The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Splinter truly die?
No, I died inside when Splinter was killed. 21 37.50%
Yes...Splinter being resurrected would cheapen his death in the finally. 18 32.14%
On fence. 17 30.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Do you think Splinter should be revived?

With the 3rd season finale, Splinter meets his demise at the Shredder's hands. This is a very emotional moment both for the characters themselves and for the viewers.

We can safely assume that the Turtles will go back in time and stop the Earth from being destroyed. But yet there is the question will Splinter be able to be brought back.

I mean we have seen Splinter cheat death once before during the second invasion while the Turtles for the most part we left assuming they were orphans for however many months they were living at the farm house. And yes one can argumentatively say that the events of Tale of the Yokai were also Splinter cheating death a second time.

And yet even if everything is rewound to x number of months before the Triceraton invasion, would having Splinter survive cheapen the impact that his death had the first time?

In earlier pitches of the show, the series was supposed to begin with Splinter's passing and thus having the Turtle's able to rely on memories of him for guidance. But that idea was scrapped because essentially, wherever Splinter is that is home.

However the Turtle's themselves are technically 17-18 years of age. And that is generally a time when young adults begin to look towards their futures and begin asserting themselves in the world around them.

While I personally don't like the idea of Splinter being killed off, simply because while the Turtles don't need him as a teacher quite as much as they may have when they were genin. They still need him as a father figure in their lives. But at the same time, in order for them to move forward they also need to experience that both Victory and Defeat can come with a heavy price.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by victory_angel; 10-10-2015 at 10:35 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Of course he will... or rather.. he never really died since they'll rewind everything and bring Earth back.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

April's psychic scream after Splinter's fatal wound is most likely the anchor point for the Turtles to travel back and stop the black hole device, and then they also bring some healing potion or a Phoenix Down to save Splinter. Bing bada boom.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Splinter is definitely coming back, no argument there.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
SKX31
Random Punk

On the fence - depending on how it's handled. However, I'm leaning on "No".

I'm hoping that the Turtles have to work for it all - and are not handed it on a silver platter. Given that it's 13 episodes, it's likely. The payoff should also be real and heartwarming - otherwise the aftermath (both Mikey crying over Splinter's body and their shock over the Earth's destruction) won't feel impactful in the end.

The reason I'm leaning on "No" is despite some jarring inconsisties, he's been a solid Splinter and him remaining dead would negatively impact the show - given the track record. Hoon Lee's performance also helps a lot.

Last edited by SKX31; 10-10-2015 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Well, I dun goofed at first.
SKX31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKX31 View Post

The reason I'm leaning on "Yes" is despite some jarring inconsisties, he's been a solid Splinter and him remaining dead would negatively impact the show. Hoon Lee's performance also helps a lot.
Though I wasn't meaning that Splinter would remain dead despite the fact the Turtles have done everything to prevent the distruction of the world. I was meaning "Yes" in a manner that suggest despite their efforts to save the world, Splinter is still lost regardless. So Splinter being brought back only to die a second time and this time there is no mulligan where they conveniently go back in time to stop Splinter's death.

Last edited by victory_angel; 10-10-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
STORMSHADOW__210
Hench Mutant

It was a great death and great writing . That said , no way the series moves on with no splinter. He is just as much "tmnt" as the turtles themselves
STORMSHADOW__210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #8
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STORMSHADOW__210 View Post
It was a great death and great writing . That said , no way the series moves on with no splinter. He is just as much "tmnt" as the turtles themselves
Splinter would still be there...he just wouldn't be a physical presence in their lives. Splinter could still appear in flashbacks, or visions while the Turtles are asleep or meditating.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Everyone who died will be brought back to life.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I love Splinter so I really hope he does... but I also like when we get permament changes in shows like this that totally flip things to keep it fresh. I don't like things being reset so easily. But again... I love Splinter so I would rather they just bring him back... but they need to do it in a way that has meaning. The turtles have to work for it. I don't want it to be too easy or his death/rebirth won't have any impact.

Even with Nick TMNT clearly being a kids show and I understand why they didn't dwell on Splinter's death for too long... I still feel like they rushed through it in the finale and pushed the turtles on to the next moment... I really, really hope that the season opener shows the impact of his death more.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #11
Ninjinister
無問題

I don't get the second answer. His death in the finally what?
Old 10-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #12
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I don't get the second answer. His death in the finally what?
Essentially its it means that bringing Splinter back to life and keeping him alive past the point of the Triceraton invasion, could cheapen the impact of his death in the finale.

Last edited by victory_angel; 10-10-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #13
evan2000
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Essentially its it means that bringing Splinter back to life and keeping him alive past the point of the Triceraton invasion, could cheapen the impact of his death in the finally.
He is mocking you for spelling finale as finally
Old 10-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
He is mocking you for spelling finale as finally
Sorry, about that. Misspellings are part of my dyslexia. Too bad I can't go back and edit polls.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:31 PM   #15
evan2000
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Sorry, about that. Misspellings are part of my dyslexia. Too bad I can't go back and edit polls.
No problem. Just be on the look out whenever Ninjinister posts something out of the blue. It's... his thing
Old 10-11-2015, 03:21 AM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

The answer is yes, Splinter will come back to life. We've known for a while that the clock will be turned back so they can save the earth and the only reason they had Shredder kill Splinter, was that it was meaningless.

I mean let's face it, they only did it because Splinter was going to die anyway regardless of what Shredder did, the destruction of a planet tends to do that. Splinter death has no real meaning, it was there for pseudo-drama.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:29 AM   #17
Ceres
Stone Warrior

Splinter should stay dead in my opinion but seeing as it's a kids cartoon this is probably too inappropiate and so they will let him life again.

"Shredder, why don't you make love to me anymore?"
Ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #18
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I guess I'm slightly on the fence, but leaning more towards leaving him dead. I wouldn't mind it if they're able to stop the planet's destruction, but still unable to save Splinter because that's how it was meant to be...like Tang Shen's fate, Yoshi surviving the fire, and Saki getting Miwa. I'd like to see the Turtles trying to cope with that.

If hey keep him dead, maybe have them do flashback scenes.

Now, do I see this fully happening...no, not really because it is a Nick show...
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #19
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I guess I'm slightly on the fence, but leaning more towards leaving him dead. I wouldn't mind it if they're able to stop the planet's destruction, but still unable to save Splinter because that's how it was meant to be...like Tang Shen's fate, Yoshi surviving the fire, and Saki getting Miwa. I'd like to see the Turtles trying to cope with that.

If hey keep him dead, maybe have them do flashback scenes.

Now, do I see this fully happening...no, not really because it is a Nick show...
Who knows....

Splinter's death was dramatic even for a kids show. So far defeat has happened twice for the Turtles and both times it has come with a heavy price.

The Turtles also need to experience that victory can also come with a heavy price.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Should he... eh, probably, long after it's old news. This show likes it's tragedy and reunion cycle. To be honest I'm having a hard time even taking his death too much to heart (though still very sad nonetheless) since I feel like it's just a given that he'll be back somehow, along with the Earth itself. Would not surprise me if the Utroms save him like the last series.

The Turtles are still young, even if pretty capable, they still need dad there sometimes.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
master splinter, tmnt 2012