The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 12-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
SF2 was definitely more financially successful and left a bigger legacy than 3rd Strike, but 3rd Strike is the best SF game gameplay wise. The reason why SFIII was a commercial failure was because of two factors:

1) 3D fighters and 3D games oin general overtaking 2D fighters in the mid-late 90s.
2) Lack of iconic characters. Chun-Li wasn't even in the vanilla version of SFIII or Second Impact.

Third Strike is very fluid and offers the best online/competitive experience of any other SF game I've played. Shame it doesn't have Cammy, M. Bison, Sagat, Dhalsim or Guile; but it's a great game nonetheless.

SF2 is definitely iconic and the most influential fighting game of all time, but it feels a bit "stiff" and "cheap" compared to Third Strike gameplay wise.
I'm just curious, but how do you feel SF3 is better than, say, SF5 or SF4?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm just curious, but how do you feel SF3 is better than, say, SF5 or SF4?
Can't comment on SF5 since I haven't played that one yet.

I personally feel that focus attacks and FADCs weren't needed features in a Street Fighter game. FADCs in particular being quite daunting for a lot of players to pull, especially in competitive fighting. But other than that, SF4 is a great game and whether you think its better than TS or not is only a meter or personal opinion. Both are the best in the series, imo.

I just feel that fights flow better in 3rd Strike than any other SF game I've played and I also like the parrying system the game has.

And btw, by SF3 I mean 3rd Strike only. Not the vanilla version or Second Impact.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #23
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Can't comment on SF5 since I haven't played that one yet.

I personally feel that focus attacks and FADCs weren't needed features in a Street Fighter game. FADCs in particular being quite daunting for a lot of players to pull, especially in competitive fighting. But other than that, SF4 is a great game and whether you think its better than TS or not is only a meter or personal opinion. Both are the best in the series, imo.

I just feel that fights flow better in 3rd Strike than any other SF game I've played and I also like the parrying system the game has.

And btw, by SF3 I mean 3rd Strike only. Not the vanilla version or Second Impact.
I remember thinking that the "forward tap counter" was a great addition to the gameplay though - sort of added to how the fights flowed as you described it. That was the last iteration of fighting games that I followed.

My generation was huge into SF2 of course. I remember early on pulling off a dragon punch smoothly was a big deal at arcades. Crazy.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote