The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 07-01-2018, 03:02 AM   #61
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Wasn't walmart one of the last places to sell VHS and casette tapes as well?
They stopped selling VHS tapes in early-2005, announced in June 2005

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/13/news...0/walmart_vhs/

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20.../0119242.shtml
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #62
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
They probably ditched blank tapes around that time, but I could have sworn that they had stopped selling pre-recorded VHS earlier than that.

I know that Best Buy and Target stopped selling pre-recorded VHS material around late 2003 or earlier. I didn't even realize that until a time when I was at a Best Buy in late 2003, when someone was asking about Finding Nemo on VHS, and the associate he was asking told him that they no longer sell VHS material. I know they were still selling blank VHS tapes, but I don't remember when they phased those out. Anyway, since I heard the Best Buy associate mention that they no longer sell material on VHS, I remember checking Target to see if they also ditched material on VHS, and they had. I'm pretty sure I checked Wal-Mart around that time and saw no pre-recorded VHS material. I even saw that Blockbuster even stopped renting out VHS movies. The only stores that were still selling pre-recorded VHS material at that time, however, were Tower Records, Sam Goody, and Suncoast.

I think the last time I ever bought blank VHS tapes was back in 2013. It was from a Walgreens, and I bought them to record episodes of Digimon Fusion's first season.

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 07-01-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #63
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

June 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
They probably ditched blank tapes around that time, but I could have sworn that they had stopped selling pre-recorded VHS earlier than that.

I know that Best Buy and Target stopped selling pre-recorded VHS material around late 2003 or earlier. I didn't even realize that until a time when I was at a Best Buy in late 2003, when someone was asking about Finding Nemo on VHS, and the associate he was asking told him that they no longer sell VHS material.
DVD rentals surpassed VHS rentals in June 2003

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/06/20/die-vhs-die
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote