The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #21
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
So can anyone have an opinion without Cubed coming behind them to inform them why their "opinion" is wrong?
Apparently not.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
So can anyone have an opinion without Cubed coming behind them to inform them why their "opinion" is wrong?
When did I say that? I was giving my own opinion on those characters, I didn't even reply to GoldMutant.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #23
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Best Portrayal for a Villain: Rat King

I will agree with another user on here and say I really liked the Rat King. He's properly creepy and disturbing, and unlike most other baddies doesn't get nerfed or turned into a pathetic joke of their former selves. He also was somebody that could get into Splinter's mind in the worst way to control him as an animal, pitting his human self against his mutant self, and trying to use that vulnerability to break him.

Worst Portrayal of a Villain: Rahzar

He started off strong, and looked very promising. Ostensibly an 'upgrade,' he had the ultra creepy skeletal look and intimidating werewolf appearance, with a sharp calculating mind and a sadistic streak a mile wide. Unfortunately this does not last, he gets nerfed soon after and turned into a generic monster henchman, then Tigerclaw shows up. His earlier evilness and sadistic nature shows up only once in a great while, but it often only lasts that one episode, and then we get nerfed ineffectual Rahzar again.

Best Portrayal if a Hero: Leo. For once, he's fun. Nerdy, grows into his leader role, and is not perfect.

Worst Portrayal of a Hero: April O'Neil

She was interesting... As a ordinary teenager. Even having slight powers of empathy and intuition didn't hurt, it gave her sonething the Turtles didn't have but didn't put her over them. But she just kept getting powers to the the point of becoming a deus ex machina for the plot, even bordering Mary Sue territory at times with how she was described by some of the characters "Her mind is the center of the universe.'

Honorable Mention, Villain: Baxter Stockman

He was interesting as a human, and initially as a fly, but then he devolved into a skulking sycophant to Shredder that ended up loving his mutation (even as it is meant to be a gross, humiliating punishment, and that it socially isolates him and strips him of his ability to live a normal life.)

Honorable Mention, Worst Portrayal, Hero: Casey Jones

Mainly for his excessive perving and his one line that I heard that he says after the Earth is destroyed 'That's awesome!' A normal person wouldn't say that, they'd still be in utter shock and disbelief. This one line alone makes him look... sociopathic.

Last edited by Metalwolf; 10-21-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #24
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisa View Post
Greg Cipes did do excellent voicing him.
His "woooooooh" kiai never fails to make me laugh.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

I also have to say I loved Nick's version of Fugitoid. While I think IDW's one has the most depth since he was a Neutrino and watched his family killed by Krang in that version, I think Nick's is the second best. He had a funny personality and a lot of humor in this, and I loved that huge death cannon disintegrater weapon he turned into in various episodes and he flat out killed several Triceratons with it.

And on top of that, in the finale Fugitoid flat out commits mass genocide and rams his ship and the black whole generator into the ENTIRE Triceraton mothership which had all their bases connected to it, and kills MILLIONS of Triceratons. Literally the entire Triceraton race, even presumedly Zeno who helped them in the Tri-arena, were all wiped out in that explosion.

Fugitoid is a mass murderer and genocidal maniac in this version, I loved it.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #26
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

Best Turtle - It's really hard because I love them all... Overall I'd say my favorite is probably Raph, with Leo and Donnie following in a close second. I still love Mikey though... so... this in an unanswerable question...

Best Secondary Character - Splinter, no doubt. Don't even need to think about it.

Worst Secondary Character - I'm gonna probably say Karai. She had her moments in the beginning of the series, I actually was fond of her the 1st season, but she became a **** show once she was mutated. After that she just became a big hot mess that I really just couldn't stand by the end of the series. I know Casey gets a lot of hate, but I actually didn't mind this incarnation of him as a punk kid. Even though he can get irritating it didn't bother me nearly as much as Karai's hot and cold "cliché broken female" brain.

Honorable mention - Ice Cream Kitty... because... Ice Cream Kitty <3 Fugitoid was awesome too. He really made the entire space arc enjoyable. I know Mona gets a lot of hate too, but I liked her has a character say less for the excessive make out scenes with Raph. I've never liked Rat King as a villain, but his portrayal in the 2012 series was awesome. Probably the creepiest villain the turtles and Splinter faced.

Dishonorable mention - I'm sorry but Shredder slowly crept the same direction as Karai towards the end. I enjoyed normal vengeful Shredder, once he was mutated he also turned nuts to the point it was really unnecessary. Dr. Rockwell was a mutanimal that just always rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was the buldging eyes, but although I enjoyed his witty banter with Donnie on occasion, that was all I enjoyed. April I hated in the beginning. If the writers were going for that ungrateful clam with a touch of unpredictable mood swing who bounces affection off guys and plays games to get what she wants then they aced it. Granted, from the space arc and going forward she did MUCH improve and I actually grew to like her as a character by the end of the series, but I just thought she was kind of a jerk to the turtles sometimes all things considered.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3

Last edited by drag0nfeathers; 10-22-2017 at 09:21 AM.
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Karai was under mind control in the later half of Season 3, we didn't see her true self again till Season 4 when they got back from space.

Season 3 was a low-point for Karai, since she was an almost mindless snake in the first half, then under control of the brain worms for two episodes in the second half. However once Season 4 starts the first episode they get back to Earth after space she's "normal" again and knows Splinter's her father and is a good guy for the rest of the series.

Also Shinigami is introduced so Karai finally has a friend to talk to and becomes her own person again. I loved Karai in Seasons 4 and 5, while in Seasons 1-2 she was a great villain. Season 3 Karai with the snake and brain worms...yeah...that was a complete misfire.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #28
newfan
Mad Scientist

What? Hate Karai? I get why some wouldn't like the hot/cold/vengeful side, we don't all like the same characters... the way I see that part of her ....

.... she was raised by Shredder first off and then she went through so much after everything she found out and what he put her through afterwards, I can see why she would go after him, even though it was recklessly. Come season 5 she seemed more focused and gained control of the foot, I see her as a survivor..... until the part where she was probably blown up in the finale.

EDIT: Cubed posted while I was responding, yes season 3 wasn't the best story for Karai, very dragged out.

I didn't like that they made Shredder into Super Shredder and wish they'd kept him as he was, however, I think the writers did that because they were going to have the turtles finally kill him, maybe they thought it was more acceptable to do when Shredder had become a monster, losing any trace of humanity.

Last edited by newfan; 10-22-2017 at 04:04 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, the whole Karai/Miwa being Splinter's daughter but raised by Shredder was one of the best new concepts this show came up with. Especially since Shredder really did love Karai, you can tell this in the Season 2 and 3 eps when she's mutated and how sad he is and wants her back by his side.

Granted if you raise a kid for 16 years, of course you're going to love them even if biologically they're not your child.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #30
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, the whole Karai/Miwa being Splinter's daughter but raised by Shredder was one of the best new concepts this show came up with. Especially since Shredder really did love Karai, you can tell this in the Season 2 and 3 eps when she's mutated and how sad he is and wants her back by his side.

Granted if you raise a kid for 16 years, of course you're going to love them even if biologically they're not your child.
I actually liked that about Shredders story, that even as cold as he is, he did love her, in his twisted way, until the final mutation where he no-longer did.

Last edited by newfan; 10-22-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #31
Tarris Vaal
Stone Warrior

Thats what made him a much more compelling character. He was dangerous and competent, but all his decisions made sense. He was deluded and consumed with jealousy and anger, but he did genuinely care for his 'daughter'.

I really hope that this concept with Shredder is revisited in future. I think its one of Nicks strongest plus points next to the portrayals of the turtles themselves (save possibly Mikey)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-sedisverse
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #32
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarris Vaal View Post
Thats what made him a much more compelling character. He was dangerous and competent, but all his decisions made sense. He was deluded and consumed with jealousy and anger, but he did genuinely care for his 'daughter'.
Wasting all your resources and teaming up with an alien bent on the genocide of the human race doesn't really make much sense to me.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

You mean the Kraang? Back in Season 2 when the invasion was going on Tiger Claw asked him why he would let the Kraang take over, and Shredder said after his revenge on Splinter was complete he would betray the Kraang and defeat them.

Shredder obviously wasn't going to let the Kraang take over the Earth if the Turtles/Splinter were gone.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #34
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
You mean the Kraang? Back in Season 2 when the invasion was going on Tiger Claw asked him why he would let the Kraang take over, and Shredder said after his revenge on Splinter was complete he would betray the Kraang and defeat them.

Shredder obviously wasn't going to let the Kraang take over the Earth if the Turtles/Splinter were gone.
So Shredder was going to betray the Kraang after they succeeded in conquering the world/taking over new york.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
So Shredder was going to betray the Kraang after they succeeded in conquering the world/taking over new york.
That's what he said, yes. I mean, what did you think he would do? Just sit there in his thrown room as all of humans were turned into Kraang drones?

I mean it's pretty obvious the Kraang would have eventually gone after Shredder too, they planned to turn Earth into another Dimension X.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #36
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
That's what he said, yes. I mean, what did you think he would do? Just sit there in his thrown room as all of humans were turned into Kraang drones?
Okay let me be more clear, Shredder thought it was a good idea to betray an alien species that has already conquered his earth/base of operation.
Spoiler:
Which isn't a good idea
Old 10-23-2017, 06:13 AM   #37
newfan
Mad Scientist

I don't mean to drag out conversations so apologies guys, but just in relation to the above discussion.....

I guess he was confident he could stop the Kraang (once he got what he wanted from them) the turtles did, I don't know if Shredder would managed to as we didn't see him try.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #38
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Nickelodeon's portrayal of April is probably the worst depiction of the character ever.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #39
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Nickelodeon's portrayal of April is probably the worst depiction of the character ever.
Eh, it's sort of a toss up between her and Megan O'Neil.

Unless we count the version from Adventures #∞. *shudders*
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Why? Personality wise she had some of the best character of an April we've seen. Her psychic powers don't even get fully formed till late Season 4, so I have no idea where people get the idea she was constantly using them from. It really only happened at the tail-end of the show.