The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: NECA or Super7?
NECA 27 48.21%
Super7 7 12.50%
All NECA, fill holes with Super7 2 3.57%
Mix of both 9 16.07%
All of both 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #21
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I'll be buying what I like. I have high hopes for Super7. They seem like they might be willing to go deep on characters. They might be better equipped to get figures to collectors. That said NECA is doing great stuff.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #22
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Been meaning to write in this thread for a while.

The whole Super7 thing is interesting because as we've seen time and time again with companies not named NECA ... it seems a TMNT collector line only seems to be the four main turtles before the line gets shut down. Actually, I guess if we're keeping score it's announcing Shredder in the line. Happened with the original Playmates Classics Collector line, happened with SH Figuarts and technically even happened with NECA with the original Mirage line way back when.

After seeing the ToyFair announcement that Super7 picked up the line, it REALLY intrigued me and especially after watching that Pixel Dan video. I'm not a Masters of the Universe fan, but I have to admit I did think it was really cool that fans of that franchise are finally going to be able to get the 1987 movie figures they thought they'd never see and I personally loved the hell out of their Toxic Crusader and Ren & Stimpy figures they showed ... but how are they going to do the Turtles? To me, what makes the most sense is doing a remastered version of the original Playmates line. I think that could look really cool and would keep it distinct enough from not feeling more solely Fred Wolf based figures. If successful too, they could come up with a whole backlist of Playmates era TMNT figures to redo in a way that could be refreshing and fun.

However, all this talk of it being "cartoon based" kind of puts a damper on that plan.

I guess we'll have to see ... will I be picking these up? Probably not. My 1/4th 1990 TMNT collection, unopened 7" versions, my NECA Mirage TMNT and possibly adding the NECA 1987 figures will be taking up so much real estate in our spare room that I can't seem to be able to find a way to make that work.

Time will tell, though. Either way, looking forward to what they have to offer.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #23
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

I'm pretty eager to see what comes out for the Super7 line, but I'm also super psyched with all the terrific NECA offerings. NECA has been killing it with the 1990 movie line and that Shredder from the 2017 SDCC set (now currently in the Target 2-pack). That truly is a dream Shredder for me. I must say that the SH Figuarts turtles have been some of my fave figures to date and I'm bummed nothing more came out of that line.

I guess we'll wait and see what comes of Super7. I'm just loving that all this new random merch is coming out for adult collectors. It seems like most kids have zero interest in toys these days. I wish Playmates would recognize this and cater to adults more often. At least other companies are getting it right and know where the real money is coming from.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #24
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverNinja View Post
I wish Playmates would recognize this and cater to adults more often. At least other companies are getting it right and know where the real money is coming from.
Mattel is a great example of this type of marketing when it comes to the Jurassic park line. They’re killing it with both the legacy and the Jurassic World lines. The way I see it though is if playmates did a collectors line NECA would more than likely have to go back to con exclusives. So would you rather have a playmates collector line which we’ve seen what they can do or would you rather have a more accessible NECA collectors line?
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #25
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
The whole Super7 thing is interesting because as we've seen time and time again with companies not named NECA ... it seems a TMNT collector line only seems to be the four main turtles before the line gets shut down. Actually, I guess if we're keeping score it's announcing Shredder in the line. Happened with the original Playmates Classics Collector line, happened with SH Figuarts and technically even happened with NECA with the original Mirage line way back when.
Heh honestly, up the last couple of years, even NECA were guilty of that. We got April, then the only reason we got Shredder was because he was repainted/remolded into a bunch of foot soldiers, and released in 2 lines.

The fact that NECA announced the Dimension-X set, what, two years ago and we still don't have release info is honestly not encouraging, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm expecting those molds to come out at Target in the cartoon colors, along with Bebop and Rocksteady. Eventually. If you can find them, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
So would you rather have a playmates collector line which we’ve seen what they can do or would you rather have a more accessible NECA collectors line?
For their time, Playmate's "Classic Collection" figures were pretty great. I was excited for Shredder and Krang (that, of course, got cancelled). Their Bebop and Rocksteady are good figures too - just frustrating that they didn't stick to the cartoon aesthetic. That said, they pair nicely with the First Gokin Shredder / Krang.

Only reason I'm saying this, is that Playmates has shown, very very briefly, that they can do solid Collector oriented figures.

But of course most of the time they give garbo like this and this
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:25 PM   #26
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I didn't know it was cartoon line only, a shame but the more the merrier, I hope they do some cool stuff.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #27
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I didn't know it was cartoon line only, a shame but the more the merrier, I hope they do some cool stuff.
I’m still not sure it is. I don’t know if there’s a clip to prove otherwise but I don’t remember hearing that it was toon only.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:54 PM   #28
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
I’m still not sure it is. I don’t know if there’s a clip to prove otherwise but I don’t remember hearing that it was toon only.
Ah ok, so it seems like a rumor that started that people are believing? I never saw any interview or page either, if there is no source why are we assuming this.

If it isn't then it'd be great if they do their own thing, imagine if it were based on the original playmates toyline , I'd buy everything except Hunchback shredder.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #29
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Ah ok, so it seems like a rumor that started that people are believing? I never saw any interview or page either, if there is no source why are we assuming this.

If it isn't then it'd be great if they do their own thing, imagine if it were based on the original playmates toyline , I'd buy everything except Hunchback shredder.
Pixel Dan's interview with Brian Flynn, there they say cartoon Turtles
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #30
sdp
Megan Fox = April

That's a shame, I wonder how it'll look then, technically we can still get more accurate portrayals. The SHF look like their promotional artwork more, the NECA more like the opening theme turtles, so a mix between both would make a more accurate looking turtle figures:

I guess there's also the Red Sky turtles look they could go after but probably not in anyone's plan.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #31
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Anything new on the Super7 line?
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #32
AquaParade
Banned

I sort of feel like we've hit the ceiling with OT figures. There's great renditions of all the main characters that are already available or will be soon.

I'm really hoping one of them will move on to another version of TMNT. Archie, Image, a new take on Mirage would all excite me more.

I'm probably not the target demographic anyway. I own like 5 figures in all.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:11 AM   #33
Coro
Mad Scientist

Im pretty sure that the super 7 stuff will come out looking like those heman styled DC figures. I forget what they call them, but they are ugly IMO. I have no data to back this up, its pure speculation.

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #34
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
Im pretty sure that the super 7 stuff will come out looking like those heman styled DC figures. I forget what they call them, but they are ugly IMO. I have no data to back this up, its pure speculation.
I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if that was the case. I expect them to be in line with the Toxic Crusader figure they showed off.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #35
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if that was the case. I expect them to be in line with the Toxic Crusader figure they showed off.
That Toxic Crusader Toxie was pretty similar to the DC figures Mattel released based on the MOTU buck. If you look carefully you can see that he has the same musculature as He-Man, with some sculptural additions and modifications. That is what I would expect to see with the TMNT figures - most likely a newly sculpted head, hands and feet, with MOTU arms and legs slightly retooled to include straps and pads etc.

The torso may be a completely new sculpt, designed to fit proportionally with the MOTU arms & legs. Mattel would often cheat when they created figures with non-standard torsos, by gluing soft parts onto, or hard plastic shells around the standard buck to change its shape. Super 7 could do that to add a shell and plastron to the standard MOTU buck.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #36
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I think what we’re going to get is a nod to the original playmates style which is awesome imo. Can you imagine if this line does well? We could get guys like half court, Dr. El, and even Scratch all with updated articulation.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:39 PM   #37
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I think what we’re going to get is a nod to the original playmates style which is awesome imo. Can you imagine if this line does well? We could get guys like half court, Dr. El, and even Scratch all with updated articulation.
If we see Half Court and Dr. El from this line, I’ll live stream me eating an entire pair of sneakers.

Screenshot it.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #38
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Now that I think about it that Toxie looked almost exactly like his 90's toy counter part. Just larger body with updated articulation. Would be cool to see the TMNT get that treatment.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #39
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
Now that I think about it that Toxie looked almost exactly like his 90's toy counter part. Just larger body with updated articulation. Would be cool to see the TMNT get that treatment.
It would be a dream come true!
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #40
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist

Super7's Toxie was the highlight of last Toy Fair for me, so I'd definitely be on board if they go in that direction with their TMNT.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote