The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

How do you discover new good movies to watch that came out decades ago?

So for example, most of the best movies came out decades ago either before most of us were born or when we were just kids. Outside of word of mouth, I usually go to actors rottentomato page and scan through to see what the best reviewed movies are. I've discovered a lot of new movies I've never seen before that I enjoyed.

For example I went to Harrison Ford's page to see some of his other more obscure movies from the 80's, and I discovered some new favorites like, "The Mosquito Coast," "Working Girl," and, "Frantic." Working Girl especially is fantastic, and Sigourney Weaver also stars in it from Aliens. It's amazing how many other great Harrison Ford movies there are that people overlook or never watch simply because they assume he's just "Han Solo or Indiana Jones or Blade Runner" and don't watch his other stuff. Besides big hits like "Air Force One" and, "The Fugitive."

I did the same with Sylvester Stallone, best known for Rocky or Rambo. I discovered, "Nighthawks" from 1981 where he's a buddy cop with Billy Dee Williams, and, "Cop Land" from 1997. I'm going to watch some of his other older movies like F.I.S.T. and so forth.

I'm going to go through Keeanu Reeves, Mel Gibson, Arnold's, Tom Cruise's, etc....all other older movies and discover new favorites.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

...you answered your own question in the OP. I mean, like you said, looking at actors and directors pages on IMDB or wikipedia. You can also use websites like letterboxd and see what movies the people you follow logged recently. Or you can just google for "best movies form the 1950s" or something.

This is why I don't understand how so many people nowadays, where it's easier to find more obscure shows/movies/cartoons/anime/music artists/etc. than ever still need the mainstream media and gigantic ads by roadside to tell them what to watch/read/listen to.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Go by director and you'll (maybe) have an even better time.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

New movies that came out decades ago, eh?
Old 03-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

I meant new to us, as in we never seen them before. Even the big famous actors have so many obscure or minor films that were actually really good that nobody talks about.

I watched 10 obscure Harrison Ford films over the last week or so. Ironically enough he basically plays himself in every movie that isn't Star Wars or Indiana Jones.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
mrmaczaps
Banned

I watch old movies with my parents and even once in a while with my grandparents... its quite entertaining at times to see some of the actors as kids with bit parts that are now stars all on their own or even some that were popular for a short time and now are only bit part actors today. Even more fun is watching movies that only came out 10-15 years ago that I never saw that have todays new young stars in them. Saw one of Anna Kendricks first films a couple weeks ago... before Twilight... lol
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

Sometimes I go through the back catalog of an actor I like, otherwise I seek recommendations through Google, or simply look up content I'd like to see to find out if it exists. Occasionally I'll stumble across one on Netflix that I hadn't been aware of, like Monster Squad. James Rolfe's reviews have put me on to quite a few gems, too. There are a lot of cool blogs out there for this sorta thing, at least when it comes down to specific genres. I never have a hard time finding good Kung-Fu or horror recs thanks to bloggers.

I could use some good suggestions for obscure mafia films. Not stuff everybody knows like Goodfellas & The Godfather.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:21 AM   #8
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I could use some good suggestions for obscure mafia films. Not stuff everybody knows like Goodfellas & The Godfather.
I know a ton. Off the top of my head: State of Grace, Family Enforcer/The Death Collector, A Bronx Tale, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and Wannabes (featuring Raymond Serra from TMNT) are all musts. I'll check off the rest from my collection when I get home.

There's also Men of Respect, which isn't that good but is an adaption of Macbeth. So it's interesting if you like Shakespeare.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:34 AM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Untouchables is another good one...if that's what I'm thinking of. A lot of buddy-cop movies also deal with mafia like enemies, even if they're not really the mafia.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #10
Allio
Foot Elite

I use a thing called Google search
Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

I usually discover them if they're adaptations of books I like then I look at actors, directors and styles.

For instance, I really liked The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo so I watched the 1928 film and began to enjoy the German Expressionist style so I went on to watch The Golem and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Friends find out that I've never seen a movie, freak out and loudly berate me with phrases like "What do you mean you've never seen Planet of the Apes!?" or "Dude, EVERYBODY has seen Airplane!" or "You GOTTA see The Fifth Element!"

Then they force me to sit down and watch it with them, and I usually don't like it.

Screw the Fifth Element.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

LOL, I like the 5th element. Bruce Willis also has a lot of good movies outside of Die Hard.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
LOL, I like the 5th element. Bruce Willis also has a lot of good movies outside of Die Hard.
You want some good recent movies with Bruce Willis, check out:

RED
RED 2
16 Blocks

I love all three of those...
Old 03-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

What about Pulp Fiction and Sin City?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What about Pulp Fiction and Sin City?
Pulp Fiction is damn good... but I honestly forgot Bruce Willis was in that until you brought it up.

Haven't gotten around to seeing Sin City yet...
Old 03-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #17
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

Has anyone noticed the tags for this thread sound like a titles from a children's picture book series about the internet?
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

One such way is the now late Robert Osborne introducing a classic film era movie to see if it interest me as I said in his in memorandum thread. Another is looking at movie ranking list then watching trailers. Such list as IMDB. If it interest me from the trailer I will look on the DVR. If not in the next seven to ten days I will go to Netflix to see if its streaming on able to be ordered by mail.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
Has anyone noticed the tags for this thread sound like a titles from a children's picture book series about the internet?
I'd read those books.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
THGhost
Puppet Master

Pretty much all of the above: look through an actor/director's filmography on IMDB, recommendations from friends/family, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Pulp Fiction is damn good
I was worried you were gonna say you didn't like it.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cubedbeatsadeadhorse, cubedlearnsaboutgoogle, cubedlearnsaboutimdb, thefifthelementrules