The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

A thread dedicated to the great TMNT Entity

Mark "Dr. Spengler" Pellegrini would never toot his own horn, but I will. Go to tmntentity.blogspot.com, go NOW and read Mark's very wonderful reviews of the comics...every volume. Now to be fair, he's not done yet, but I'll give him credit, he's more dedicated than I. I was reviewing the 4 volumes of Turtle Soup for www.gogreenmachine.org and have yet to get past the first issue. So kudos, Mark on an excellent site with reviews that are just as awesome.

Oh...and by the way Spengs, the Donatello book the commenter was talking about was one of the 4 released by Random House. Leo's was an adaptation of TMNT: Adventures 5 (The Ray Fillet issue), Mikey adapted Incredible Shrinking Turtles, Raph - Return of the Shredder, and Donatello was in fact the lone Mirage adaptation, that of Kirby and the Warp Crystal.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656

Last edited by Jester; 07-24-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Revan
Han Shot First

Yes, Spengs is a hero

I read his reviews for clarification when I'm confused about a book. It's a great tool if you need some help while reading as I can admit used to happen to me. It's quite a commitment.

Last edited by Revan; 07-23-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
Yes, Spengs is a hero

I read his reviews for clarification when I'm confused about a book. It's a great tool if you need some help while reading as I can admit used to happen to me. It's quite an commitment.

I love his blog. Everything is so eloquently written.

Thanks Spengs for all your hard work!

-ms
Old 07-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

I read every post, love it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Ninjinister
無問題

Brownnoser.

Seriously though, I've killed hours reading Entity, and sometimes there are details pointed out that I completely missed that completely floor me.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I, for one, appreciate both this talent and his humility. Like Jester said, Spengs doesn't toot his own horn very much, but the quality of his stuff is well thought-out. He really does attempt analysis rather than just ranting about whatever is on his mind.

I've worked with Mark for about the last two years or so on the TMNT manga translation project (he does most of the hard work, of course). While not too many people have kept up with that project, his efforts have been an admirable contribution to the TMNT archives, and I feel like he's doing me a personal favor translating my manga!

Did you guys also know he writes comic strips for a talented artist named Timothy Lin? It's a series called "It's a Good Life," and I highly recommend everybody check it out as well.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 07-23-2011 at 08:13 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's a good review site. Although he trashes
some issues a bit too harshly like Bodycount. Then again it's not like we all have the same opinions on issues so it doesn't matter.

I mainly discovered his site just because of the Mirage continuity timeline.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's a good review site. Although he trashes
some issues a bit too harshly like Bodycount. Then again it's not like we all have the same opinions on issues so it doesn't matter.
On that note (differing opinions among fans)... it's impossible to trash the Bodycount issues too harshly.

Not that I always agree with Mark, but he just about always makes his case with facts and logic. So it's hard to spite him at the end of the day.

View my sketch work!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Hyperlink fixed... Ooops.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
Navin Johnson
Stone Warrior

I will check it out, Thanks
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
So it's hard to spite him at the end of the day.
Challenge Accepted!

...Yes, his site is great.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

I am surprised the site updates almost every 2 days or so. He is certainly putting a lot of work into reading and reviewing these issues in what I is assume almost daily.

The pacing is good. He is almost halfway through the Archie series, although I gather that might be because most Archie issues are only like 25 pages or so.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
discordiatookie
facehugger

I absolutely love that site. Every article is well informed, funny and well written, and his reviews are great also. I also enjoy his horror movie reviews, and Its a Good Life is pretty decent too.

You actually trying to read this tiny text? Damn, you're dedicated! This is all just for effect you know...

original TMNT art collection
discordiatookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

hi guys!
I just read his donatello one shot review and was pleasently surprised of how accurate and well put the text seemed, great write, amigo!!
I just wanted to remind you of something that you missed putting in there and that might clearify the one moment that made me think 'okay, here he feels a little uncomfortable with the matter'..I am talking about the 'loveletter' of sorts to a living fellow artist...the donatello micro series was done at the time when jack kirby was at court fighting for his creator rights and all the income for that donatello comic was directly sponsored for his cause...so this isn't that weird but rather noble...this I learned from kevin eastman's artobiography and I think you know it anyway giving that everything is in place in your review...
right on!!
cowabunga!
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I'm extremely flattered, you guys! Thanks!

I'm glad I've been able to carve a little niche for myself with my site. It gets some pretty modest traffic (300-400 hits a day and 500 on a good day), but I'm glad that the people who find it enjoy what I've written.

I do fear that some times I can be too harsh with my reviews. I try not to be one of those "raging bloggers"; I watch my vocabulary and try to specify what disappointed or upset me without resorting to personal insults. I try to remember that there are people behind everything I criticize and they aren't all millionaire celebrities living in Beverly Hills. Even still, I reread some of my more colorful reviews and feel kind of guilty.

I feel especially bad for being hard on Steve Murphy while going through TMNT Adventures. I feel justified in my criticisms, though there are times I feel I've straddled the line of going "too far"; getting caught in the heat of the moment. And when a guy wrote close to 72 consecutive issues of a series, it's easy for it to look like I'm singling him out. I really don't want to be one of "those" bloggers and I am disappointed in myself some times.

But anyway, I appreciate all the praise, but you guys should be aware that I wouldn't be able to catalogue much of my information without all of you at the Technodrome. I've gotten so many scans, links, tips and golden chunks of info from you guys that it's made my job that much easier and more entertaining. I've been involved in the Transformers online community for 10 years now, and it's so massive and polarized that you can get lost in it despite your contributions. But the TMNT community is very small and close-knit and cooperative. It's really startling, but in the best kind of way.

Anyhow, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and thanks again for all the help you guys have give me over the years. I'll endeavor to be more polite in my critiques in the future.

...Except when it comes to Bodycount. I cannot be polite when it comes to Bodycount.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #16
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Personally, I think you have a perfect balance. And I envy your critical analysis skills.... I love checking out your site.

Don't ever change!

~ Machias
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
Powder
So tired of this place

Today is also Speng's birthday, wish him a good one after all you mugs read his articles!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #18
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I feel especially bad for being hard on Steve Murphy while going through TMNT Adventures. I feel justified in my criticisms, though there are times I feel I've straddled the line of going "too far"; getting caught in the heat of the moment. And when a guy wrote close to 72 consecutive issues of a series, it's easy for it to look like I'm singling him out. I really don't want to be one of "those" bloggers and I am disappointed in myself some times.
Ahh, I consider myself a huge fan of the Archie universe (it may be my favorite deviation in the multiverse) but I feel the same way about Murphy's eco-preachyness.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

About the Archie reviews, are you going to review the Merdude and Don/Leatherhead specials before you get to the arc where the Mutanimals are all killed? It makes sense to review the issues they're still alive in before they get killed.

There's also the awful April MayEast specials, which was so terrible Murphy tried to retcon the story out of continuity.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I figured I've revive this thread to give TMNT Entity a plug! DrSpengler has recently finished his extensive labor of translating Super Turtles #2, (Cryomancer is making quick work on getting it ready for public viewing, BTW) which means he is back to the grind on the TMNT comic reviews.

Today he reviewed the classic TMNT Volume 1, #11, recognizing it as the unintentional yet appropriate send-off to the Eastman & Laird team, their only future joint project being the first issue of City at War. Read it!

View my sketch work!

Tags
tmnt entity