The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Rumor Plastic Man movie in the works

Rumor has it that Warner Bros. is developing a Plastic Man movie. Thatís a good idea, one I wrote about at length back in 2015. The Quality Comics character turned DC Comics funnyman could be just what the studio needs to add a little humor to their superhero flicks without forcing the issue or turning a serious character into a jokester. Whatís interesting here is that Plastic Man would presumably be toplining his own film, even as his similar stretchy counterpart Elongated Man has a recurring role on The CWís The Flash.

THR reports that Amanda Idoko (Breaking News In Yuba County) is writing the script for the planned comedic action-adventure flick that will be executive produced by WBís Bob Shaye, with DCís Walter Hamada and Chantal Nong overseeing. No details are available beyond that, including what Idokoís take might be, and with no other produced content from Idoko to draw from, your guess is as good as mine. However, DC has done well for itself in both the TV world and the movie world, but thereís another, lighter side of the DC universe to explore, and Plastic Man is at the center of it.

plastic-man-movieOriginally published by Quality Comics (and later acquired by DC), writer-artist Jack Coleís creation, Plastic Man, first appeared in Police Comics #1. His powers include the ability to stretch his body and form it into nearly any shape he can imagine, incredible resiliency, apparent immortality, superhuman strength and invulnerability (including plastic organs), and a curious immunity to telepathy. For fans of Plastic Man, a.k.a. Patrick ďEelĒ OíBrian, itís not just the powers that make the character so memorable, but rather his quirky, off-beat brand of humor and his slapstick adventures.

The character maintains a cult fandom that includes such comics heavyweights as Grant Morrison, Alex Ross and Frank Miller. Heís appeared in a number of short-run DC series, had his own short-lived 70s/80s animated series (The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show), and frequently appeared on Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Hopefully the movieís story will be pulled from Kyle Bakerís Eisner-award winning run. That particularly self-aware and self-referential story arc, coupled with Plasí own ability to become a walking sight-gag, makes this property a perfect answer to the darker DC adaptations. As for casting, I only wish Bruce Campbell were 30 years younger.

http://collider.com/plastic-man-movi..._medium=social

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Yawn. Never cared about this character.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
The goofier Reed Richards, but without any real depth? Yeah, never cared much for what few issues I've read of him, nor his animated show.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
The goofier Reed Richards, but without any real depth?
It's actually much more like, "Reed Richards is what would happen if someone with NO imagination ended up with Plastic Man's powers." Same gimmick, but what scenarios people have come up with to showcase Plas's powers are infinitely more interesting than anything I've ever seen from Reed. I mostly see him stretch really far and occasionally do the rubber band ball; Plas could literally be posing as the lamp on your dresser right now, and you'd have no idea until it sprouted little tiny legs and jumped out the window making a terrible pun. It's like his powers are limited only by his imagination, and to top it off he's a lunatic.

It's a well-proven Super-Hero Fact that "Mr. Fantastic" is, at best, the THIRD Most Interesting Stretchy Guy, behind Plastic Man and Elongated Man, in that order. And it's already a huge gap between Eel and Ralph, because Ralph's a bit of a stiff. Reed's barely ahead of Stretch Armstrong, and that's mostly because of his smoking hot wife. I know he's a genius, but that just makes him useful, it doesn't make him interesting.

Anyway, I'unno. There's huge potential to do something really creative and different with this, but there's a few problems. Firstly, yet another "All DC movies have to be super goofy now because comic book fans are simple" movie, and that's annoying even if it's 100% the right approach for this. Done right this could be like an all-ages "Deadpool" kinda movie, similar balls-out comedy and wacky shenanigans. That's the entire point of Plastic Man. It's just that ALL of DC's movies have to be "goofy" now so it's annoying.

The bigger problem is, they should have made this movie in 1998 with Jim Carrey. I know why they didn't, but I think it was actually on the table at one point. I hate his work in general but he was born to be Plastic Man, and now it's too late. I can't even imagine who they'd get now. Actually, Ryan Reynolds would be perfect, but he's obviously busy.

God, I haven't seen that stupid cartoon in forever. I really gotta pick that up.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote