up with Leo and Raph.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
Want me to pm you a link I think people outside the US should be able to watch the, on? I won't post it here as I don't think we're allowed. Believe me, your opinion on Leo will change for the better as episodes go on.
If you would, if it would by chance work for me too, that would be great, thanks!
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #78
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior
 
drag0nfeathers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 558
I'll have to watch it again to double check this, but has the word "brothers" not been mentioned either? I mean... I know it's common sense by now the turtles have always been bros but seeing they are different species in this show I wonder if that's not a coincidence they haven't made any remarks about being brothers yet... Maybe they did and I missed it. I've only watched the first 2 so far.
__________________

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #79
Leofan26
Mad Scientist
 
Leofan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
Yeah they really screwed Raph over in this show. He can't do anything right and is constantly overshadowed by his brothers. Once he's no longer leader, which he already sucks at lol, he'll have nothing left to stand out as a character. Hopefully they fix this in the future. I really want to fully enjoy the show but I can't stand seeing Raph consistently make a fool out of himself.
Right? As episodes go on including the first one seeing Raph act that way, I was like what have they done to you Raph? You guys thought he was changed for the worse in the 2012 version, awe man I feel for Raph fans right now.

Wonder when it will hit the other two brothers that Leo should be the leader instead?

Edit;

No problem Inigo, I'll pm you the link in a bit. You won't be disappointed in him beyond episode one.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #80
Xiewin
Stone Warrior
 
Xiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
That is a shame. As much as they touted him being the biggest, oldest, leader, etc, like it was focused on being the Raph Show, at least to start with, it's surprising if they're treating him like that. Can't say I really noticed it in the first since they were all failing quite a bit.

Hopefully maybe the rest of us will be allowed to see these other eps soon and not have to wait until September when it's old news to the rest of you.


I really thought it would end up being Donnie that might get overshadowed just by the nature of their trying too hard to mix stuff up with Leo and Raph.
As soon as I saw the description of his character, I knew exactly what was going to happen. Honestly, as of now it feels like Raph is their least favorite turtle. They could have at-least kept his sarcasm. But as of now, he's the stereotypical big guy with a heart that's a huge screw up.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.