The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #21
youhavemysupport
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The NES CastleVania trilogy isn't that great: OK, I know it's a classic, but the controls are so stiff and the games can be relentlessly brutal and frustrating. Why does Simon Belmont even jump like that, anyway?

Give me Super Castlevania IV ANY DAY.
For 1986, the first game is really impressive, but not fixing the controls in the next two is inexcusable. Apparently the series suffered greatly from the success of TMNT: http://shmuplations.com/castlevania/

IV is nice and all but the best old school CV is this:

Quote:
The Mega Man series isn't that hard: I've seen many people online giving the MM series as a prime example of a hard as hell series. Challenging games, sure, but hardly impossible. I'm hardly the most skilled gamer in the world, but I've been able to beat a handful of Mega Man games in my life.
Have you played 9?
Old 07-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #22
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Hmmm, really? I mean, I can see someone considering it harder than the first ever SMM game, but harder than SMB 3? The only truly hard stage in SMW are the special stages and a couple of stages in the Bowser Land. Tubular, in particular, was a pain for me to beat. Other than that, the game is fair. What's hard is to get every single exit. I've never managed to get all 96 or so exits.
I never went for all the hidden passages either. I just played it as straightforward as possible. I made it about half way through the game I think (the traditional way). After that I started using warps.

It’s hard to explain but I feel like level designs are purposely made a bit more frustrating compared to the original and part 3, which I’ve always loved.

Also, I know this has nothing to do with the actual play but SMW’s overall theme is all the same. I prefer having different worlds and environments like in other Mario games.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 AM   #23
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Super Mario All-Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
That depends, does he mean the REAL Super Mario 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdjYYFOGE3k
Very few Westerners were aware of the Lost Levels until the 1993 relase of Super Mario All-Stars
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Very few Westerners were aware of the Lost Levels until the 1993 relase of Super Mario All-Stars
Since I didn't have All-Stars when I was a kid, I didn't know of them until the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe game for the GBC. And they were called "Luigi mode" or whatever. I didn't know of the whole SMB 2 and Doki Doki Panic thing until 2006 or so.

I think it was for the best, honestly. The original SMB2 is stupidly and unfairly hard in several levels.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:39 PM   #25
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Since I didn't have All-Stars when I was a kid, I didn't know of them until the Super Mario Bros. Deluxe game for the GBC. And they were called "Luigi mode" or whatever. I didn't know of the whole SMB 2 and Doki Doki Panic thing until 2006 or so.

I think it was for the best, honestly. The original SMB2 is stupidly and unfairly hard in several levels.
Hard or not, I still think it was unfair for us westerns to be denied the REAL SMB2. Oddly, I played Doki Doki before SM2 western version. A friend had it or something. Don't ask lol. So when SM2 hit the USA, I was like well this game looks very similar lol. I didn't know why SM2 and Doki were the same game, until the 2000's. I also didn't know that Japan had its own SM2.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:18 AM   #26
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Speaking of the original Castlevania series, I think a lot of love for that comes from two things:

1. People love monsters.
2. People love trauma.

The movie monsters in the franchise are a lot of fun. They're all familiar.

The game itself, just like a ton of other NES games, was prohibitively difficult. I beat the original once. ONCE. And even then, it was on a technicality. It took my 17 hours and used a ROM to reload every time I got a game over.

But there's a sort of bonding over that, I feel. You can see that same 1,000 yard stare when it's mentioned to a fan.

Symphony of the Night is just a fantastic game all around. It perfectly hit what Simon's Quest was going for. Unfortunately, they never stopped with that theme and it grew stale REALLY fast.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Speaking of the original Castlevania series, I think a lot of love for that comes from two things:

1. People love monsters.
2. People love trauma.

The movie monsters in the franchise are a lot of fun. They're all familiar.

The game itself, just like a ton of other NES games, was prohibitively difficult. I beat the original once. ONCE. And even then, it was on a technicality. It took my 17 hours and used a ROM to reload every time I got a game over.

But there's a sort of bonding over that, I feel. You can see that same 1,000 yard stare when it's mentioned to a fan.

Symphony of the Night is just a fantastic game all around. It perfectly hit what Simon's Quest was going for. Unfortunately, they never stopped with that theme and it grew stale REALLY fast.
Well, perhaps I should mention that I did not grow up with the CastleVania series. I didn't get the chance to play it until my early 20s. So I have zero emotional attachment to the series and didn't play them around the time they came out and were possibly quite impressive games for their generation.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:48 AM   #28
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

They were decent platformers, but they were frustratingly difficult. I never beat any of the other NES Castlevanias because I just. . . didn't have the much interest in them. I took a crack at 3 because it's still pretty cool, but as was mentioned Castlevania IV did such a great job on improving the formula. There wasn't much reason to go back except for nostalgia.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #29
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
They were decent platformers, but they were frustratingly difficult. I never beat any of the other NES Castlevanias because I just. . . didn't have the much interest in them. I took a crack at 3 because it's still pretty cool, but as was mentioned Castlevania IV did such a great job on improving the formula. There wasn't much reason to go back except for nostalgia.
Yeah, Super Castlevania IV is a pretty good game. Much better than the NES games. I got zero nostalgia for the NES CV games, and I'm not sure I was even aware of them until I was 15 and saw AVGN review Simon's Quest.

Anyway, Castlevania seems to have a never ending amount games, kinda like Mega Man.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:14 AM   #30
Xav
Foot Elite

The original Contra is a completely fair game and in no way one of the hardest games on the NES.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #31
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
The original Contra is a completely fair game and in no way one of the hardest games on the NES.
Having the 30-life code makes it fairer and more beatable, yes. if it didn't have that, then I'm not sure a lot of people would have beaten it.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #32
youhavemysupport
Thug

The original Contra is a completely overrated game. I prefer its sequel.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #33
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Fortnite is one of the worst games ever made.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #34
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Having the 30-life code makes it fairer and more beatable, yes. if it didn't have that, then I'm not sure a lot of people would have beaten it.
Even with 30 lives, its still pretty hard lol. I never did beat it in 1 player mode. I always needed some buddy.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:07 PM   #35
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think Minecraft is pretty boring and dull, I tried to get into it a couple of times but I just never got into it, though I respect how popular it is.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:01 AM   #36
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

My favorite NES games are Zelda II, Stinger, Goonies II, Wario's Woods and Super Dodge Ball. Also I love picross games.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #37
youhavemysupport
Thug

Zelda II is the best 2D Zelda, Wind Waker overall.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:43 AM   #38
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Even with 30 lives, its still pretty hard lol. I never did beat it in 1 player mode. I always needed some buddy.
I've never beaten it either. But with the 30 life code I can at least get past the first couple of stages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I think Minecraft is pretty boring and dull, I tried to get into it a couple of times but I just never got into it, though I respect how popular it is.
Dunno if it's boring or not, but God does it hurt my eyes.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by youhavemysupport View Post
The original Contra is a completely overrated game. I prefer its sequel.
I've never thrown as many quarters as I have with Super Contra, the arcade version. As a kid I must have blown like $30 in quarters, and still got barely anywhere.

I need to get that on MAME or something and have a redemption.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #40
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by youhavemysupport View Post
Zelda II is the best 2D Zelda, Wind Waker overall.
You dare bring such opinions to my attention?!
YOU MUST DIE!!!
Spoiler:
Nah but seriously, I find the original two Zelda games too cryptic to play, same with the first two Metroids. I'm under the opinion that neither series got good until the Snes games. If I'd had to pick the worst games in both series, and the problems can't be excused on being the clunky baby steps of the franchise, then I'd go with Spirit Tracks and Hunters.

Though I must admit I would have loved Wind Waker, if it wasn't for the fact that you have to travel across an empty ocean for most of it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote