The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #6201
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Tomorrowland. Damn good, better than I thought it would be.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #6202
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

The Lego Movie

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:37 PM   #6203
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
The Lego Movie
Love that movie

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:03 AM   #6204
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Nope, would have ruined it - for me anyway. Not in terms of the script, no, but character-wise, yes. They're relationship was so sweet and innocent; y'know, despite killing people .
Did a lot of people really not get the "Lolita" subtext in The Professional until someone pointed it out? I mean, it wasn't exactly subtle. There was nothing "innocent" about he "Like A Virgin" scene; that was a pitch, she was offering herself, under the guise of playing a game. And the part where she's asleep, and he puts the gun to her head and debates whether or not to kill her... it was always pretty clear to me that a huge part of that was because, "I might 'accidentally' commit a felony with this girl that in some people's eyes is even worse than murder, and I already have a lot on my plate, what with all the murders and all, so maybe I should just shoot this kid before I accidentally f*** her or something." I can see how there could be other reasons for him doing that but that was the HUGE reason.

Maybe because I'd already seen some sh*t and had a skewed worldview at a very young age, but I saw that movie when it was brand new and it was always very clear to me that it was kind of a "Lolita" movie. Hardly anything "innocent" about it; touching, maybe, would be a better descriptive term. Portman's parents were never thrilled with her wanting to do the movie in the first place, and apparently years later when Natalie saw it again as an adult she was kind of shocked and embarrassed how explicit some of that "subtext" was. But she did several movies like that in a row back then, movies with entire subplots about grown men wanting to nail this teenage girl, so I think she's just kind of an oblivious idiot.

I'unno, good movie, but it's.... pretty f*cking screwed up on absolutely every single level.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:23 AM   #6205
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
That made me laugh so I am teary eyed.

I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High last night. The B story with Sean Penn vs the US History teacher in a battle of wits was fun but it was just a side focus. The main plot was dull. Average girl has to decide if she wants cool guy who will give her sex that she craves or good guy who will give her a great relationship and no sex. After getting knocked up she presses the abort button and settles with The good guy and good relationship. I thought was supposed to be something to this film as it seems to have some cult status. I watched it to see Penn's influence on Townsend Coleman's Michelangelo.I did not care for te movie overall.
I agree whole heartedly. I found the Main story depressing. I wish it woulda been 80% Spicolli and 10% naive girl that gets pregnant as opposed to the other way around.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #6206
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
The Lego Movie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Love that movie
Annnd now its theme song is in my head.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #6207
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Did a lot of people really not get the "Lolita" subtext in The Professional until someone pointed it out? I mean, it wasn't exactly subtle. There was nothing "innocent" about he "Like A Virgin" scene; that was a pitch, she was offering herself, under the guise of playing a game. And the part where she's asleep, and he puts the gun to her head and debates whether or not to kill her... it was always pretty clear to me that a huge part of that was because, "I might 'accidentally' commit a felony with this girl that in some people's eyes is even worse than murder, and I already have a lot on my plate, what with all the murders and all, so maybe I should just shoot this kid before I accidentally f*** her or something." I can see how there could be other reasons for him doing that but that was the HUGE reason.

Maybe because I'd already seen some sh*t and had a skewed worldview at a very young age, but I saw that movie when it was brand new and it was always very clear to me that it was kind of a "Lolita" movie. Hardly anything "innocent" about it; touching, maybe, would be a better descriptive term. Portman's parents were never thrilled with her wanting to do the movie in the first place, and apparently years later when Natalie saw it again as an adult she was kind of shocked and embarrassed how explicit some of that "subtext" was. But she did several movies like that in a row back then, movies with entire subplots about grown men wanting to nail this teenage girl, so I think she's just kind of an oblivious idiot.

I'unno, good movie, but it's.... pretty f*cking screwed up on absolutely every single level.
I didn't see him putting the gun to her head for that reason; I thought because he didn't want anyone to compromise him, identify him as an assassin, and because he didn't have time to keep some brat kid as an adopted ward.

And yeah, that song and that costume... not just a game for her, obviously.

I've never liked Portman anyway, but I did wonder how her parents felt about that. Probably didn't care if they got some of the $$$.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #6208
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

The Visit. Somewhat creepy, not really funny.
Spoiler:
I was expecting something "big" to happen but I'm fine with how it went in the end.

Through the Golden Door

Last edited by AT-Man; 09-21-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #6209
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Annnd now its theme song is in my head.
rofl! haha too funny

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #6210
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I didn't see him putting the gun to her head for that reason; I thought because he didn't want anyone to compromise him, identify him as an assassin, and because he didn't have time to keep some brat kid as an adopted ward.

And yeah, that song and that costume... not just a game for her, obviously.

I've never liked Portman anyway, but I did wonder how her parents felt about that. Probably didn't care if they got some of the $$$.
I can see those being reasons. Like I said, there were a few reasons; he's fairly conflicted in general by the whole scenario. But I'm pretty sure, especially given the scene placement and the way the narrative was unfolding, that the BIG reason was the one I gave. I will say, that reading later on that the sex scene was in the script kind of solidified that theory in my mind. It definitely works to keep it intentionally vague as they did in the actual film, though.

I do like Portman, but she's kind of annoying sometimes too. Depends what she's in. I can't remember where, but I remember reading an interview where she said, like, at the time her parents tried to discourage her from making the movie because of all the obvious sexual subtext but she was too young to "get it." Seeing it years later as an adult she apparently still liked the film but suddenly understood exactly what was so "wrong" with it, and the "Like A Virgin" scene in particular was embarrassing for her to watch as an adult.

I can't say for sure but I'm almost positive the sex scene was cut way before Natalie saw the script. I don't think she would have agreed to do the movie, or more rather, I don't think her parents would have let her, if that scene was still in. I don't know but I mean... who'd let their kid shoot that? Pretty sure that was cut early and they never even knew about it.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:42 PM   #6211
senpai
Stone Warrior

Tusk. And it scared me so I never finished it. I know it's supposed to be one of those so-ridic-it's-hilarious type of movies, but I don't like torture terror. I seriously was about to cry when
Spoiler:
that crazy dude dragged Walrus Justin Long into the water to force him to swim now that he's a walrus man.
Then again I was in a bad mood to begin with so I'm sure that had something to do with it too
senpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:31 AM   #6212
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by senpai View Post
Tusk.
Hated that movie. The beginning was great, but as soon as I realized where it was going to, I lost all interest.

Through the Golden Door
Old 09-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #6213
senpai
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Hated that movie. The beginning was great, but as soon as I realized where it was going to, I lost all interest.
I don't blame you. I know what was going to happen because my friends told me--and we all love crappy horror films, but this one was too graphic for me.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #6214
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Tusk. And it scared me so I never finished it. I know it's supposed to be one of those so-ridic-it's-hilarious type of movies, but I don't like torture terror. I seriously was about to cry when
Spoiler:
that crazy dude dragged Walrus Justin Long into the water to force him to swim now that he's a walrus man.
Then again I was in a bad mood to begin with so I'm sure that had something to do with it too
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Quote:
I don't blame you. I know what was going to happen because my friends told me--and we all love crappy horror films, but this one was too graphic for me.
Dayum, sounds like I need to check out Tusk then. I've seen some of the worst horror films known to man. Bring it on!

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #6215
senpai
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Dayum, sounds like I need to check out Tusk then. I've seen some of the worst horror films known to man. Bring it on!
lol Knock yourself out! You might like it
Old 09-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #6216
Powder
So tired of this place

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, I had never seen it before. Was alright. The two dudes are kinda annoying but it was worth riding out. I can definitely see the TMNT in them.

Also halfway into the live action adaption of an anime called Princess Jellyfish.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #6217
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, I had never seen it before. Was alright. The two dudes are kinda annoying but it was worth riding out. I can definitely see the TMNT in them.
Now you know the wonders of their air guitar skills.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #6218
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
For me Tusk was just same old tired crap, and it was pretty boring too.

Through the Golden Door
Old 09-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #6219
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
I agree whole heartedly. I found the Main story depressing. I wish it woulda been 80% Spicolli and 10% naive girl that gets pregnant as opposed to the other way around.
Spicolli usually is front and center of the advertisements for the film so I thought he was the main character not Jennifer Jason Leigh. I was interested in his story not just because I am a history teacher, but the character was more fun and was humbled somewhat in the end. I would have liked to have seen the bit where he saves Brooke Shields and blows the reward money on paying Van Halen to play at his 18th birthday party. Laughs are guaranteed.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #6220
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Never? NEVER?!?! Unreal, dude! I based my entire life on that movie.

Tags
movies