The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #41
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
You get somebody to look at TMNT like they looked at the Joker, you'll have a real hit. TMNT is a violent book, about savage animals taking revenge on Ninja's. That's it.
Yeah...not sure I'd want to go that far in the other direction.Nothing about TMNT can't be done in PG-13.

Plus the whole tone of The Joker is something to be avoided. It's a movie that has all the look and stylings of a serious art house movie making serious about society simply masquerading as a comic book when it's basically just a silly comic book about a guy messed up by his mother.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #42
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Yeah...not sure I'd want to go that far in the other direction.Nothing about TMNT can't be done in PG-13.

Plus the whole tone of The Joker is something to be avoided. It's a movie that has all the look and stylings of a serious art house movie making serious about society simply masquerading as a comic book when it's basically just a silly comic book about a guy messed up by his mother.
I disagree entirely. I think Andrew is with me here. Violent savagery is EXACTLY what TMNT is missing.

They've tried goofy, they tried tongue in cheek. It's time for realism.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #43
pferreira
Foot Elite

Saw the video. Imagine waiting for Harvey Keitel and getting a Ninja Turtle instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I just don't think that a Fred Wold inspired movie is the way to go. Some of the concepts of that show are just very difficult to translate in a modern action movie. Out Of The Shadows had some glaring problems but it was actually a fair stab at and it was still bad.
Everyone in these comments say he looks like Fred Wolf Don but he looks almost nothing like him, especially personality.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #44
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Saw the video. Imagine waiting for Harvey Keitel and getting a Ninja Turtle instead.

Everyone in these comments say he looks like Fred Wolf Don but he looks almost nothing like him, especially personality.
There's a lot of FW in there, but it's distorted. Bad fan art distorted.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I disagree entirely. I think Andrew is with me here. Violent savagery is EXACTLY what TMNT is missing.

They've tried goofy, they tried tongue in cheek. It's time for realism.
It's really the one thing they haven't tried, at this point. After finally doing what "everyone" wanted and bringing Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang and Technodrome to life on the big screen and it failing spectacularly, let's turn over that stone.

And cut the budget. You don't need to spend 135 million on a TMNT movie. "Into the Shadows" cost that and TMNT 1990 cost 13 million. Even adjusting for inflation that's, what, 20 million? Get a passionate visionary filmmaker, a solid writer that will say "the Mirage Turtles" when you ask them what their favorite TMNT is, give them 50 million, no studio interference and turn them loose on a movie that "pushes the boundaries" of PG-13 and see what happens.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:25 PM   #46
Leo656
The Franchise

Even hoping or wishing for anything like that now that Nick owns it is just begging for heartburn. Might as well ask for a unicorn since we're just jacking off about stuff that's impossible.

Toys aside, it's a dead brand. The best days are long since passed. The same corporate overlords who've kept The Sponge on the air for two decades aren't going to serve up anything more than junk food for little kids. It's over. TMNT is dead. Even the IDW comics only get away with as much as they do because nobody reads them. If they had a circulation of a million readers or so, you can bet that Nick would tighten the fist a bit, but as it is that project is under their radar.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as sick of TMNT For Kids as anyone, but Nick buying them was pretty much the worst-case scenario if a gritty/violent movie or TV show was anyone's hope. Unless they sell it, anyone who dislikes the status quo while hoping for anything different is simply grinding down their teeth for no reason.

I don't see Nick ever selling it. Therefore, as a realist, I simply don't care about this brand at all anymore, except as (somewhat ironically) a vehicle for toys. Which is admittedly odd; the obsession with toy marketing is arguably what ruined the whole concept of TMNT in the first place, BUT, it's the only thing that is actually giving fans in 2020 anything to look forward to. But that's the situation.

I mean I get why people who are not satisfied want to hope and even beg for something better, but at the same time, it's kinda like writing letters to Santa even after you know he's not real. It won't change the situation and you're simply not going to get what you want.

Without being a jerk on purpose, I do sincerely wonder why anyone does in fact hope/want/expect that Nick would somehow change course for this ONE brand - which is simply not very important to them compared to The Sponge and their other in-house brands - even though it would mean going completely against what they represent as a company, which is Fluff For Kids. You REALLY think that would ever happen? Common sense says it won't. Why persist? Why wallow in disappointment and aggravation needlessly?

Is it really so hard to move on? Can't TMNT just be "Something I USED to like" at some point? Works fine for me. I still revisit the Good Stuff from the past and am satisfied, without all the aggravation and impotent rage inherent in hoping that it's ever going to be that good again.

I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my current interaction (or lack thereof) with the franchise. In short: It sucks now, so I quit. I get the feeling that a lot of people kinda want to do the same, but simply can't bring themselves to, for some reason. And I'm not sure why. Those movies and stuff that y'all want just aren't going to happen. Make peace with it.

At least until someone else buys it. But I'm not holding my breath.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:29 AM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Oh, I agree with you. And I'm positive Viacom would rather just sit on TMNT and not sell it to anyone than allow another studio to possibly do good by it, even if they themselves ever give up on it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:35 AM   #48
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I didn’t notice this til now but this is pretty great. I mean sure the cgi could be better but it’s a commercial not a movie quality production. Still impressive.

I disagree that they should go in a really violent direction. Anything PG-13 or pushing that limit would be enough. Something with a balanced tone. Like TMNT. It genuinely took itself seriously. Now I wanna watch that. It’s been awhile.

No reason to fully abandon any franchise. Everything goes through ups and downs. We know nothing about the next movie...just that it’s by PD seriously though something else is always in the works.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:35 AM   #49
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

. . . This was great. Felt like the old 'toon. Kind of bummed it won't be anything more than this.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:18 AM   #50
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post

No reason to fully abandon any franchise. Everything goes through ups and downs. We know nothing about the next movie...just that it’s by PD seriously though something else is always in the works.
Sure there is! The best possible reason is when a thing no longer offers any enjoyment, at which point it becomes a waste of time and money and a source of aggravation. There's absolutely no reason to become "wedded" to a piece of entertainment or a hobby. When it's not fun anymore, do something else. It's just like with wrestling; I do it because it's fun to perform, but I can't watch it because it's generally presented so poorly. These things we fill our days with can only be temporary, and leaving them behind once they become more frustrating than fun opens up the mind and energy for other, more fulfilling things.

With TMNT, I realized at some point that I was mostly "keeping up" with it out of obligation more than interest, despite not really enjoying most of what I was looking at. Sometime in the middle of Mirage Vol. 4. I didn't like the comic, but spent a lot of money on it, and towards the end when money was getting tight, I was actually relieved that they decided to end it because I literally felt like I was just throwing my money away by buying it. Then way later on, when I was underwhelmed by the Nick cartoon, thoroughly disgusted by the PD films, and then again with Rise, I took stock and realized that I actually disliked more TMNT products than I enjoyed, and given that, it really doesn't make sense for me, personally, to sit around and wait for anyone to give me what I want, when those people have repeatedly told me that No, that's not happening.

It's fine. Again, hobbies or interests don't have to be permanent. I can watch the 1990 film once in a while, or scattered episodes of the first two cartoon shows, pick up some toys now and then, and play some video games, and that's officially all the TMNT that I "need". More bad than good exists in the brand now, with more on the way; not interested, not really paying much attention to it at all. I hear mumblings about a new movie, and I'm literally, "So what?" And while it's not something I predicted as a child, when I was a fanatic, as an adult I'm perfectly fine focusing ONLY on things which I trust will fulfill me and make me happy. TMNT is not one of those things in its present form and likely never will be again.

So yeah, there are plenty of very good reasons to give up and move on from a brand, or any hobby once it no longer fulfills you. I would argue that it actually makes more sense than wishing and hoping and always getting annoyed in the end, but that's me.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:32 AM   #51
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The commercial is really cute. I think with a movie budget he'd fit in the type of movies like Alvin and the Chipmunks, Smurfs, Garfield and Sonic; where the creatures are obviously cartoons but are still treated as real and do fit in the world (mostly... Garfield wasn't the best at cgi integration)

And I think with even more tweaking he'd be fit for a "real" live-action creature effect.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:09 AM   #52
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@Leo656, ya it’s fine to stick to whatever parts of the franchise you like. That’s not abandoning it just picking your favorites. I think a lot of people do that with popular series.

I’m not aggravated by recent Turtle offerings. I was enjoying Rise but it wasn’t my absolute favorite incarnation. I realize it’s a dry spell at the moment too.

Just waiting to see more about the movie. Regardless of PD it’s interesting to see what they come up with now that the last version is over with.

Like what if something really cool comes along? Surely you won’t ignore it no matter what. You’ll check it out and probably stick with it.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #53
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

I thought the commercial looked great!

Keep in mind, it is a commercial and has a MUCH lower budget than a feature film. I thought the design was unique yet recognizable, which I'm betting is EXACTLY what they were going for.

If we're talking movies, I think they should go 100% live action (like the first 3 movie) or 100% animated/CGI (like 2007 TMNT or Turtles Forever). A hybrid of the two is the least interesting option to me, but it seems to be the most likely way that Hollywood will go in the current landscape.

I still look to Hellboy from 2004 as a terrific example of what terrific effects can be achieved trough traditional means and only supplemented with CGI when necessary. I'd love to see a live action TMNT movie that showcased how far monster-maker technology has come in the 30 years since the first movie.

All that said, this commercial was enjoyable. If nothing else, it worked. We're talking about it.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #54
AquaParade
Banned

This is great fun to see. I always enjoy seeing TMNT pop-up. It almost reminds me of the simple thrill of seeing Michelangelo guest star in that cartoon about drugs, back in the 90's.
It's not something I necessarily want to see replicated for the big screen. I agree with Galactus that there was merit in what PD was going for, design-wise, even if it ended up falling flat and looking pretty bad. I'm actually a big fan of the clothing, but not the size and facial features.

As for the franchise in general, I haven't abandoned it, yet I don't give it any more time or money than it deserves. I'm disappointed with the overall output, but I still find upcoming TMNT projects that interest me, whether that's the occasional IDW comic - The Last Ronin being a great example, or the Neca figures. And I do think it's highly possible that a good TMNT story is told on the big screen again. I'm not holding my breath, I'm just sipping some lemonade in the corner and keeping an eye out.

Lastly, I recently have begun to appreciate TMNT 2012 all over again. I was pleasantly surprised by the show when it debuted. It exceeded my low expectations and kept me hooked for a couple seasons. Tedium did set in and I dropped the show around season 3, aside from a few episodes from later seasons. After rewatching season 2, I've realized how much I enjoy about this show.
While my ideal incarnation of TMNT would have less censorship and a stronger bite to the violence and tone, TMNT 2012 is a nearly perfect "all-ages TMNT" product and the perfect gateway drug for children everywhere.

One pro: the storyboarding, at least in season 2, is fantastic. Inventive and cinematic camera angles that keep the action scenes stimulating and go a long way in helping you forget the lack of detail and budget afforded to backgrounds and character designs.

One con: the writing is a mixed bag and Mikey again has to fill the role of contributing the "bottom of the barrel" comedy relief all too often. Greg Cipes does charming voice work, and thankfully they do give Mikey moments to shine, but a lot of his dialogue falls flat on me. Last few thoughts:

- I'm anxious to see what I missed by skipping over the second half of the show. Anyone have an opinion on how well the quality holds up?

- Why haven't Nickelodeon released this or seemingly any of their shows on bluray? I'd do terrible things to own this in 4k.

- I find myself fascinated by the fact that I find TMNT 2012 easily twice as entertaining as TMNT 07, which seems a fair enough comparison, for the sake of discussion. I'd be curious to hear other opinions on this.

Last edited by AquaParade; 03-09-2020 at 05:29 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:04 AM   #55
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
This is great fun to see. I always enjoy seeing TMNT pop-up. It almost reminds me of the simple thrill of seeing Michelangelo guest star in that cartoon about drugs, back in the 90's.

It's not something I necessarily want to see replicated for the big screen. I agree with Galactus that there was merit in what PD was going for, design-wise, even if it ended up falling flat and looking pretty bad. I'm actually a big fan of the clothing, but not the size and facial features.

As for the franchise in general, I haven't abandoned it yet I don't give it any more time or money than it deserves from me. While I'm disappointed with the overall output, I still find upcoming TMNT projects that interest me, whether that's the occasional IDW comic - The Last Ronin being a great example, or the Neca figures. And I do think it's highly possible that a good TMNT story is told on the big screen again. I'm not holding my breath, I'm just sipping some lemonade in the corner and keeping an eye out.

Lastly, I recently have begun to appreciate TMNT 2012 all over again. I was pleasantly surprised by the show when it debuted. It exceeded my low expectations and kept me hooked for a couple seasons. Tedium did set in and I dropped the show around season 3, a few episodes from later seasons being the exception. After rewatching season 2, I've realized how much I love about this show.
While my perfect incarnation of TMNT would have less censorship and a stronger bite to the violence and tone, TMNT 2012 is nearly a perfect all-ages TMNT product. I'm anxious to see what I missed by skipping over the second half of the show.
Always warms me to see some love for 2012, I feel the earlier seasons were better but liked it through, some preferred season 5's tales format, I preferred the main story but you can have your own view when you watch it. For what it is I got a lot from it.
Edit: So far as quality, the CGI was a little better later on and they had some good fight scenes.

As for the topic, fun commercial, as noted already this design would better suit a more comedy or cartoon character in a live action movie type thing better, I would prefer something else for a more serious movie pushing the p3-13 line or above.

Last edited by newfan; 03-09-2020 at 09:49 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #56
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Here is a reaction and better look at the commercial from The Old Turtle Den.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #57
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And cut the budget. You don't need to spend 135 million on a TMNT movie. "Into the Shadows" cost that and TMNT 1990 cost 13 million. Even adjusting for inflation that's, what, 20 million? Get a passionate visionary filmmaker, a solid writer that will say "the Mirage Turtles" when you ask them what their favorite TMNT is, give them 50 million,
Films costs way too much today. It's all to do with inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Greg Cipes does charming voice work, and thankfully they do give Mikey moments to shine, but a lot of his dialogue falls flat on me.
Don't knock him. That man is the real life Garth Algar of our times.

Quote:
There's a lot of FW in there, but it's distorted. Bad fan art distorted.
I'd like to know what the similarities are because they were trying to ape the FW designs they didn't a really, really bad job. It looks closer to the 2007 animation.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:52 PM   #58
Leo656
The Franchise

I'd say less "inflation" and more "Keeping up with the Joneses".

As other people have mentioned, most casual observers see the TMNT as a brand similar to DC and Marvel properties. And there's an unfortunate situation where people often mistakenly expect that a film like that has to be a "blockbuster", including a blockbuster budget. As Andrew has said, there's really no reason why a TMNT movie has to cost $200 million or so, other than, the studio feels like they have to market it as a "spectacle" on par with the latest Avengers flick - even though that's the total opposite of what a TMNT movie should be - and in turn they have to spend a fortune because it's simply what's expected. I mean, look at the stuff in the PD films, from the giant Hole In The Sky or whatever in the first movie and "Sky Tetris" with the pieces of the Technodrome in the second movie, and all the other pointless CGI crap they crammed in there just so they could market TMNT like a Marvel flick... and it didn't do any good because the scripts were trash. BUT, the writing was by far the thing the studio was the least concerned with.

In theory, a TMNT movie shouldn't be a gigantic, expensive CGI-fest full of giant super-hero set pieces. BUT, the concern is that nobody will turn out for a "smaller" picture, since box office numbers reinforce the theory that people only buy tickets to go see those gigantic blockbusters, and they wait for everything else to hit streaming. Thus, if they want to actually see a return on investment, they have to make a "big" movie even though that isn't what TMNT is about at all.

The whole "Gotta spend $500 million to make a billion" mindset in modern movie-making needs to die in a fire. It's ruining absolutely everything. BUT, the audience is culpable as well, to a point.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #59
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Too bad people, including those companies like PD, seem convinced that in order to even be a blockbuster it has to be obnoxiously over the top. If it isn't a hyper, flashy thrill ride for the viewers little brain neurons then it isn't blockbustery enough...

Imagine if that kind of budget could be spent on quality and impressive film making and visuals, without being over the top ridiculous.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #60
Leo656
The Franchise

Once they start spending a ton of money, they have to make sure that the film has "international appeal"... which means that everything has to be very broad and dumbed-down so that it translates in every culture and language. Thus, fart jokes, etc.

If you're aiming for a billion-dollar gross, you kinda have no choice but to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Blame Disney/Marvel; they're the ones who made "A billion or Nothing" the status quo and ruined it for everyone else in the game. It used to be that billion-dollar movies were the super-rare exception; now you're a failure if you don't hit it. Some movies shouldn't even be in that conversation, BUT, that's the Business we call "Show", as it were.