The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

What Box Set should be next?

With Playmates re-releasing some of their previous figures in these new box sets (original, comic book, and movie, coming soon), which do you think should be the next set they put out? There's no shortage of turtle variant figures from over the years, so the possibilities certainly abound.

Personally, I'd love to see a set of storage shell turtles get re-released. Maybe rounded out with Casey and April, who haven't been put in a box set yet.

Thoughts?
Old 01-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'd throw in for a Next Mutation box (the figures are pretty cool, and all of my originals are falling apart)...but who would be the 6th figure? Splinter? Dragon Lord? Shredder?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
With Playmates re-releasing some of their previous figures in these new box sets (original, comic book, and movie, coming soon), which do you think should be the next set they put out? There's no shortage of turtle variant figures from over the years, so the possibilities certainly abound.

Personally, I'd love to see a set of storage shell turtles get re-released. Maybe rounded out with Casey and April, who haven't been put in a box set yet.

Thoughts?
What would the box look like for the Storage Shell turtles, Casey Jones, and April O’ Neil? Also, blue stripe April or orange pocket flap April with the animated head?

I could see a Technodrome box set with the mini Krang’s Android Body, General Traag, Chromedome, Robotic Foot Soldier , Robotic Bebop, and Robotic Rocksteady. This would be the first box set of the 2020s to encapsulate 2 soft head figures. We would finally have all of the evil mechanical creations of Shredder’s in one set.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Dragonlord would be cool, but I could see them doing Splinter and Shredder. Those seem to be the preferred choices, at least at the Playmates level.

I have the four turtles, and I love them. I agree that the NM would be a great set to revisit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
What would the box look like for the Storage Shell turtles, Casey Jones, and April O’ Neil? Also, blue stripe April or orange pocket flap April with the animated head?
Maybe the channel six news van? Or something like the pizza thrower? Either one would be cool. I'd imagine the April would be the blue stripe version.

Quote:
I could see a Technodrome box set with the mini Krang’s Android Body, General Traag, Chromedome, Robotic Foot Soldier , Robotic Bebop, and Robotic Rocksteady. This would be the first box set of the 2020s to encapsulate 2 soft head figures. We would finally have all of the evil mechanical creations of Shredder’s in one set.
This ALL DAY long!
Old 01-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Next Mutation

I would like to own set since this is the only line from Playmates that I don’t have any figures from. Well that and the 2007 movie.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Dragonlord would be cool, but I could see them doing Splinter and Shredder. Those seem to be the preferred choices, at least at the Playmates level.

I have the four turtles, and I love them. I agree that the NM would be a great set to revisit.
It would be even better if there was a heroes and villains set for NM. The turtles, Venus, and Splinter in a Mutant Marauder box and Shredder, Dragon Lord, Elite Guard, Rank Warrior, Bone Steel, and Silver in a box with Shredder’s Lair on it.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #7
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
It would be even better if there was a heroes and villains set for NM. The turtles, Venus, and Splinter in a Mutant Marauder box and Shredder, Dragon Lord, Elite Guard, Rank Warrior, Bone Steel, and Silver in a box with Shredder’s Lair on it.
I could get behind this...

Old 01-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
sdp
-

I'd be down for a Next Mutation turtles, 2k3, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'd throw in for a Next Mutation box (the figures are pretty cool, and all of my originals are falling apart)...but who would be the 6th figure? Splinter? Dragon Lord? Shredder?
Both Shredder and Dragonlord had cool figures, it'd make more sense to have Dragonlord since he was the actual villain.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
Next Mutation

I would like to own set since this is the only line from Playmates that I don’t have any figures from. Well that and the 2007 movie.
Both the NM (excluding Venus) and the TMNT turtles were extremely hard to find in 1997 and 2007. In fact, the first version of the NM turtles that I saw at KB Toys was the Thunder Thrashers in ‘98. I thought I saw them in a box set, but the only box set I can find online is the Special Edition Deluxe Box Set with basic Leo, basic Venus, Dragon Lord, and the Elite Guard. Perhaps, I’m not remembering the Thunder Thrashers packages correctly. It’s been over 20 years, so it’s a little hazy in my memory bank.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I bought my NM figures while my family was in Italy when my dad was in the Air Force. Got the Turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Dragon Lord, a Rank, 5 Elite, Bonesteel, and the Mutant Marauder.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just speculation, but I'm pretty sure anytime Nick or Playmates wants to release anything of TNM (not that they necessarily would, or should want to) the rights might be a bit of a tangled web.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

You're probably right. I'm sure Saban has some rights.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
Ninjinister
無問題

I mean they did throw in a NM fig in that Leo box set.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #14
mikey0
Foot Elite

Playmates has never re-released the TMNT movie figures from 2007. A box set with the turtles, Splinter, and Shredder would be neat. Unfortunately, the Stone Generals were the antagonists in the 2007 movie. Therefore, a box set with the turtles, Splinter, and Max Winters that came packaged in a Cowabunga Carl Party Van box would be more appropriate.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #15
frank_one
Mad Scientist

It would be interesting to see Playmates following Super7 and re-releasing the original figures of whatever set of figures they release. Whenever Super7 announces a new Ultimate wave, Playmates could release those same vintage figures. This could even be a good move from a commercial perspective as whenever Super7 puts out an Ultimate version of an old figure, the interest for the vintage version of that figure rises a little bit. They could even work together and release a box set containing the Ultimate figure AND the original vintage figure.

Other than that, one thing I would like to see back is Giant Turtles:
https://www.tmnttoys.com/90others/giants/index.html
but this time with heads mimicking the ones from the original 1988 first wave.

Last edited by frank_one; 01-20-2021 at 05:10 PM.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #16
mikey0
Foot Elite

I’m sure a box set with Mutagen Man, Mondo Gecko, Metalhead, Wacky Walkin’ Mouser (or Muckman), blue stripe April O’ Neil, and Casey Jones would sell out on Big Bad Toy Store in a heartbeat.

Playmates could certainly make a Prototype Giant Size TMNT Figure Set with a box featuring one large hole in the brick wall. That would be awesome.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-20-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:19 PM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

They should make a box set of the 2012 series. But put it out on Blu-ray. Wasn't it annoying how they released those episodes on DVD? Yet they were in HD during the broadcast.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:26 PM   #18
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
They should make a box set of the 2012 series. But put it out on Blu-ray. Wasn't it annoying how they released those episodes on DVD? Yet they were in HD during the broadcast.
yes they should but i guess Nick doesn't want money cause id buy it in a heart beat.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:08 PM   #19
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
It would be interesting to see Playmates following Super7 and re-releasing the original figures of whatever set of figures they release. Whenever Super7 announces a new Ultimate wave, Playmates could release those same vintage figures. This could even be a good move from a commercial perspective as whenever Super7 puts out an Ultimate version of an old figure, the interest for the vintage version of that figure rises a little bit. They could even work together and release a box set containing the Ultimate figure AND the original vintage figure.

Other than that, one thing I would like to see back is Giant Turtles:
https://www.tmnttoys.com/90others/giants/index.html
but this time with heads mimicking the ones from the original 1988 first wave.

OOOOhhhhhhh! Hell yeah! Reissue the giants! BRILLIANT IDEA

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:13 PM   #20
mikey0
Foot Elite

How about themed sets?

I could see Raph, the Space Cadet, General Traag, Triceraton, Zak, the Neutrino, Fugitoid, and Space Usagi in a space adventure figure set. Mike, the Sewer Surfer would fit in nicely with Merdude, Ray Filet, Leatherhead, Genghis Frog, and Napoleon Bonafrog. Playmates could throw in the new Original Comic Book Shredder or Slice ‘N Dice Shredder with Usagi Yojimbo, Leo, the Sewer Samurai, Panda Khan, Tattoo, and Creepy Crawlin’ Splinter. I imagine Don, the Undercover Turtle could be bundled with Toon April , Irma, Vernon, Burne, and Toon Shredder.

It would be even more perfect if Playmates could do box sets with the turtle variants that some of the oldtime collectors missed in the 90s like the Apollo 11 and Undercover Turtles figures.