The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-20-2019, 03:36 AM   #7561
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Doberman gang 4/6 , cute heist movie

I want a doberman , i would call him Batman or Rascal
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #7562
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Frozen II in IMAX.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #7563
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Frozen II in IMAX.
"I was frozen to-day !"
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #7564
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post
"I was frozen to-day !"
Nobody else is gonna get it but I popped for that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #7565
Sumac
Banned

Spider Man: Far from Home.
So far the most uneven movie from last MCUs, I've seen.
Plot doesn't make much sense and sometimes outright stupid, Peter's class mates are annoying and make me think as if SMFFH is some sort of parody. Misterio's power are underutilized. MJ doesn't really feel like she is the same character from the first movie.
The are some good parts, but all in all I feel like its probably my least favorite movie from the MCU, next to Hulk.

With that I've finished all MCU movies and might say, regardless of quality of some separate pictures, it is an amazing project. And I hope future will net even more good movies from this series.
Of course, they are not some sort of groundbreaking "Citizen Kane" stuff, but they are serviceable fun, not worse than any other generic summer blockbusters from the last few years.

Jurassic World 2.
If JW1 felt like a retread of JP1, this movie feels like a retread of JP: Lost World. Just instead of 90% on the island, 10% in the city, this movie is like 40% on the island, 60% in the city.
All in all it is fun movie, which feels more like an adaption of some countless comic books based on Jurassic Park. In particular the one where some drug kingpin steals several Raptors to use them as personal army or something. On one hand, this movie thematically feels close to the idea of the first movie, on the other - it is so on the nose with its message it makes me feel a bit odd. Dinosaurs a bit less humanized, than in JW1, so that's a plus.
All in all, its a good movie, but nothing incredible.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #7566
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Netflix's animated movie "Klaus" was quite good.

My only criticism of it is literally what the character says right at the end of it because there is zero basis or explanation for how or why that (what is said) is.
Spoiler:

Did Klaus become immortal after he disappeared and presumably had died? Are we just left to assume that happened to a mortal man for some reason?

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-11-2019 at 04:15 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #7567
Leo656
The Franchise

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. I've seen and enjoyed it a few times before but I always wanted to watch it immediately after finishing the game, and I finally had the chance.

It's very divisive but I like it a whole lot.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #7568
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I love the Polar Express (and playing on AMC several times lately), but isn't it a little messed up?

Poor Billy, the kid from the poor side of the tracks has, presumably, never actually had a Christmas. And he's reluctant to even participate with the rest of the kids on the train because "Christmas just doesn't work out for" him and doesn't believe it could ever be any different.

Santa has apparently forgotten about this kid and has overlooked him all those years of his young life. Santa even later rubs it in by checking with the kid and getting confirmation that yes, his name is Billy

But. The train showed up for Billy. As it did for all of those kids on the cusp of no longer believing. Which suggests that Santa DID know of Billy after all. So wtf Santa... Way to just brush a kid off and ignore him in a world where you actually do exist. So wrong.

As a bonus point, lets throw in that Santa also tells Billy that "There's no greater gift than friendship," with a couple of the kids from the train. Kids who he will probably never see again. So much for the gift of friendship.

Though personally I'd love to see a Polar Express 2 that revisits the three kids (Hero Boy, Hero Girl, and Billy) as adults, who have recently cross paths and reconnected. Hero Boy of course still being able to hear the bell from Santa's sleigh, while the other two, like most adults, no longer can, and this leads to a story of rediscovering the magic.

12/14 -- While on the subject of Christmas movies, Netflix's "Elliot the Littlest Reindeer" (who is actually a miniature horse) is pretty cute and watchable.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-14-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:24 PM   #7569
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I went to see Greta Grewig's new version of Little Women today. I think it is one of the best films of the year. The acting in it was absolutely superb.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #7570
Sumac
Banned

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and Fallout.
I can't say I am big fan of MI series, I like it, but not too much. Even than I must admit, that throughout the years MI movies were always ranging from good to very good and two new sequels I've watched recently were not an exception.

Rogue Nation reminded me about very first MI movie, with its focus on espionage and conflict with the traitors. I felt like it had some problems with pacing, but nothing too bad.

Fallout, however, was a pleasant surprise. It was a direct continuation of the Rogue Nation, it had amazing action scenes and, surprisingly, it was a nice exploration of Ethan Hunt as a character. It is weird that this comes up only in a sixth movie in the franchise, but it was done very nicely. Also, soundtrack is amazing. And I felt, that Fallout was a good contender for being called a "serious Bond movie done right". Also, I loved how many sides were involved in the conflict, it is not something you see everyday in modern movies.

What I liked the most about those movies is a new character Ilsa Faust. Usually it is hard to take female super agents in movies seriously - they are either look like top models, who never lifted anything heavier than a lipstick in their lives or they are just trying so hard to channel "tough attitude", it becomes really cringe to look at. Surprisingly, Ilsa Faust somehow managed to avoid all those pitfalls - on the screen she looks very confident and competent without annoying "tough attitude / grrrrl power". She is naturally organically cool in the movie and this looks refreshing, compared to many other modern blockbusters.

Star Trek Beyond.
I am not big fan of a Star Trek, so I don't have a lot of attachment to its universe and characters and I must say, I genuinely liked STB. I've recently rewatched ST'09 and found out it being not very good and I barely remember ST Into Darkness. But STB was good in my opinion. It was fun, had a lot of charm, characters were entertaining and charismatic. And the action scenes were cool, SABOTAGE scene in particular.

What was not particularly good is that the story was ridden with cliches and extremely generic and predictable. It felt, like a generic episode adapted to the big screen.
But still I had fun watching this movie, so this what matters the most for me.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #7571
Sumac
Banned

Spectre.
Latest James Bond movie and probably one of the my least favorite ones in the series. James Bond movies run on the cliches and tropes, but Spectre is so aggrisively cliche and so blandly tropey that it is really hard to enjoy it. Everything is painfully predictable.

Another problem is that it constantly creates tension with a little payoff. The movie constantly pretends that there is something BIG and COOL about to happen and then it fizzles out.

The big revelation was not bad as I thought it would be, and it is very par for the course for the Bond movies.

Pacific Rim.
One of the very few movies, which made regret that I haven't seen it on the big screen. Simple (and rather nonsensical story, to be honest), encrusted by one of the best mother****ing action between big mother****ing robots and big mother****ing monsters I've ever seen.

Characters are not bad either and fairly lively, but monsters and robots are the real meat of this movie and it's a shame it was not a big hit.

Ghost in the Shell.
As rare as it may be I've watched original anime and Stand Alone Complex series before this movie, so I was familiar with the source material.

Movie itself was somewhat slow. There was not enough action to consider it a good action movie, and there were too little drama to consider it a drama. But as a big fan of cyberpunk genre I found visuals are breathtaking and for that alone I can completely overlook slowpacedness of the movie.

Pacific Rim 2.
Couldn't watch it for more than 30 minutes.
It has no even a tiny shade of style of the original movie and looks like a cheap Transformers knock-off. Also I can't stomach teenage and kids actors, especially when they play some super wunderkind kind of children.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #7572
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Horse Girl (on Netflix). Bleh.

I liked it fine enough until it ended and became one of those movies that just leaves it far too open ended and resolves nothing. I get, and often like, some films leaving things open to speculation and interpretation and make you think, but I like it better when you can kind of figure out what they probably meant while not having been told. This one though... After wondering the whole time what's going on with this woman and what her real diagnosis is, and expecting to find out, it's annoying for it to never actually answer any of it and then end with a "wtf" moment.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #7573
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I took my 9 year old son to watch Sonic and we both had a blast watching it. I was honestly surprised by how much I liked it but figured he would really like it.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #7574
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Freaks (on Netflix). Not bad, but I feel like there is a lot of aspects about this that needed more attention and background and the concept would have benefited from being a short series, not a movie.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #7575
IMJ
Emperor

Finally saw Ford vs Ferrari. What a terrific movie... seriously great flick.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #7576
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I saw that pierce brosnan / jackie chan film, super convoluted, wish it had more action from both, especially brosnan. Wish it wasn't so dramatic either but overall could've been a boring mess like many 2010s jackie chan movies.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #7577
IMJ
Emperor

Just finished watching Bloodshot - the launch of the Valiant U on film and I think this can be kept pretty short.

It's not a bad movie at all. But there was no way this flick, even in a good movie-going economy, was going to launch a Universe on film. It lacks iconic archetypes completely. It's a decent Vin Diesel flick, but it wasn't much more than Vin Diesel in a nike jump suit or a tank top as a guy that occasionally reassembles himself amidst cybernetically enhanced "bad guys", none of which are iconic or superbly visual on screen.

If you didn't tell someone this was a comic book flick, they probably would just think it's your typical sci-fi movie in Diesel's catalog, no different than something like Babylon A.D.

Vin Diesel wears a workout jump suit and fights cyborg-guy and "eyeball suit guy" with obligatory Michael Bay-style hot chick who probably soaks up instagram followers on the side. I'm glad I saw it. I won't need to watch it again, which is unfortunate. It was fine.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #7578
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. This was just- I just, I dunno. WTF did I even watch here??!! Plot made NO sense, dialog was all over the place and cheesy/dumb/at times nonsensical, the acting was deadpan serious yet still awful, and the movie took turns trying to be serious and trying to be idiotic on purpose, but never seemed to figure out a balance, and the effects were just- um, extremely amateurish. The movie never even makes any attempt to explain how they got that way, it just runs with the idea that it had already started and starts right in what would be the middle of most such "horror" movies.

And yet- despite all this, I found myself laughing at this one, often for the wrong reason, or scratching my head in disbelief that anyone even MADE this tripe, but I kind of had fun doing it. I think my brain may have melted a little from it, but it was at least entertaining for the gaffes and "WTF" moments if nothing else!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:39 AM   #7579
newfan
Mad Scientist

A few recently can't remember them all.

Hero, recommended by another member here, I'd watched a few weeks back and forgotten to talk about it here, I found it enjoyable, aged well as the user pointed out and I liked seeing how the chain of events unfolded throughout. Good for those who would like scenes similar to those in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Scary stories to tell in the dark. Just come up on Prime, pretty much what I expected, regular horror movie not bad if you are in the mood to watch one.

Child's Play (new) Just came up on Netflix, I hadn't cared a lot to watch this and I am not massively into these movies anyway. I was surprised that I liked it more than I thought I would though (expectations we go in with I guess), interesting to see a different spin here even if not preferred. Doll wasn't bad for the 'Ugly killer doll' either but I still prefer the original design.

Edit: Also watched a couple of animated movies on Netflix, I found Spirited Away enjoyable.

Last edited by newfan; 04-18-2020 at 05:17 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:28 AM   #7580
Icebot
Foot Elite

Just saw A Night At The Roxbury.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies