The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

View Poll Results: Does this bother you?
Yes 11 64.71%
No 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Gosh it's almost like...they're trying to do the two-fold cash in/strike while the iron is hot, while also being welcoming to new folks who've probably never read a comic book before.

HOW DARE THEY!
I mean, it's almost like they're a dying medium trying to resurrect itself with a new influx of fans.
You accomplish that with tie-ins, specials, or minis (kind of like DC did way back... B&R dropped, they put out specials for Mr. Freeze, Ivy, and Bane... no main books were affected).

What you don't do is drop a bomb/hijack whatever the current arc/the writer is doing on the main book and supplant it with whatever the latest movie is doing. All that's going to do is piss off your base and set a horrible precedent for any time a new movie drops. Why even bother reading the comics at all, at that point?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Yeah, I'd rather see a tie-in miniseries to go with each movie than messing with the actual series.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #23
Btown
Hench Mutant

I'm a DC fan over marvel so from my standpoint yes. In Flash they changed up Barry's story(to an extent) and suit near the end of N52 even saying putting out in a statement that it was to tie in/reflect the TV show.

Comics should be influencing the shows/movies in my opinion, not the other way around.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #24
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You accomplish that with tie-ins, specials, or minis (kind of like DC did way back... B&R dropped, they put out specials for Mr. Freeze, Ivy, and Bane... no main books were affected).

What you don't do is drop a bomb/hijack whatever the current arc/the writer is doing on the main book and supplant it with whatever the latest movie is doing. All that's going to do is piss off your base and set a horrible precedent for any time a new movie drops. Why even bother reading the comics at all, at that point?
those were good times!

now most comics that come out read more like pandering fan-fiction to whatever superhero movie is the flavor of the month.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #25
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Those tie-ins don't always have to be comics, either.

Even as a kid, I remember thinking that the Mr. Freeze-themed Batman: TAS spin-off SubZero was better than Batman and Robin. If I remember correctly, they delayed its release to '98 because B&R did so badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Oh Andrew, you completely forgot about how the X-Men suddenly started wearing black leather outfits when the first movie came out. Then during that Superior Spider-Man series (which I really enjoyed, the haters were idiots for thinking it would be permanent), Peter Parker returned just in time for Amazing Spider-Man 2 to hit theaters.

That's why all the Hydra haters should shut the hell up and enjoy the ride. The Cap will be back in his red, white and blue just in time for the next movie.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #27
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Oh Andrew, you completely forgot about how the X-Men suddenly started wearing black leather outfits when the first movie came out. Then during that Superior Spider-Man series (which I really enjoyed, the haters were idiots for thinking it would be permanent), Peter Parker returned just in time for Amazing Spider-Man 2 to hit theaters.
According to Slott, Superior was supposed to have lasted much longer, but editorial ordered Peter brought back early to tie into the movie.

Superior was garbage btw. Even a recent article on CBR seemed to think so.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #28
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
According to Slott, Superior was supposed to have lasted much longer, but editorial ordered Peter brought back early to tie into the movie.

Superior was garbage btw. Even a recent article on CBR seemed to think so.
They're idiots. It was a cool way of seeing Doc Ock relive his youth. Him going back to school to earn a doctorate since Pete never had one was clever. I just hate seeing all that character development go to hell with him coming back evil again.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:36 AM   #29
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
this Comics imitating the the Movies trend might have been what finally ended Superman shedding that awful New 52 collar, that Jim Lee mercilessly slapped on him.

^just kidding about that.

but seriously they almost did end Superman's New 52 look back in 2012 for a more M.O.S. look.

wonder why they didn't follow through?

Spoiler:
Old 06-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

SMDH....

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquam...league-a151786
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #31
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Nice. I was never a fan of Aquaman's blonde Ken doll Superfriends looking ass
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:18 PM   #32
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Didn't we have a bearded dudebro Aquaman in the '90s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #33
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Didn't we have a bearded dudebro Aquaman in the '90s?
Yeah, sometime during the EXTREME period of comics.

The Jason Momoa look is a pretty decent balance in my opinion, but to each their own
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #34
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The Brave and the Bold cartoon also had a bearded Aquaman.

And holy salmon does Sejic draw a nice Aquaman.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote