The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-14-2006, 11:29 PM   #81
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Doctor Who's second season premieres TODAY on BBC One with the episode "New Earth", the episode will mark the first new ongoing season for David Tenant and will feature upcoming apperances from The Cybermen and further hints of the mysterious Torchwood organisation.

Not to mention

Bill Gates lands role in Doctor Who
Microsoft chairman and world's richest man Bill Gates has landed a role in cult BBC sci-fi drama Doctor Who, with a special half-hour episode set to hit UK screens later this year.

According to reports, Gates will play himself in the episode, the plot of which revolves around the abduction of the software tycoon while he is on a fishing trip on Lake Washington.

The Doctor, played by David Tennant, is then charged by the White House with the task of tracking down Gates' abductor – reported to be a war-mongering alien, Lord Daz Fenster, played by former Casualty star Derek Walker
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #82
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Spoiler:
What an amazing episode, Cassandra's return was original and had a very bittersweet conclusion, humanazing thecharacter for the first and only time as it seems. The Resdient Evil-esque plot was even better when the core of the show's themes on intimacy and cleansiness were explored. The poor creaturs had never known human touch, but infected other people whenbever they did until The Doctor uses the facilitie's decontamination sprays to cure the flesh and give them true life for the first time. The rmapage before this however was terrifiying, classic Doctor Who with a great deal of facial scarring and violence commited on the feline captors of the infected flesh.

Cassandra dominated most of Rose's screen time to the point Rose had "little interaction" (she possesed Rose's body), but her exchanges with The Doctor (and eventually inside The Doctor) were terrific, the final scenes where she inhabited her half life man slave already dying and grasping that she could indeed now die after helping to forge life anew for the human race she was the last of was emotional

The Face Of Bo also left us with a cryptic message, teleporting away from The Doctor after promising they will meet for the third and final time, where the "ultimate truth" will be revealed.

Next week: Queen Victoria and Werewolves
Old 04-22-2006, 10:36 PM   #83
ZariusTwo
Overlord

"Tooth and Claw" has aired

Spoiler:
It's generally a very well hidden origin story for Torchwood, the organisation that will spin off into a completly original series. Victoria founds it after the attacks by the Monk's Werewolf creature. She knights The Doctor and Rose in thanks for saving her life and holding back one threat, but exiles them for their attitude around very real danger, treating it like a fun game because they've experianced it so many times. This indicates that Torchwood won't be on The Doctor's side even further, because he was kept in the dark on them during "The Christmas Invasion".

I loved the "Bad Wolf" references...proving that is'nt over either
Old 04-23-2006, 12:28 AM   #84
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I just started watching this. It's not that bad actually. I think I'll start keeping up with it.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #85
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo
According to reports, Gates will play himself in the episode, the plot of which revolves around the abduction of the software tycoon while he is on a fishing trip on Lake Washington.
WTF?! Bill Gates on a fishing trip on Lake Washington? "So yea...Im going fishing on a lake that's like 10 min from my estate..."

Still...The Doctor and Rose will be here!

Anyways my opinions on New Earth and Tooth and Claw:

New Earth: Loved it...altho anthromorph cat nurses is just weird...still New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York looked a bit like Atlantis.

Tooth and Claw: So...the royal family are werewolves? I suppose that makes a bit of sense since according to conspiracy theory sites they worship the moon. But on the other hand they're descended from Vlad Dracul so they'd be Werewolves AND Vamps. Loved the CGI on the werewolf. It was done quite well. I also loved that Rose was trying to get Victoria to say that she was not amused. And she did in the end! But yea... Torchwood was started by Queen Victoria. She seemed to have started several secret orgs. There's a comic series about some female James Bond types called Victoria's Secret Service. They were created to protect the crown.

Oh and that large diamond that saved everyone. Ironically I only recently learned about it. It was a question on a recent ep of Jeopardy!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #86
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!

I'm in loooove. *drool*

I feel kind silly...WAY before seeing Dr #9...I've been saying "Fantastic"...
CE took over as my favorite, Sylv was before.
What I like about #9? He's modern, dresses normally, looks great, great northern accent- reminds me of my first b/f who was from Yorkshire; I love that energy, that huge smile....i think it's fantastic that he's obviously in love with Rose, he shows that...

Well whatever...I think he was great...
Old 04-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #87
ZariusTwo
Overlord

"School Reunion" just aired....

Spoiler:
An excellent episode that followed the old "official tie-in" approach of following up on The Doctor quickly dumping Sarah Jane at the conclusion of "The Hand Of Fear" way back during the Fourth Doctor's tenure.

Sarah Jane was'nt just any other companion, hers was a different kind of departure, she never wanted to leave The Doctor's side, he made the decision to take her off the TARDIS and never bothered returning, this made him more of a crass character at the time, more so than when he became more of a manipulator during his seventh incarnation. The Doctor makes it up for her at the conclusion with a hug and a new K-9 (the third version gets blown up destroying the school)

Anthony Stewart Head was quite chilling as Finch The Headmaster, the offer he gave The Doctor to control the code the students were being forced to crack breifly gave him a pause, before Sarah and Rose snapped him out of it.

Loved the snippy exchanges between Rose and Sarah.

Rose: I've seen ghosts

Sarah Jane: Robots, lots of Robots

Rose: Aliens in Downing Street

Sarah Jane: The Loch Ness Monster

Rose: Really?

"The current meets the ex...welcome to a guy's nightmare"

Hmm...british school dinners are good for your mental stability?

"I have little tolerance for mercy now", great line, and Tenant really has shown a more subtile, playful measure of savagery that Queen Victoria saw through last week and did something about it.

Next Week: "The Girl In The Fireplace", another romance rival for Rose....a spaceship from the future in the 18th century
Old 05-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #88
ZariusTwo
Overlord

"The Girl In The Fireplace" was an incredibly strong episode, right up there with "Tooth and Claw", containing one of the most bittersweet endings so far.

Spoiler:
Premise involves a faulty spaceship, it's occupants are stalking the uncrowned 18th century Queen of France Madame de Pompadour at assorted times via time portals installed in the ship and the Madame's palace. The Doctor enconters the Madame at a young age and saves her from one of her stalkers, a clockwork cyborg race disguised in 19th century masquerade garments. The Doctor keeps making random visits, months and years passing for the Madame in the process, when investigating the time portals back and fourth figuring out why the aliens want her. Mere minutes pass for The Doctor when doing this, as opposed to Pompadour.

Over these visits, The Doctor and the Madame become closer, Pompadour becoming more infa tuated with him, and understanding him very quickly and clearly. Of course, a good old mind meld with The Doctor does that to someone not easily frightened.

It soon transpires that when she becomes thirty-seven, she will become the brain of the powerful alien vessel, also of thirty-seven years in that timeline, and needs a brain of thar age to operate it. The Doctor saves the day, and the aliens cease to function without a way back. The Doctor returns to one of the time portals and promises to take the Madame stargazing, but the saddest part of the episode then kicks into gear.

As The Doctor makes a breif run to assure Rose and Mickey he's fine, he comes back to the 18th century only to find that more years have passed, and the Madame has died of overworked stress, and a heart still waiting for her "lonley Doctor". The Doctor, saddened, departs the vessel, revealed at the conclusion to be the "SS Madame de Pompadour"

A tremendously powerful, and poigant time-crossed love story that never gives the viewer the ending that cannot hope to be acheived despite their yearning it so badly. The circumstances do not allow it, and it displays that adequently

Next week: Alternate worlds, and The Cybermen
Old 05-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #89
ZariusTwo
Overlord

"Rise Of The Cybermen" has aired

Spoiler:
The TARDIS falls through a rapture in the time/space vortex and arrives in an alternate world, Rose's father is still alive, and is very succesful in buisness, as well as still married to her mother, but she becomes dismayed when she first learns she does'nt exist, and that a dog is named after her, and her delight of a happily married couple is let down by the confirmation from her father in conversation that he's moving out, ending the marraige as quiet as they can in society circles.

Mickey is also given the spotlight, with more of his life revealed, and some touching moments where he's reunited with his Grandmother who died when falling off of a staircase he points out she needs to fix, before being sprinted off by a resistance movement opposed to the advancments in human communication by the Cybus corporation. Mickey finds that his counterpart on this Earth is a wanted criminal and the leader of the movemet, only with a different name, "Ricky".

Meanwhile, the Cybus Corporation's diseased and dying leader hopes to create the ultimate lifeform with no emotions, no fear, no humanity, etenal life. His scheme is turned down and he retalliates by abducting homeless people and turning them into Cybermen.

The Doctor and Rose gate crash a party by The Tylors to celebrate her mother's "39th" (really 40th) birhtday party. The Doctor hacks into the Cybus Corporation's files and discovers the strategy in time to warn Rose but little else. The party is soon attacked by Cybermen, who surround The Doctor and his freinds.

Next Week: The battle against the Cybermen continues
Old 05-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #90
Buslady

Seen em all..you can catch the eppies on youtube.com....
Old 07-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #91
ZariusTwo
Overlord

"Army of Ghosts", the first part of the season finale, has aired

Spoiler:
EXTERMINATE!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:43 AM   #93
Buslady

DrWHO Series 3

YAY it's started...sorta. They just air the one eppie now and the series officially starts in a few months.
Watched the Xmas special, it was fantastic. I won't spoil anything, just that it was GREAT.
I've officially ranked the 10th Doctor tied with the 9th. They both rock. David Tennant's really really putting in tons of effort into the role. The emotional stuff really hits. We've never seen the Doctor sooooooo emotional....YAY.Maybe it's the fabled half human side...inherited by his mommie.
And he's MY AGE! First time I can say a Doctor MY age is in now. WOOHOO! He's a youngin at 35...he's 7 mos older than me.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:04 AM   #94
Roseangelo
Emperor

I saw the new ep, too! Loved it!! And I'm really anxious for the proper start of Series 3.

I'm a newbie to Who as Eccleston was my first Doctor. I'll probably always have a soft spot for Eccleston, but I LOVE David Tennant's Doctor soooo much. I just hope I like Martha, the new companion...
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:40 AM   #95
Buslady

Yeah, Martha won't ever be able to replace Rose. She was so right for him. It was nice to see him fall in love with someone for once, and she stuck with him through his regeneration, that's a real lady for him. She loved him no matter how strange or wacky he got.

David's got that look when he's missing Rose and you just wanna cuddle him up HAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #96
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buslady View Post
Yeah, Martha won't ever be able to replace Rose. She was so right for him. It was nice to see him fall in love with someone for once, and she stuck with him through his regeneration, that's a real lady for him. She loved him no matter how strange or wacky he got.!!
Oh come on, 'shipper nonsense aside, Rose did nothing in the second season, in fact Mickey got all the development and Tennant did'nt seem to bother much with her until the final few episodes. Rose was the Ninth Doctor's companion in almost every sense of the word, redeeming the brooding Time Lord and allowing him to find purpose, but afterwards the writers just ignored her until it was time to get rid of her.

Granted, when they did dispose of her, they did it wonderfully, and Tennant genually put on a gripping performance that tore up audiences in the finale, but objectivly, the second season almost completly ignored her.

And being an old school fan, I've seen much better companions, plus Rose is'nt the only one to witness and stay with The Doctor following a regeneration or even when he suffered going through it (Sarah Jane Smith and god knows who else come to mind), plus he's fallen in love before (Sarah Jane Smith and Grace Holloway from the 1996 TV Movie)

I do agree however that The Runaway Bride was awesome, Rose was only mentioned three times, and seen once in a very quick flashback, one thing that was revealed was that without a companion, The Doctor is unrestrained, Donna (the Bride) said it better than I can, "You need someone to stop you"
Old 12-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #97
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ha.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6214425.stm

Look, you tried this with Eccelston BBC, you're not fooling anyone...
Old 01-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #98
Buslady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Oh come on, 'shipper nonsense aside, Rose did nothing in the second season, in fact Mickey got all the development and Tennant did'nt seem to bother much with her until the final few episodes. Rose was the Ninth Doctor's companion in almost every sense of the word, redeeming the brooding Time Lord and allowing him to find purpose, but afterwards the writers just ignored her until it was time to get rid of her.

Granted, when they did dispose of her, they did it wonderfully, and Tennant genually put on a gripping performance that tore up audiences in the finale, but objectivly, the second season almost completly ignored her.

And being an old school fan, I've seen much better companions, plus Rose is'nt the only one to witness and stay with The Doctor following a regeneration or even when he suffered going through it (Sarah Jane Smith and god knows who else come to mind), plus he's fallen in love before (Sarah Jane Smith and Grace Holloway from the 1996 TV Movie)

I do agree however that The Runaway Bride was awesome, Rose was only mentioned three times, and seen once in a very quick flashback, one thing that was revealed was that without a companion, The Doctor is unrestrained, Donna (the Bride) said it better than I can, "You need someone to stop you"
I'm no newbie, I been a fan since 1985ish. There's no other companion who actually said at their time with him, that they loved him. Sarah, imo, was the other who possibly had something for him. Romana probably had a fling with him, but nothing serious.
He wasn't in love with Grace. Yes he kissed her but it wasn't love, it was more of joy that his memories returned.I certainly do not recall him kidding Sarah.
I feel Rose fit with both 9th and 10th just fine. But only the 9th kissed her, that was MORE than just pulling votex energy from her. Who knows what else went on behind the TARDIS doors.
I'm not a "shipper".
Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #99
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Doctor and Sarah's relationship was subtle, not direct. Watch the ending of "The Hand Of Fear", seriously, he could'nt even look at her when they landed, knowing he was ditching the one person who had willingly followed him everywhere and would continue to do so for the rest of her life. Hell the pilot of "Sarah Jane Adventures" confirms she loved him.

Quote:
I'm not a "shipper".
Stop acting like one then. As there the only ones who would'nt take into account the fact Rose was useless this season and her story had been told in the Eccelston season
Old 01-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #100
Buslady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The Doctor and Sarah's relationship was subtle, not direct. Watch the ending of "The Hand Of Fear", seriously, he could'nt even look at her when they landed, knowing he was ditching the one person who had willingly followed him everywhere and would continue to do so for the rest of her life. Hell the pilot of "Sarah Jane Adventures" confirms she loved him.

Stop acting like one then. As there the only ones who would'nt take into account the fact Rose was useless this season and her story had been told in the Eccelston season
There are other fans on Outpost Gallifrey who feel the same or have similar feelings about Rose as I do-they are NOT shippers; these are hard core fans. Some also feel as you do. Some absolutely hate Rose, some love her character. I have a friend who is a DrWho novelist, I believe he liked Rose, don't know what he thought of their relationship though.
Just because that is what YOU believe does not make it what everybody says. Rose was not useless, no companion is ever useless. They all have their purpose.
Sarah Jane may have loved him, but did he love her?
The Doctor reciprocated Rose's flirting; did he do so with Sarah? I don't think so. I never saw it.
Romana? There was some flirting going on. Who knows what those two did.

Tags
doctor cuck, doctor karen, progress, rtd2, toxic masculinity