The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Star Wars: Episode IX

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3030154

Carrie Fisher WILL be in it. Using "recent footage."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
ToTheNines
[sic]

That's cool. I just hope The Last Jedi doesn't suffer for it.

Kinda laughed my ass off at this part:

Quote:
“You don't mess with this legacy,” he said. “It would be like rewriting the Bible. To me, Star Wars is the holy grail of storytelling and lore and you can't mess with it.”
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

So my guess is they cut a Leia scene out of episode 8 and are just going to move it into episode 9?
Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So my guess is they cut a Leia scene out of episode 8 and are just going to move it into episode 9?
That was what I was thinking they'd do. Or maybe behind the scenes footage where Fisher was talking, and they have found a way to pull it off.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-07-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can't imagine much more than her getting some standing shot with the rest of the cast at the end of the last movie, similar to the scenes at the end of Episode 4 or Episode 6 where the entire main cast was gathered around celebrating. I guess it does confirm Leia won't be killed off in-universe though.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I guess it does confirm Leia won't be killed off in-universe though.
Not necessarily, though my money is on her dying in-between episodes IX and X. They will make some dumb book about it, or something. But they could use just enough of her footage to show her death in IX. I guess 2019 would be far enough removed from Fisher's actual death for it to not be in too bad taste.

i.e., cut to a viewport on a Mon Calamari Cruiser, zoom in on Leia, walking away from the view. Closeup of her with a very sad expression. Insert some tiny bit of dialogue salvaged from a viable cut scene or behind the scenes bit. Then BOOM, a volley of proton torpedoes impact the side of the cruiser, cut to the exterior and we watch the Mon Calamari Cruiser rotating on its axis as it explodes.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Love the title of the article. "Final Star Wars Movie". Yeah, suure.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Is Billie Lourde's character going to get increased screentime for whatever Leia's original role in Episode 9 was? I assume she would want to honor her mothers legacy. They could give her a role similar to Wedge Antilles in the original films. Nothing too big, but a decent but memorable role.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I typically would be against it as we don't kniw how the late actors would feel about being digitally inserted or playing around with footage for sake of plot. Yet Carrie Fisher was beaming at the result of her character's cameo in Rogue One. That being said I can see her in favor of it. That being said I am as well.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
This is my main concern.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Something tells me these films are going to have a lot more problems then whatever Leia's scenes turn out to be.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #13
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Carrie Fisher WILL be in it. Using "recent footage."
This is probably the worst decision they could have made.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Putting fanservice ahead of story is a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
sdp
-

Ironically Carrie Fisher wouldn't have given a damn if they CG'd her or used her in any way in Episode IX, she would've liked having it done.

I'm fine with them doing this and it makes perfect sense, better than killing her off for no reason off screen.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #16
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It shouldn't do. Bob Iger confirmed at the Disney shareholders meeting earlier this year that they weren't altering The Last Jedi because of Carrie Fisher's death. Which is good, it's her final completed role & it's right they leave it as is rather than try & split it over 2 films.

Episode IX however will have been re-written. Even using deleted scenes/footage from TFA & TLJ plus doubles/stand ins, voice actors for additional dialogue, any behind the scenes footage that could be repurposed, IX wasn't written and they couldn't possibly have enough footage to cover whatever her intended role was to be.

We have no way of knowing how big or small her role will be in IX right now, heck we can't even speculate until TLJ has been released. By recent footage they could meaning anything from re-using her final "May the Force be with you" from TFA as a Force Ghost to taking footage of Mark & Carrie at Celebration and CGing them into costume to create a Luke & Leia reunion (hopefully that's not needed and we get a reunion in TLJ).

I'm sure they will come up with something that, whilst not what they had planned, will allow the story to conclude in a satisfying way and, more importantly, honour the memory of someone who is beloved by so many.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #17
sdp
-

Are we getting a teaser for SW Celebration or anytime soon? I believe Rogue one and Ep. VII both had teasers by now. Maybe they're aware of SW Fatigue could happen if they keep trying to hype these movies yearly with so much time in advance?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #18
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Are we getting a teaser for SW Celebration or anytime soon? I believe Rogue one and Ep. VII both had teasers by now. Maybe they're aware of SW Fatigue could happen if they keep trying to hype these movies yearly with so much time in advance?
I'm sure we'll get a teaser for The Last Jedi at Star Wars Celebration, The movie comes out this year, so that's a given.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Putting fanservice ahead of story is a bad idea.
Is it that, though? It seems the opposite. They obviously intended to have Leia in Episode IX. The actress dying between shooting episodes forces them to throw out the whole intended creative playbook. Coming to an agreement on including actual Fisher-as-Leia footage (and not even CGI recreations of Fisher-as-Leia) to have her somewhat, kind of carry out that original creative plan seems like a pretty damn good idea vs. suddenly veering the ship and killing the character off because her actress died, doing who knows what sort of damage to the intended arc of the trilogy.

And I'm pretty sure if Fisher was alive, she wouldn't be like, "No way! Leia dies with me, I don't care what the plan that was laid out for Leia to me in VII-IX when I signed onto these, and even though I was super excited to see CGI younger me at the end of Rogue One!" I don't think she'd want to see another actress in the role, either, if there is some way they can use unused footage of her to round out IX.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-09-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:16 AM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

I get the feeling they're keeping her alive just so they can continue using her character in books/comics that will come out years after this movie ends. No way are they going to limit all the comic and novel writers from using Leia with stories set after Episode 9.