The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Shredder/Splinter be the best fighters in the world or one of the best
The best of the best 1 11.11%
At least in the top 20 8 88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Do you prefer Shredder/Splinter as the best fighters in the world or one of the best

We all know that when it comes to combat both Shredder and Splinter are at the top of their craft and in some incarnations basically the best in the world. So my question is that do you prefer them being the best in the world or just place them in top 20
Old 02-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Neither, really. Unlike other similar media, very little in TMNT has ever been about them or their foes being the "best", & that's a big part of its appeal.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I can't remember a specific instance of Shredder and Splinter being the 2 undisputed best fighters in the entire world but I prefer the top 20 approach since that makes potential for more interesting fighters in the tmnt universe.

Speaking of Shredder and Splinter being the best of the best however, I am reminded of one moment in the Original Cartoon when Leonardo guessed that the moves of the Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang could've only been taught by either Splinter or Shredder (Return of the Shredder, Season 2, episode 1). I did find it odd that all of the potential ninjas in the world, a specific move could only be taught by those two to the Crooked Ninja Turtle Gang.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 02-10-2018 at 12:09 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:17 AM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

In the world?! I've never thought about it that way. Shredder and Splinter are not aliens(well, Chrell...) or creatures who have superpowers. But as far as martial arts go... again I haven't thought about it. Perhaps there are better fighters out there, but they're busy teaching or competing in the Olympics instead of running into the Turtles.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:37 AM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I feel like it goes overboard to say they're the best of the best, even if they're very good. First because it removes tension from any fights they get into, second because puts the Turtles at a severe disadvantage every time they fight Shredder (as seen repeatedly in the Nick show), third because it's just kind of boring.

Having weaknesses in combat is good for character development, especially for Shredder being a wreck in all of his incarnations and Splinter being an elderly rat; even if he starts off a good fighter, I can see reason for him to start slipping in agility and athletic prowess as time goes on.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:38 AM   #6
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Just good, but underestimated fighters are OK for me. Same with the turtles. Comparing it to those practicing competitive karate is pointless. It's organized sports more like icehockey and soccer, not fighting for life and death.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #7
Ninjinister
無問題

I'm not sure they've ever been considered the best on the planet in any incarnation, have they? And I like to think there's a whole world outside of the Turtles anyway where they have their own everything else to deal with and that the best fighters in the world are elsewhere.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #8
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I'm not sure they've ever been considered the best on the planet in any incarnation, have they? And I like to think there's a whole world outside of the Turtles anyway where they have their own everything else to deal with and that the best fighters in the world are elsewhere.
Well in the TMNT 2k3 version Yoshi won the Battle Nexus Tournament and in the 2k12 version no one except for Yoshi beat Shredder in one on one combat. Maybe in hindsight I should've said do you want to see characters beat Shredder or Yoshi in combat.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Neither, really. Unlike other similar media, very little in TMNT has ever been about them or their foes being the "best", & that's a big part of its appeal.
That's about how I'd put it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:43 AM   #10
Overlord

I like how in the Nickelodeon series, the turtles are underestimated when first facing Shredder, and getting really beaten up.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Well in the TMNT 2k3 version Yoshi won the Battle Nexus Tournament and in the 2k12 version no one except for Yoshi beat Shredder in one on one combat. Maybe in hindsight I should've said do you want to see characters beat Shredder or Yoshi in combat.
So what if there are better fighters on earth who had never been to the Battle Nexus
Old 02-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #12
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
So what if there are better fighters on earth who had never been to the Battle Nexus
Doesn't the organizers for the Battle Nexus tournament look for the best of the best. Also my point is that in most incarnations we don't see anyone beating Shredder or Splinter one one one(unless its Shredder or Splinter).
Old 02-12-2018, 05:55 AM   #13
Overlord

To me, Battle Nexus works better in a videogame.