The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 12:50 AM   #21
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Well yeah, but she's the only one. And is a very, very minor role.

All things considered, April's also probably the only one who not only has both her parents alive/present but has a stable relationship with both.

I'll save my tangent on that for a more appropriate thread...
Well I mean, honestly what is it 1/4 for known family units where the mother's still confirmed alive? Casey and Angel's moms, and well Tang Shen technically, but so was Yoshi at one point.

We have no idea where say, Karai or Baxter's mothers are, right? And most of the other characters just don't have explored family units really.

EDIT: If we go off-world, Gizzla's alive, too.... Marra's dead but so is Ely...
Old 01-03-2018, 01:51 AM   #22
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Karai's mother is in her mini briefly, but it seems like she doesn't talk to either of her parents at this point.

Saki and Krang's mothers aren't explored at all, and I think that's a shame. While it could be argued that maybe Utrom biology allowed Quanin to give birth to Krang, I personally don't think so. And there would still need to be a second parent involved anyway, because someone's alleles beat the living daylights out of Quanin's by most depictions.
Given the time period, I wouldn't be surprised if Saki's mother died in childbirth, as utterly cliche as it is.

Spoiler:
Personally, I would have had Shredder's mother as a kind of "Lady MacBeth"...or a witch who was in on Kitsune's plans. And encouraged Saki to kill his father. Complete with the ollll' Palpatine "Do it".

As for Krang's mother, by IDW limits, I blame her for him being a spoiled brat in his Villains mini. Maybe Krang would hang out with her once in a while, mostly to wine&whine. His relationship with her would stable enough that he wasn't itching for her to come out of stasis - should she have survived Utrominion's collapse. Which I think is possible.
(I also think she'd be like Scarlett O'Hara if she cannibalized Rhett Butler's pampering tendencies down to a faint ghost of what it once was)

They could be included in their son's stories without changing a lot. Or, potentially, making things better. Just because they're mothers it doesn't mean that they're the force that might stop whatever scheming they're up to. Heck, they could encourage it, or maybe just not care all that much.

I even think Casey's story could be a touch more interesting if his parents might have been divorced, and somehow Hun managed to twist the law around his little finger to get full custody just to stick it to his ex. As such, Casey has no idea where she is and smacked into the light bulb that would make him figure out how to find her. Maybe even Angel could be from a divorced family.

Sure, divorce is just as tired a trope, but I would much prefer that over the mother being dead. We don't need half the cast to be a herd of Bambis.

The turtles, as far as I'm concerned, are the only characters where it would make sense for their mothers to be dead. And Saki's. Because it's been 200 years. It's more in regards to story significance. Casey's mother doesn't NEED to be dead, nor does Angel's. There could always be divorce, being too much of a druggie/alcoholic to notice or care about her child being abused, or just hanging around in the background but still being at least a little present.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-03-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #23
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Moved to correct thread

Last edited by ProphetofGanja; 01-05-2018 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Posted in wrong thread
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

It wont be long until we see Vern and Irma showing up.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Is "Maintenance" supposed to be misspelled in the title to the back-up story? It was an interesting little vignette, in any case. It was nice seeing the Mutanimals and Dialynas' art again. I wonder when we'll see Seymour and the rest of the Mutanimals again in the main series

The main story was pretty good too; I liked the lighter tone. I didn't like the mom's or kids' writing but it's not a super crucial issue so it's cool. I also didn't really get the final scene where Raph is saying something heartfelt and Mikey just kinda dumbly laughs until Raph tries to kick him. That could have been handled better. All in all though, I liked the issue. Solid B, at least. Maybe B+, depending on how I feel after another read-through.
I think you have this in the wrong thread
Old 01-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #26
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
I think you have this in the wrong thread
Oops!!! Moving it now
Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #27
bushido
Stone Warrior

Full preview here.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #28
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Senator Lawson.

Oh, and look! There's Vernon, the little dweeb.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

I like that Bishop is working for the government. I still say we need more shades of gray in IDW's Bishop eventually, like him experimenting on alien DNA or turning people into creatures (he may track down the Darkwater agents or something like that for leaving him), or that 4kids episode where Bishop tricked the President into giving him funding by staging a fake alien invasion. Hopefully we get that in a future arc. Maybe we'll see IDW's version of the Slayer too, the Bishop supersoldier clones (although he can't become Rat King in this version since we already have one, heh), or stuff like Bishop trying to cure a mutant outbreak.

Bishop has like limitless potential as a character, it's no surprise he was one of the breakout characters of the 2k3 series and he's so great to use and mine for stories in new incarnations. I hope we see a lot of him for the rest of the franchises run.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #30
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Full preview here.
This is gonna be goooood
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #31
neatoman
Emperor

"Senator Lawson", nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Oh, and look! There's Vernon, the little dweeb.
Didn't notice it at first, looks more like the Will Arnett version than the cartoon.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:00 AM   #32
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Spoiler:
You're clearly not even descended from a Triceratops! You don't have any brow horns and your crest is weird!

Having some trouble finding what that is exactly, though.

Anyway...April's parents finally show their faces again and the Purple Dragons kicked butt. They have "War of the Worlds" on their shelf, which is...appropriate given the situation. What a twist on Hun and Casey working together.

I think the herd mentality with the Triceratons might have gotten stronger over the years.

Raphael's moodiness was odd even for him, but given the situation, it makes sense.

"The Tube" as an alternative for "Youtube" actually works pretty well.

It seems a little odd that the turtles would credit Krang for the Triceratops abductions. Mostly because it was Quanin who gave the orders and in their presence, Krang was never once mentioned as the mind behind it. That would be Churk.

But my ultimate question of all:
WHY HAVEN'T THEY MET PEPPERONI YET?

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-10-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #33
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
You're clearly not even descended from a Triceratops! You don't have any brow horns and your crest is weird!
https://i.imgur.com/MVBa76p.png
Styracosaurus, maybe?

Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #34
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Spoiler:
https://i.imgur.com/MVBa76p.png

Anyway...April's parents finally show their faces again and the Purple Dragons kicked butt. They have "War of the Worlds" on their shelf, which is...appropriate given the situation. What a twist on Hun and Casey working together.

I think the herd mentality with the Triceratons might have gotten stronger over the years.

Raphael's moodiness was odd even for him, but given the situation, it makes sense.

"The Tube" as an alternative for "Youtube" actually works pretty well.

It seems a little odd that the turtles would credit Krang for the Triceratops abductions. Mostly because it was Quanin who gave the orders and in their presence, Krang was never once mentioned as the mind behind it. That would be Churk.

But my ultimate question of all:
WHY HAVEN'T THEY MET PEPPERONI YET?
I think the Turtles likely just blame Krang for everything the Utroms did, since he was the first one they met and he led them for so long.

Spoiler:
This conflict between the Triceratons and Earth is so frustrating, I just want everyone to communicate better and get along It was nice checking in with April's parents again, and seeing Hun was a surprise. Casey and the Purple Dragons thinking it was a good idea to go up against alien dinosaur men with laser guns with sporting equipment seems like it should have obviously been a really dumb idea, but Casey and the Dragons are all pretty dumb so I guess it's believable. There were only two Triceratons after all, and Hun showed up in the middle of the fight to even things out. It was pretty brutal to light that one on fire though. Hardcore. Also, Master Splinter is really letting his Feudalistic mindset show. He and his sons are not going to get along for the rest of this arc, I imagine. This arc has been really well-written so far, there's a lot going on and it's all interesting.

...and now begins the very long wait until TMNTU #19 on February 14th, Service Animals part one . Although I wonder if that issue will take place currently or after the conclusion of the Invasion of the Triceratons arc, so even reading that we'll need to wait for TMNT #79 and #80 to come out to see how this story plays out (Feb. 21st and Mar. 28th). I can't see Raph and Alopex finding a way to sneak off to Null's headquarters while New York is under attack.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #35
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I did consider Styracosaurus. But not only is the frill not quite "fancy" enough, but they also predated Triceratops by about 10 million years.

In hindsight, it is pretty amazing that the Purple Dragons were even able to take on those two Triceratons.
And even came ready for at least something.
Your Triceraton is on fire!

(And no, it's not ironic that gas was thrown on it, because oil doesn't come from dinosaurs.)

I could see one of the turtles talking to Ma'riell and pegging the creation of the Triceratons on Krang somehow, and she'd remark something along the lines of "Krang was an arrogant teenager in military training when that started."
("So I'm going to guess the only thing that didn't change was the arrogance?")

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-10-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #36
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This felt more like an issue of Universe than Universe #18 did. Would've been a perfect tie-in issue, seeing how it focused so much on the O'Neil and Jones families.

Also, as soon as we saw a cover with Casey on it for this Triceraton Invasion story arc, I had a sneaking suspicion we'd be seeing another familiar face...

And I was right.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Most of this issue was excellent. Loved seeing Casey and Hun team up against the Triceratons, we got to see Bishop secure his funding, and the last scenes with Splinter forbidding his sons to fight was well done. Splinter is really starting to go off the deep end even if he means well. Burne's debut was a nice easter egg and that one Triceraton lit on fire was brutal.

If I have one complaint...it's that April's parents just wasted page time and felt like filler. Every other character used was great, but do we really need to see April's mom reunite her old passion for a news reporter? Just think those 2-3 pages spent on them could have been spent on more fighting with the Triceatons or more time with the Turtles/Splinter at the end.

Other than that the issue was a 9/10. I'm almost sad this is only one issue more, as far as I'm concerned this could have been a 10 issue story arc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #38
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm almost sad this is only one issue more, as far as I'm concerned this could have been a 10 issue story arc.
Two more, dude. #79 and #80.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #39
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I was expecting Casey Jones to say " This was my favorite hockey stick!".

The alliance of Bishop and Splinter with Splinter over the Fpot Clan against the Triceratons , who actually came in peace is so surreal.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:12 PM   #40
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

All things considered, I'm a little surprised and not surprised that between Casey and the turtles, he was the first to reconcile with his father, at least a little bit. For the moment. It probably isn't going to last.