The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #381
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Do those even exist anymore? I mean outside of, like, parts of Utah or something?
Honestly i don't know.

As for OT Shredder, it doesn't matter if he referenced Japan or whatever. He had no accent and spoke with enough perfect Anerican English to do comedy stand up.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #382
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I do wonder how far they're gonna go with the stereotypes. I hope they don't make April some kind of hoodlum or whatever. Just make her a black scientist/news reporter/student without any negative connotations. This is Nick's chance to showcase a positive black character.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 11-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #383
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I do wonder how far they're gonna go with the stereotypes. I hope they don't make April some kind of hoodlum or whatever. Just make her a black scientist/news reporter/student without any negative connotations. This is Nick's chance to showcase a positive black character.
Why would nick make April a hoodlum, its not like the network has a history of insensitive depictions of black people hell going by previous black people in Nick April is going to be a smart tech geek
Old 11-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #384
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Why would nick make April a hoodlum, its not like the network has a history of insensitive depictions of black people hell going by previous black people in Nick April is going to be a smart tech geek
Who knows. But hey maybe April will be a nerd.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #385
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also this was a flashback to Shredder's childhood in one episode:

I love that he's still wearing his helmet as a teenager.

Notice how they're wearing Japanese uniforms and Saki's skin tone.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #386
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

https://i1.wp.com/www.adventuresinpo...size=491%2C375

It's all about skin tone with you.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #387
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

I bet you 5 bucks Saki was a Bancho
Old 11-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #388
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Well... Shredder does act pretty white or at the very least totally American with all the jokes, insults and wordplay. I don't recall OT Shredder ever saying a Japanese expression. In contrast to that Splinter is stuck speaking like the stereotypical Miyagi speak.

Of course the turtles are white. California surfer dudes in new York. Even when it comes to Japanese stuff, other than Leo the rest come off as Americanized white dudes trying to do that wild and crazy Japanese thing. Though they sure had fun making Mikey talk black on the Nicktoon, son.

As for Black April, the 'feeling left out because she's black in an all white school' might work BUT no cartoon for kids is going to show such blatant racism against her. I bet they'll look for any excuse to have the schoolkids shun her other than race.

Now I do wonder just how much stereotypes this version of April is going to endure. We've never had a particularly cool and modern April before.
Well maybe Uncle Phil just couldn't do an Asian accent, and thus Shredder spoke with a very American accent. Also remember Uncle Phil was black. And remember that Shredder's mother and brother both sounded more Asian. As did Splinter and Lotus and that flower lady. Maybe James Avery just couldn't do a japanese accent.

How are they white? Only white people in USA can be surfers or something? What exactly would stop people from other races from having similar personalities to the Turtles? And that being said, I had never thought about what the Turtles would look like as human beings until you mentioned it lol.

Well the VAs of the FW Turtles and the 2k3 Turtles were all White, so ofc they'd "sound white". But that means nothing really. Shredder has been voiced by 3 Black men so far, and no one thinks that makes the character less Japanese. Just like lots of kid and teenage male cartoons characters are voiced by women doesn't make the characters actual women.

Quote:

haha yeah him wearing the helmet was funny. Also, in the Shredderville episode they show a video of him when he was a baby, also wearing a helmet. that one was even funnier.

What about his skin tone? He had the same as he did when he was an adult. Why is that strange?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #389
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

In the beginning of the FW series, Shredder did have a slight Japanese accent but dropped it before the First season even ended.

Atleast he sounds more Japanese than Nick and 2k3 Shredder though
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #390
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
In the beginning of the FW series, Shredder did have a slight Japanese accent but dropped it before the First season even ended.

Atleast he sounds more Japanese than Nick and 2k3 Shredder though
In the 2k3 series I think Scottie Ray tried to give him an East Asian like accent. Not really Japanese but an accent that could fit someone from Korea, China or Japan. Karai had a thicker accent, iirc.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #391
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I will say though, I thought that the cartoon Splinter VAs with the exception of Hoon Lee did do a pretty good job at sounding asian.

I never got why some people didn't like 2k3 Splinters voice. Sure, I prefer the deep voice from the 80s and 2k12 toon but i found his 2k3 voice to be alright.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #392
Prowler
Emperor

Wow the tags for this thread
Old 11-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #393
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Of course the turtles are white
The Turtles are green, dude

I don't see why we'd try to impose race on them
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #394
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Wow the tags for this thread
Yeah, this show has already led to some pretty interesting discussions and mixed receptions with all the changes that are being made.
And it hasn't even come out yet.
Could this be the next TMNT 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post

Yeah, they're turtles. They don't have race.

But, to be fair, there was that episode of the OT where one of the guys became human and was Caucasian.
And then there's 2012 Mikey.

Last edited by DestronMirage22; 11-08-2017 at 05:27 PM.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #395
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

I've always felt that the Turtles in each cartoon were into what was popular with the youth in general at the time.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #396
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
I've always felt that the Turtles in each cartoon were into what was popular with the youth in general at the time.
Exactly.

Lest we all need to be reminded, we're talking about teenage mutant ninja turtles. They have no understanding of what it means to be human, they've just been picking up bits of culture along the way. And living in New York City, one of the biggest melting pots in the world, they would have been exposed to a pretty wide variety of things.

Although now that we're talking about it I'm very curious what their origin story is going to be in the new show
Old 11-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #397
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Exactly.

Lest we all need to be reminded, we're talking about teenage mutant ninja turtles. They have no understanding of what it means to be human, they've just been picking up bits of culture along the way. And living in New York City, one of the biggest melting pots in the world, they would have been exposed to a pretty wide variety of things.

Although now that we're talking about it I'm very curious what their origin story is going to be in the new show
Yeah, remember in the FW series in the very first episode they said "we know a lot about humans. We watch a lot of tv"

FWIW, my mother always thought the Turtles were Japanese. I mean, she obviously knows it's an American property, but she thought the Turtles themselves were Japanese, just like Splinter and/or Yoshi and Shredder. Which is also why she found them having Italian names to be very odd
Old 11-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #398
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Yeah, remember in the FW series in the very first episode they said "we know a lot about humans. We watch a lot of tv"

FWIW, my mother always thought the Turtles were Japanese. I mean, she obviously knows it's an American property, but she thought the Turtles themselves were Japanese, just like Splinter and/or Yoshi and Shredder. Which is also why she found them having Italian names to be very odd
Well, she wouldn't be wrong if she was reading IDW!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #399
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
FWIW, my mother always thought the Turtles were Japanese.
In cases where Yoshi became Splinter and a little DNA mixing may be involved, then I gotta agree with her that if they've got a touch of human in them from Splinter than they'd indeed be Japanese.

Unless... the kid in other versions last touched them (or a pet shop owner), then who knows.

Although when voice actors taken into consideration... until the next series mixes it up, so far they've been a bunch of 'green apples' much of the time, so to speak.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #400
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Well maybe Uncle Phil just couldn't do an Asian accent, and thus Shredder spoke with a very American accent. Also remember Uncle Phil was black. And remember that Shredder's mother and brother both sounded more Asian. As did Splinter and Lotus and that flower lady. Maybe James Avery just couldn't do a japanese accent.

How are they white? Only white people in USA can be surfers or something? What exactly would stop people from other races from having similar personalities to the Turtles? And that being said, I had never thought about what the Turtles would look like as human beings until you mentioned it lol.

Well the VAs of the FW Turtles and the 2k3 Turtles were all White, so ofc they'd "sound white". But that means nothing really. Shredder has been voiced by 3 Black men so far, and no one thinks that makes the character less Japanese. Just like lots of kid and teenage male cartoons characters are voiced by women doesn't make the characters actual women.

haha yeah him wearing the helmet was funny. Also, in the Shredderville episode they show a video of him when he was a baby, also wearing a helmet. that one was even funnier.

What about his skin tone? He had the same as he did when he was an adult. Why is that strange?
Pretty sure he could if he was given the direction. He did more of an accent in the first 5 eps. Actually I kinda think Nick Shredder was basically told to sound just like Trigon and forgot "oh yea, he's Japanese too".

The Turtles basically acted and talked white, C'mon you all know this, even though technically they're Turtles. If all 4 of them were cast by black VAs and spoke will all sorts of black slang, I know fans would have been calling them the black turtles even though, again, they're Turtles not human. Same if they were voiced by and sounded Hispanic. It doesn't change the fact that they're turtles and not humans, but you still would have people making green card jokes.

Tags
april, april o'neil, curious (black), cybercubedtheracist, dc comics, everything is racist, im offended, mirage, plastroncuckold, racist