The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hating on TNM doesn't seem fair. It's like picking on a kid with down's syndrome, or something.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #22
pferreira
Foot Elite

The reason I don't like The Next Mutation is simply that it doesn't feel enough like Turtles. It feels like a Saban produced show, a sort of "what would happen if Saban made Ninja Turtles" scenario come to life. Turtles deserved better than a Power Rangers style production.

I also thought adding a fifth female Turtle ruined the whole thing. The irony of course is if this was done today it would be embraced by the mainstream media for being progressive.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #23
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It was a bad idea poorly executed.
Leave it to plastron to put down strong female characters.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #24
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefanforever View Post
Oh brother. Getting a little defensive, aren't we?

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #25
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

It's kind of cute, really.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #26
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Quote:
why did you single out plastron's criticism of the show when most of the comments are doing exactly the same thing in more detail. Also how did you get a "putting strong female characters down" vibe off of her pretty neutral comment?

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #27
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

turtlefanforever is a special kind of troll. he gets defensive whenever anyone talks bad about TNM its hilarious
Old 02-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #28
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
People can't deal with change. It was the first real change to the franchise (tv medium wise) and they couldnt handle it. And a lot of people hate it simply cause others hate it. Bandwagon and whatnot.

A lot of them were also P-O'd it wasnt "dark and gritty"
And, for every one of those there are millions who dislike it for being very poorly written and produced.

Of course, anyone who still liked it for what it was (I guess the villains like Dragon Lord, Vam Mi, and Bonesteel have some charm and I can see where someone might like Venus, I don't, but I can see why someone might). But, I think most would agree that it was just a really bad show, and not some sort of "misunderstood gem" that you're painting it as.

But, if you like it, more power to ya!

Last edited by Tetsu Deinonychus; 02-25-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #29
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

well

I had the benefit of seeing without any outside opinions influencing me. If you've read all the hate before you see it you're already screwed and arent able to enjoy it and view it as the misunderstood gem it really is.

And I don't see how it was poorly produced. Seemed on par with shows at the time.

And on the plastron comment. She preaches equality and is saying a stromg female character added to the franchise is/was a bad idea.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #30
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I guess I need to revisit this show again someday, because I just don't get the Venus hate. I know I haven't seen this since it originally aired, but I liked her character, personally.

Last edited by ssjup81; 02-25-2017 at 04:39 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #31
dragonside
Hench Mutant

The sound effects = soooo stoop

so stoop

If they made the tone a bit more serious - and half the scenes not looking like a rag tag gorilla shot.

I think it could have been a good series.

Out of all the voices I would say that most of the Turtles' voices were terrible.
Like ugh.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #32
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I had the benefit of seeing without any outside opinions influencing me. If you've read all the hate before you see it you're already screwed and arent able to enjoy it and view it as the misunderstood gem it really is.
You're making great assumptions here.

Quote:
And I don't see how it was poorly produced. Seemed on par with shows at the time.
There's no denying it was pretty low-budget. Bad lip syncing, shoddy costumes, a ton of reused stock footage, and TWO clip show episodes in a 26 part season.

Quote:
And on the plastron comment. She preaches equality and is saying a stromg female character added to the franchise is/was a bad idea.
Venus was a Mary Sue and an unabashed marketing ploy.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #33
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I guess I need to revisit this show again someday, because I just don't get the Venus hate. I know I haven't seen this sense it originally aired, but I liked her character, personally.
I think I saw maybe two or three episodes when it originally aired, and then just moved on. Power Rangers never really did it for me, and this show was basically a turtle-shaped riff on that.

I'd be curious to see how it's production values, or lack thereof, have aged...but I don't know that I currently have enough booze in the house at the moment for a rewatch to be possible.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #34
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Venus wasn't a strong female character, she was a glorified The Girl trope that had overpowered magic abilities and was a annoying "fish out of water" type on top of it as she continually spoke phrases wrong and had to be corrected by the Turtles. She wasn't a natural part of the group and just felt like a tacked on character that the Turtles could perv/romance over.

And shellboobs, and she's named after a artwork rather then an artist making her even more outside of the group. And calling Chinese Magic-Users for Shinobi.

If you want a good example of a strong, well written female Turtle character, Sophie's fancomic of SotO is the place to go.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #35
plastroncafe

They're not looking for decent representations of female characters, they're trolling for attention. It's best to just pat them on the head, give them a You Tried participation ribbon, and let them be on their way.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #36
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

just Tell trollfanforever to go to his safe space its not worth arguing with him
Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

I don't. The damage it left on the franchise was WAY smaller than the one the Bay movies have done on it. Your average Joe doesn't even remember what the TNM or might not even know about it. Plus it came out at a time where the TMNT popularity was pretty much dead.

Anyway, bad writing and crappy costumes aside, introducing a female Turtle just like that wasn't something the fanbase was ever going to accept. People would faster accept the anime TMNT as canon than Venus de Milo's existence.

I guess if it came out nowadays it'd be embraced by all the SJWs and such since "OMG female representation!" and wtv.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #38
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
I had the benefit of seeing without any outside opinions influencing me.
So did I.

Quote:
If you've read all the hate before you see it you're already screwed and arent able to enjoy it and view it as the misunderstood gem it really is.
I watched it when it first came out and I didn't have any internet access back then (had never even been on the internet), and had no contact with any other TMNT fan. I watched it excited to have a new TMNT show and was willing to give Venus a chance.

I found it to be terrible.

Not everyone who disagrees with you about a TV show is closed-minded or brainwashed or "on the bandwagon" or whatever you're accusing us of. By most people's standards it just wasn't a good show. If you found enough good about it to like it, by all means, watch it! Enjoy it! Just don't expect everyone to agree with you.

Quote:
Well, there were a LOT of poorly produced children's action shows back then. Saban was churning them out by the truckload in the late '90s, and not all of them even had the benefit of a superior Japanese counterpart to borrow designs and action footage from.

Quote:
She was a female character, but not many would consider her a "strong" one. I would say she was background scenery at best and a "Mary-sue" at worst. A decent rendition of April or Karai would have been better, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler
I don't. The damage it left on the franchise was WAY smaller than the one the Bay movies have done on it. Your average Joe doesn't even remember what the TNM or might not even know about it. Plus it came out at a time where the TMNT popularity was pretty much dead.
I have noticed the hate has softened lately. I think it was hated more when it seemed like it was the "last word" on the franchise. Now that we've known for over a decade that NM isn't going to be the last TMNT thing ever, and had no lasting damage on TMNT as a whole, most people still aren't going to like it, but will realize it's presence in TMNT history is fairly harmless.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #39
sdp
-

TNM rox !!!
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #40
Prowler
Emperor

Yeah, Testu. I cannot bring myself to have on The Next Mutation. The general audience doesn't even remember it and let alone accepts it as canon. Most people probably don't even know it existed in the first place.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
next mutation