Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I haven't seen any David Lowery.
Check out Pete's Dragon.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

I don't know this guy but his comments on TMNT movies convinced me he shouldn't ever be allowed to make one.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Looking at the man's filmography...

No. I don't see it.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #24
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I'm ok with him directing a new TMNT movie, he directed the Pete's Dragon remake for Disney, which I thought was really good, it wasn't like the original, but the remake had a lot of heart to it.
Quote:
He's proven that he can make quality movies with that Pete's Dragon remake, so I could see him do a TMNT movie if given the chance.
Quote:
The Pete's Dragon remake wasn't anything like the original movie, since that was a musical, and this remake was a serious take on it
Quote:
Check out Pete's Dragon.
Guess you really liked that Pete's Dragon huh?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #25
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Guess you really liked that Pete's Dragon huh?
Cause its the only big movie he's done for Disney, he usually does a bunch of Indie movies.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #26
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Guys, I think your being a bit too hard on the guy. Not everyone knows about the mirage comic, or how gritty the Tmnt started out. Half the younger directors out there probably grew up with Fred Wolf, and would need to research the property to get it right. Did the 1990 director know anything about tmnt until he did his research. Don't condemn him for not knowing mirage straight out of the gate, but still being a turtle fan.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #27
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Guys, I think your being a bit too hard on the guy. Not everyone knows about the mirage comic, or how gritty the Tmnt started out. Half the younger directors out there probably grew up with Fred Wolf, and would need to research the property to get it right. Did the 1990 director know anything about tmnt until he did his research. Don't condemn him for not knowing mirage straight out of the gate, but still being a turtle fan.
Very true, a lot of fans that group up in the 80s are more familiar with the 87 cartoon then the comic, I think some would prefer the 87 cartoon over the Mirage comic due to the tone, I do, I read some of the black and white comics, and just didnt enjoy them, until they released the Archie comics which were more of what I'm used to with the 87 cartoon.

So we have these young up and coming directors, who grew up with what they saw on TV more then the comic they are based on.

The director specifically said that he wasn't a fan of the 2014 movie, but liked Out Of The Shadows more cause it was close to the original series, mainly the characters of Bebop and Rocksteady, and Krang were the things he loved about it.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:44 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Half the younger directors out there probably grew up with Fred Wolf, and would need to research the property to get it right.
They need to actually do that, though.

Though I think someone coming to the table first as an avid Fred Wolf TMNT fan and nothing else, and then trying to retroactively figure out "What's this about Mirage TMNT?"... that's going to create a lot of "cross contamination." Probably.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:45 AM   #29
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
The director specifically said that he wasn't a fan of the 2014 movie, but liked Out Of The Shadows more cause it was close to the original series, mainly the characters of Bebop and Rocksteady, and Krang were the things he loved about it.
Where are you getting this from? He doesn't mention Bebop and Rocksteady once in the article.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Where are you getting this from? He doesn't mention Bebop and Rocksteady once in the article.
He might as well have.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #31
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They need to actually do that, though.

Though I think someone coming to the table first as an avid Fred Wolf TMNT fan and nothing else, and then trying to retroactively figure out "What's this about Mirage TMNT?"... that's going to create a lot of "cross contamination." Probably.
All he did was mention he wanted to make a tmnt movie, though. I'm not going to condemn him for liking bay or Fred Wolf when he just said 'this is something I'd like to do'. I'd expect him to do his research if he made a pitch, or was actually in the running for the job. Most of the directors willing to touch something like this are going to come from the Fred Wolf school of thought, and need to learn about the franchise's roots.

You know what I partially hope happens? A director with his own vision comes along, one with the clout to stand up to studio demands, and willing to make a hard-edged tmnt movie, takes a look at both the mirage come and Fred Wolf cartoons, says 'forget this' chucks them both in the trash, and takes the turtles, the basics of their origin, the themes and cycle of vengeance without watering them down, and tells a whole new story in a whole new way, without slavishly copying entire mirage or Fred Wolf.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 07-08-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #32
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
All he did was mention he wanted to make a tmnt movie, though. I'm not going to condemn him for liking bay or Fred Wolf when he just said 'this is something I'd like to do'. I'd expect him to do his research if he made a pitch, or was actually in the running for the job. Most of the directors willing to touch something like this are going to come from the Fred Wolf school of thought, and need to learn about the franchise's roots.

You know what I partially hope happens? A director with his own vision comes along, takes a look at both the mirage come and Fred Wolf cartoons, says 'forget this' chucks them both in the trash, and takes the turtles, the basics of their origin, the themes and cycle of vengeance without watering them down, and tells a whole new story in a whole new way, without slavishly copying entire mirage or Fred Wolf.
Whoever directs a new TMNT movie, should research the IDW comics, they are very good, and are the best of both worlds when it comes to Mirage, Fred Wolf, and Archie comic.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Whoever directs a new TMNT movie, should research the IDW comics, they are very good, and are the best of both worlds when it comes to Mirage, Fred Wolf, and Archie comic.
Hell no. It's just fanfiction jambalaya.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #34
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Hell no. It's just fanfiction jambalaya.
That turn of phrase more accurately describes your Turtles books than IDW's.

And I say that as a fan of the former.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #35
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Not a thing wrong with loving the the original cartoon or having grown up watching it after school every day... a lot of us did, but being the primary oringal source for us doesn't make it the only source for us now. But yes, I agree it should not be the only basis for a film. And if it's pulled from at all, maybe just stick with certain parts of it, like the Turtles goofing off at home. Don't pull from it for the actual story or use it to take away from when it needs to be serious.

"Wonder Woman" has supposedly been a hit, right? How can we talk that director into getting on board? Besides, putting more women in there could be a plus so we can get a real April in this day and age.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
All he did was mention he wanted to make a tmnt movie, though. I'm not going to condemn him for liking bay
I am. He's a filmmaker who digs sh*t movies. It's his trade, he should absolutely be judged for it (and kept far, far away from TMNT).
Old 07-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #37
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
I am. He's a filmmaker who digs sh*t movies. It's his trade, he should absolutely be judged for it (and kept far, far away from TMNT).
What you call sh*t movies, are good movies to other, taste is subjective, and there is no such thing as sh*t movies, that's just a matter of opinion and personal taste.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #38
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
and there is no such thing as sh*t movies
Then you're obviously living in complete ignorance if you honestly believe that's the case.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #39
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
What you call sh*t movies, are good movies to other, taste is subjective, and there is no such thing as sh*t movies, that's just a matter of opinion and personal taste.
People can like what they like. And there is always room for personal interpretation and disagreement.

But some writing, no matter what and no matter who likes it, is not good. Call it trash, call it a guilty pleasure, it is what it is and isn't what it isn't...

For one of the furthest extremes... Uwe Boll.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sounds like that "A Ghost Story" film is getting a lot of good said of it. While still I'd prefer someone with a wider range of knowledge of TMNT do the actual writing... if this guy's ability to take an absurd idea like a guy in a sheet and put the weight the film on deeper elements that go beyond that, I admit that intrigues me a bit. Whoever makes the next someday, I'd like to see that kind of purposeful depth return to TMNT.

Quote:
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/f...f-2017-w490950

It's a testament to the director's vision that A Ghost Story not only gets past the absurdity factor of watching an Academy Award-winning star resemble a toddler's drawing of a spooky specter; it actually succeeds in making this sight one of the most sorrowful, poignant and moving visuals you will see in a movie theater this year, or possibly any year. A largely free-form mediation on mourning that begins with a car accident – the one that shuffles a musician named "C" (Affleck) off this mortal coil and turns his girlfriend "M" (Rooney Mara) into a grief-stricken wreck – and eventually incorporates real-time binge-eating, Blade Runner-esque dystopias and Will Oldham rhapsodizing about the apocalypse into its mix, Lowery's extraordinary work is nothing if not ambitious. But it's the way he uses the ridicule-courting sight of the dead observing a living world go on without them that gives the film its power to break your heart.

Quote:
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/7/7...-casey-affleck

A Ghost Story was one of Sundance’s most buzzed-about films. It earns the hype.
Starring Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck, the movie takes an intimate story of love and loss and turns it into something cosmic.

Quote:
http://www.salon.com/2017/07/08/a-ghost-story-a24/

A24 has ushered in a renaissance of bizarre indies that tap strange, headline-catching ideas for very good purposes
Quote:
https://www.cnet.com/news/a-ghost-st...casey-affleck/

'A Ghost Story' is small on story, big on meaning

Spoiler-free review: While slow and sometimes tedious, "A Ghost Story" hits deep with a poetic, subtle contemplation of what it means to leave a mark.

Though I'm sure it says a lot that this is an indie film, open to such creativity, as TMNT once was. I wish they could have that back, while aided by a bigger budget, but what are the chances.

At the very least... I'm glad film makers with interest in the Turtles and the articles that say so at least offers the topic further discussion on sites like this that people tend to pay some attention to. (Not to mention the encouragement of film makers still seeing them as a worthy franchise to take on no matter if others work with them bombed.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-08-2017 at 08:31 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cferreira, must be thursday, out_of_pills