The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
ZedsDead
Random Punk

No Konami collection?

Why hasn’t Konami put together a TMNT collection? Put it on all current systems, PC and a green cartridge for the Switch. The arcade games, NES, Gameboy, SNES, Genesis all the way through to Mutant Melee.

I’ve come to the realization that we’ll probably never get that great AAA TMNT game or a retro inspired game so I think this would the next best thing. I’m sure there’s some legalities that might hold it up but I think it’s a great idea.
ZedsDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Because Konami no longer holds the rights to the TMNT games.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
sdp
Megan Fox = April

TMNT is a franchise that can totally make a comeback in the gaming world, the million dollar questions is how. Gamers still associate TMNT with games so it doesn't deserve the same mobile phone crap fate that all other licensed properties will be forever stuck in.

Some licensed properties have been able to escape it so there's always hope. The fact that the last two "aimed at gamers" games Out of the Shadows & Mutants in Manhattan failed likely means no one will try in soonish but I think it'll happen eventually.

As far as Konami, well they don't even care to make games of their own properties so them re-acquiring the TMNT won't happen. It's easier for someone who owns a new license to to license the game code from Konami like Ubisfoft did when they had the TMNT license and re-released the arcade games. A compilation is easier said than done as well, each game requires an emulator, especially if they're from different systems so of course the NES/SNES and Arcade games are more likely to happen but sadly the GameBoy/Genesis or 2k3 games? Not so much. Not enough people care about them to invest in making them playable again.

Who has the TMNT license since it expired anyway?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

Who has the TMNT license since it expired anyway?
As far as we know no one, hopefully WB because of their inclusion on Injustice though. Activision where the last ones to hold the license but had since lost it/let go of it recently.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
ZedsDead
Random Punk

I guess I could have worded that better. Rather, how has a Konami collection not been made yet?

So who would be the parties involved be to make such a collection besides Viacom?
ZedsDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT is a licensed property, they can't put all the games out if they don't own it. Activision was the last one to own the TMNT license when they released the latest game on PS4/One, I don't know if they let the license expire or not.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They're all basically the same game. They should just make one game with randomly generated levels and bosses and it'd be the same difference.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
pferreira
Foot Elite

There's a lot of legal rights issues to wade through before that can be a possibility. If it's seen as profitable enough then however ends up with the video game rights will probably ask some company like Digital Eclipse to port the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They're all basically the same game. They should just make one game with randomly generated levels and bosses and it'd be the same difference.
What are you talking about??? How on earth is the 1989 side scrolling platform game anything like the 2003 4kids version?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
What are you talking about??? How on earth is the 1989 side scrolling platform game anything like the 2003 4kids version?
Oh, those, too? Sure. Those are different.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
I guess I could have worded that better. Rather, how has a Konami collection not been made yet?

So who would be the parties involved be to make such a collection besides Viacom?
The very first reply you got already answered your question, because Konami doess't have the rights for the games anymore.

To put it simple, Viacom owns the TMNT brand, but Konami "owns" the source code for the games, so Viacom can't sell the source code for any other company to re-release the games, and Konami can't re-release them again because they don't own the characters. Only way for it to happen is for Konami to buy the license again, but they're more interested in Pachinko machines and mobile games to care, heck, they don't even care about their own IPs anymore...