Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #1001
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Don't play. We all know you'll be falling over yourself defending the **** outta Rise and insisting that it runs for 7 seasons by this time next year.
This. So much this. And then whenever someone finds fault with the show he will either ignore it or act like something's wrong with the person because it is simply impossible for the show to have any kind of faults whatsover.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 08-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #1002
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The problem is it seems like those powers will be a staple of the show. Previously they only existed for one season or arc, but not an entire show. What would be the point of the Turtles doing ninjitsu if they just have magic powers that could solve everything? That's where the problem lies for a show built around it.

This isn't Dragonball Z.
The problem with this is, most ninjas in fiction, if you've followed Japanese martial arts storytelling, is the ninjas usually use tricks that blur the lines between 'tricks' and 'magic'. Having ninjas with 'ninja powers' or 'ninja magic' (jutsus/techniques) is not that much of a stretch. it's debatable wither the use of such powers in a TMNT story is a good or bad thing, but it can go overboard.

Aaaaand there's that stupid thread tag again. I'm not blindly defending a show I haven't seen, I'm discussing the storytelling merits of the martial arts trope of 'ninja powers/jutsus' in TMNT. I am continually impressed with the maturity level of some posters around here.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 08-03-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #1003
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
This. So much this. And then whenever someone finds fault with the show he will either ignore it or act like something's wrong with the person because it is simply impossible for the show to have any kind of faults whatsover.
unfortunately this is not delegated to just one person. it's a constant to anyone who dares to have a negative opinion about something. you can still dislike something and be curious about what happens just to follow the current state of the franchise.

sadly, over reacting too such things to the point of hysteria rather than ignoring them if they bother you is the new norm. i sometimes feel like forums need a 'positive' and 'negative' section just to keep the peace.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #1004
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
unfortunately this is not delegated to just one person. it's a constant to anyone who dares to have a negative opinion about something. you can still dislike something and be curious about what happens just to follow the current state of the franchise.

sadly, over reacting too such things to the point of hysteria rather than ignoring them if they bother you is the new norm. i sometimes feel like forums need a 'positive' and 'negative' section just to keep the peace.

Well, of course! Didn't you know that not liking a certain aspect of the TMNT is a grave sin?
Old 08-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #1005
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
The problem with this is, most ninjas in fiction, if you've followed Japanese martial arts storytelling, is the ninjas usually use tricks that blur the lines between 'tricks' and 'magic'. Having ninjas with 'ninja powers' or 'ninja magic' (jutsus/techniques) is not that much of a stretch. it's debatable wither the use of such powers in a TMNT story is a good or bad thing, but it can go overboard.

Indeed, the list of pop-culture ninjas that don't use magic is probably shorter than the ones that do. I think it best if the new show integrates magic powers as a part of the Turtles' abilities rather than the main gimmick like how it was in the 5th season of the 4Kids toon.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #1006
CyberCubed
Overlord

It all depends on execution. If the magic powers are used constantly, then it isn't Ninja Turtles anymore. Even in the 4kids series the Turtles didn't even master their magic abilities until halfway into it, and since it was only a short 12 episode season, it didn't matter much since it was over after only one short arc. Had they kept those powers into Fast Forward or beyond, then it would have been annoying.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #1007
eskater
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
Of course I'll give it a go but my gut reaction is that it doesn't sound very good to me.

I just want volume 4 of the Mirage comics to be turned into a show for teenagers and adults.
YES TO THE SECOND PARAGRAPH 100x
I'll still give it a go and maybe a more comedy leaning show would be "ok" but my gut feels funny on this one honestly.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:21 AM   #1008
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Turtles have mastered the four magics

MAY CAUSE DROWZINESS
Old 08-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #1009
senpai
Stone Warrior

I was hoping for some blood and guts but if it's anything like TTG then it'll at least have it's charm...
Old 08-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #1010
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by senpai View Post
I was hoping for some blood and guts
???

Why on earth would you expect blood and guts from a Saturday Morning cartoon show to begin with?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #1011
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior

uhhh, because some of us are wanting more than another show thats specifically aimed at little kids....
Old 08-05-2017, 10:38 PM   #1012
CyberCubed
Overlord

What on earth are people expecting? It's still a cartoon.

The Nick show already pushed the boundaries in some episodes in terms of violence, with actual death, impaling, hard-hitting attacks, bruises, broken arms, etc. in various episodes.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:13 PM   #1013
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwolf View Post
uhhh, because some of us are wanting more than another show thats specifically aimed at little kids....
Wanting & expecting are two very different things.

There will never be a TMNT show that isn't aimed at kids. If it wasn't for toy sales, there would be no corporate interest in the property.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Old 08-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #1014
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
What on earth are people expecting? It's still a cartoon.
We expect BETTER of course.

Yes it's a cartoon, but I don't want dumbed down pointless cartoons similar in vein to Teen Titans Go! which has no weight on story whatsoever.

Wouldn't it be better if TMNT has writing quality like Legend of Korra, for example? Stories that are memorable and has meaning like the TMNT Mirage and TMNT IDW comics?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:02 AM   #1015
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wanting & expecting are two very different things.

There will never be a TMNT show that isn't aimed at kids. If it wasn't for toy sales, there would be no corporate interest in the property.
Then again, everyone from the first time TMNT was popular is now an adult, and many of them still like and buy Turtle toys. For presumably these people, there are more expensive toys with better articulation, toys based on the Mirage era, and video games that skew older (although not by too much). With this segment of the market taken into consideration, I'd say a more mature TMNT show is more feasible now than it used to be, although obviously not on Nickelodeon.

I remember back when Nick first bought this property, there was no shortage of jokes about how it would be a caricatured, Spongebob-eque comedy show. In fact, the show we got was something...other than that, in one way or another. When you look at the shorts, though, you see a lot more of Nick's trademark pedigree, and I wouldn't be surprised if the next show is similar.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #1016
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
The people who made the Bay Films are so out of touch with reality it hurts. They treated TMNT as a cheap cash grab, and it backfired on them.

As to the new show, I want to see what the new show is ACTUALLY like, before I complain or praise. Then I'll express my excitement and/or displeasure.
This is pretty much my take on it as well. I fell out of the Nick show around season 3, so I should probably jump back into it again before the new one starts. I'm not expecting anything amazing ... but at the very minimum I hope it's entertaining.

It's a shame Nick has such a hold on the property within the current realm that there would never be a chance for something more older fan demographic to be created - animation wise.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #1017
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
It's still a cartoon.
So is the likes of South Park. Gonna be a long time before anyone is brave enough to do an adult-aimed TMNT. (I don't think it's impossible... many shows, including more mature cartoons, exist without needing to cater to children for toy sales and still tap into merchandise. Although this one has the perks that there are adults who'd still buy toys related to it, so...)
Old 08-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #1018
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't know what the 2018 show will be like, but the current Nick cartoon was written with tons of adult themes, violence, death, and so forth. It only had the usual kid stuff with Mikey's constant banter/stupid moments to remind you you're watching a show aimed at children, but other than that and some goofy moments sprinkled throughout various episodes, the show was designed for people of all ages to enjoy.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #1019
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I don't know what the 2018 show will be like, but the current Nick cartoon was written with tons of adult themes, violence, death, and so forth. It only had the usual kid stuff with Mikey's constant banter/stupid moments to remind you you're watching a show aimed at children, but other than that and some goofy moments sprinkled throughout various episodes, the show was designed for people of all ages to enjoy.
I felt that about the show too.

I'm just curious though, I've seen on here that the current show was always planned to be a 5 year show but I did read a thread on another site that it was cancelled due to complaints from parents about Splinter and Shredders death being too much. Just made me wonder if parents actually have complained, maybe that is why the new show is younger.....or is it just that the current one has simply run it's course and the younger show is just a new take on it.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #1020
ToTheNines
[sic]

If you saw today's episode, you'd know that even if there were complaints about the violence, they were ignored.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters