The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I sure wish I didn't.

The first one sucks, but it was a decent night out at the movies. Some action, some laughs, and it didn't run too long. The production/script problems were plain as day, but I'd say between Bay's alien thing and whoever the hell wanted white Shredder, we got the best possible platinum dunes version.

OotS was total sh*t. And there was apparently no quarrel with what kind of crap it was intended to be. Small in scope, lacking in character motivations (at least Sachs wanted to get rich!), "fight" scenes for toddlers, coupled with inexplicable sexual stuff and swear words.

I used my free ticket that came with Beyond the Known Universe for that one. They deserved to lose all the money they did on that turd.
And other people wonder why you drink so much!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #22
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Kinda envy those who haven't seen it. That's two hours of my life I'll never get back.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #23
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I'm having a Bad Movie Night but I had to stop it not even a third of the way in. Now I'm watching Suicide Squad and this weird-ass clip show of a movie is somehow better
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #24
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
And other people wonder why you drink so much!
One of many reasons lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I'm having a Bad Movie Night but I had to stop it not even a third of the way in. Now I'm watching Suicide Squad and this weird-ass clip show of a movie is somehow better
How many songs have played so far?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #25
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
One of many reasons lol

How many songs have played so far?
😂 😂 😂 dozens, I lost count after the first ten minutes
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #26
Galactus
Foot Elite

I did see it.

For a while I was completely against seeing it, even with morbid curiosity of how much of a mess it would be I was determined not to reward a movie I felt was poorly made. Strangely it tanking at the box office made me change my mind. As if I wasn't making a difference. I was able to catch it at the cinema.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #27
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

I did think the movie tried to have more heart and get "back to the roots" than the first PD film.

It honestly felt more like the TMNT than TMNT (2007) did.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #28
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
I did think the movie tried to have more heart and get "back to the roots" than the first PD film.

It honestly felt more like the TMNT than TMNT (2007) did.
If by "roots" you mean Playmates old template for merch, then sure, they certainly tried to emulate that. It's not accurate to call it "roots" though, if it was trying to get back to the roots it wouldn't really take characters and concepts from other adaptations, or at least not highlight them.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #29
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Well I don't mean Mirage obviously, but the early hype Fred Wolf / live action movie camaraderie feel.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:28 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Well I don't mean Mirage obviously, but the early hype Fred Wolf / live action movie camaraderie feel.
Eh, what? Huh?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #31
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

Haven't seen the first Bay TMNT, haven't seen the second...couldn't bring myself to do it even on free to air.

Life's too short.

R.I.P. Dave Brockie A.K.A. Oderus Urungus
None But The Brave
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 AM   #32
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Finally got around to watching it. I think it was much better than the first. Definitely more FW oriented but overall it's just more coherent.

My only complaint would be is this Shredder supposed to be the one from the first movie? It can't be but it's funny they make no mention of anyone taking his place. It's just...Shredder is back!

I guess if you wanna stretch your suspension of disbelief you could say this new replacement Shredder came around and got beat before the events of OOTS. We just never saw that happen.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #33
Stephen
Hench Mutant

I haven't seen either of them.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #34
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Finally got around to watching it. I think it was much better than the first. Definitely more FW oriented but overall it's just more coherent.

My only complaint would be is this Shredder supposed to be the one from the first movie? It can't be but it's funny they make no mention of anyone taking his place. It's just...Shredder is back!

I guess if you wanna stretch your suspension of disbelief you could say this new replacement Shredder came around and got beat before the events of OOTS. We just never saw that happen.
Such harsh comments about this movie! To their credit, PD addressed several big issues they ran into with the first one...only no one went to the theater to find out. Good way to kill this particular franchise, but a risky move for those who want a rebooted TMNT movie in the future. If the property isn't viewed as profitable...

What is your issue with Shredder in this one? It's been a while since I saw 2014, but didn't he survive that movie? If so, I'm not sure what the problem is, unless you're referring to the actor switch between movies.

But I agree...OotS is better than the 2014 movie...MUCH better in my book. 2014 was a mess from beginning to end.

I'd say SotO slightly edges out OotS, simply for nostalgia. Both are about equally as nonsensical and such a departure from the turtles I enjoy. Fine popcorn flick. The 2014 movie set the bar super low for me, so this one was fine as there were absolutely no expectations.

Of course, take what I say with a grain. This site tends to hate the 2007 TMNT movie and I thought it was great. It was like a Tales of the TMNT storyarc popped off the pages and onto the screen. And FINALLY we didn't have to fall back on Shredder as the main villain. So refreshing!

1990>2007>SotO>OotS>III=2014
Old 05-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
Such harsh comments about this movie! To their credit, PD addressed several big issues they ran into with the first one
Like how to make an even crappier movie? They succeeded.

Quote:
...only no one went to the theater to find out. Good way to kill this particular franchise, but a risky move for those who want a rebooted TMNT movie in the future. If the property isn't viewed as profitable...
It didn't bomb so hard that it's radioactive. It bombed so hard that this iteration will never be revisited.

Quote:
What is your issue with Shredder in this one? It's been a while since I saw 2014, but didn't he survive that movie?
He fell off a building and it's never really said. Who cares, though? His dignity (or the film's) didn't.

Quote:
I'd say SotO slightly edges out OotS, simply for nostalgia.
Why is that a get-out-of-jail-free card?

Quote:
Of course, take what I say with a grain. This site tends to hate the 2007 TMNT movie and I thought it was great.
Very little to like in it beyond the family stuff and the Raphael vs. Leonardo stuff. Felt like a bad Playstation 1 FMV come to life.

Quote:
It was like a Tales of the TMNT storyarc popped off the pages and onto the screen. And FINALLY we didn't have to fall back on Shredder as the main villain. So refreshing!
Though it did trade hard on "Shredder is coming back! In the next one! Just hang on!!!"
Old 05-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #36
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Like how to make an even crappier movie? They succeeded.

Do tell...what did you like better about the 2014 movie vs. the 2016 movie?

It didn't bomb so hard that it's radioactive. It bombed so hard that this iteration will never be revisited.

I realize that...but make enough TMNT movies that are commercial failures and eventually studios won't want to invest in them down the road. I think the best case scenario, even if you don't like the series much (to be clear, I don't), would be for this to have moderate success after 2-3 movies, wait a few years, and then reboot with a better vision and (hopefully) more money. I think the last thing any of us wants is for the property to fall into obscurity.

He fell off a building and it's never really said. Who cares, though? His dignity (or the film's) didn't.

We get it, you don't like the movie. Does insulting it so aggressively make you feel good?

Why is that a get-out-of-jail-free card?

I'm not sure what you mean here. I'm not saying I like either very much. I liked SotO as a kid, but it didn't really hold up when viewed as an adult. I enjoyed it about as much as I did OotS when viewed the first time. I have no real desire to watch either again, but if I had to rank them, SotO would get the edge simply because of the nostalgia factor. Both movies are FAR behind the other two movies I ranked higher. I don't understand where a "get-out-of-jail-free card" factors in.

Very little to like in it beyond the family stuff and the Raphael vs. Leonardo stuff. Felt like a bad Playstation 1 FMV come to life.

I think that's just it...it ignored the campy stuff from the previous 2 films and focused mostly on family, which is a big part of why I like the property as a whole. I feel like a lot of the story revolved around the family dynamic and how it evolved since we last saw the Turtles. This "family stuff" came to a head when Leo and Raph finally worked out their differences on the rooftop...a really great scene. To me, the whole movie was about the family...any monster stuff was background noise...just something to deal with...not unlike many of the comics I'm so fond of.

But it sounds like you also have a problem with the graphics? Maybe the art style wasn't your thing, but I wouldn't call it poorly done...certainly wouldn't compare it to a bad PS1 FMV. A bit of an exaggeration, no?

Though it did trade hard on "Shredder is coming back! In the next one! Just hang on!!!"

Of course he was mentioned. I've resigned myself to the fact that mainstream TMNT media will never get away from the Shredder as the main antagonist for long. The general public wouldn't have it. It's the same reason the Joker pops up every time we see Batman. He has a host of interesting rogues, but everyone wants to see Joker. The same is true with the TMNT and Shredder.

But it was nice to not have to rely on him as the big bad. I think doing so allowed the movie to focus on the familial strife instead of the external threat.
For a fan of the TMNT, you sure seem to have a passionate distaste for a lot of the official media that's released. Is there anything that was officially licensed that's been put out in the last 15 years that you've liked? Honest question.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #37
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Yeah, no offense to the actors, but the lack use of both Shredder and Karai kind of made the change pointless. In addition to no explanation for Shredder (which would have taken 10 seconds to explain on film), most annoying to me is that they pretty much just turned Karai into a Barbie doll who, for the most part, just stood around.

*sigh* Bay films...

I mean.... cool, well thought out female characters with a purpose? Who does that? Inconceivable!

Realistically, she probably shouldn't have survived the snow chase, given the circumstances, so why even bother including her in the second if she has no role to play.

I'm still glad for other changes they made that granted some hopes I had for the second and it makes me like this one more, but the rest of the script supporting it is so weak...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #38
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

It kinda makes me wonder how OOTS wouldve been if Shredder, Karai and Baxter were removed entirely and it was just Krang on earth commanding Bebop and Rocksteady.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
For a fan of the TMNT, you sure seem to have a passionate distaste for a lot of the official media that's released.
It's not my fault it's largely rubbish. I'm not 6 years old and don't harbor any nostalgia for seeing Bebop, Rocksteady, and Turtlevans so I don't really fit into the demographic any of the media is shooting for.

Quote:
Is there anything that was officially licensed that's been put out in the last 15 years that you've liked?
I enjoyed... aspects of the IDW comics. I like the reincarnation angle, for a TMNT universe. It would lend itself well to film, all of the flashbacks to Feudal Japan being a thing. Um, Shredder's design in IDW is pretty neat, too? #5 was pretty cool. 30th anniversary special they put out was bad-ass.

Quote:
Do tell...what did you like better about the 2014 movie vs. the 2016 movie?
Well, I've only ever seen the 2014 movie, I haven't seen the 2016 movie. But I feel validated somewhere between the 2016 movie being the sum of all fears and this sort of marketing:

Even though they actually didn't know what movie they were shooting when they shot 2014 (they didn't, they shot 3 versions of it), it's still a fairly harmless if insultingly un-TMNT-like experiment.

Quote:
I realize that...but make enough TMNT movies that are commercial failures and eventually studios won't want to invest in them down the road. I think the best case scenario, even if you don't like the series much (to be clear, I don't), would be for this to have moderate success after 2-3 movies, wait a few years, and then reboot with a better vision and (hopefully) more money.
I'm sure that's the general idea.

Quote:
I think the last thing any of us wants is for the property to fall into obscurity.
I'm very OK with obscurity if the alternative is mediocrity.

Quote:
We get it, you don't like the movie. Does insulting it so aggressively make you feel good?
No. Why?

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here. I'm not saying I like either very much. I liked SotO as a kid, but it didn't really hold up when viewed as an adult. I enjoyed it about as much as I did OotS when viewed the first time. I have no real desire to watch either again, but if I had to rank them, SotO would get the edge simply because of the nostalgia factor. Both movies are FAR behind the other two movies I ranked higher. I don't understand where a "get-out-of-jail-free card" factors in.
I thought it was obvious. You're giving SotO extra points simple because of nostalgia. I see where you're coming from, but I don't think a thing deserves special protection from scrutiny or critique simply because it's something we saw when we were 8.

Quote:
I think that's just it...it ignored the campy stuff from the previous 2 films and focused mostly on family, which is a big part of why I like the property as a whole. I feel like a lot of the story revolved around the family dynamic and how it evolved since we last saw the Turtles. This "family stuff" came to a head when Leo and Raph finally worked out their differences on the rooftop...a really great scene. To me, the whole movie was about the family...any monster stuff was background noise...just something to deal with...not unlike many of the comics I'm so fond of.
If they'd mostly stuck to the meat and bones of family, found a villain that wasn't 10 cartoonish monster things and an old guy named Monologue, they might have had something.

Quote:
But it sounds like you also have a problem with the graphics?
A minor nit in the grand scheme of things. I'm not a fan of the designs in 2007 (mostly the humans bother me) but I would have forgiven that if it was a decent watch.

Quote:
Of course he was mentioned. I've resigned myself to the fact that mainstream TMNT media will never get away from the Shredder as the main antagonist for long. The general public wouldn't have it. It's the same reason the Joker pops up every time we see Batman. He has a host of interesting rogues, but everyone wants to see Joker. The same is true with the TMNT and Shredder.
In mainstream, sure. In the source material he popped up and was killed. Showed up a couple of years later and was killed. He hasn't shown up since.

Quote:
But it was nice to not have to rely on him as the big bad. I think doing so allowed the movie to focus on the familial strife instead of the external threat.
On a list of impressive things about 2007, I'd grant that. But it'd be a pretty short list.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-10-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, no offense to the actors, but the lack use of both Shredder and Karai kind of made the change pointless. In addition to no explanation for Shredder (which would have taken 10 seconds to explain on film), most annoying to me is that they pretty much just turned Karai into a Barbie doll who, for the most part, just stood around.

*sigh* Bay films...
Man, Karai has had a really, really rough time on the big screen. Three movies in a row she's been maligned.

2007, she gets smacked around and knocked out by April ****ing O'Neil. 2014 she does a whole lot of nothing, then "dies" in a truck collision on a mountain. 2016, it sounds like she de-ages 15 years and just does the whole lot of nothing part this time out? Damn.

I feel very bad for Minae Noji. Beautiful, beautiful woman and a picture perfect Karai. She was wasted on TMNT 2014.