The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #61
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Finally saw Christmas Invasion (It aired last night on CBC but I was too tired so I set the VCR to record it).

When the doctor started sayiing the lyrics from Circle of Life I was really laughing and thinking "WTF?! Why's he quoting Lion King?!"...then he said "Oh wait...that's the Lion King!"

"Their ship was orbiting Mars so that means they probably aren't Martians!"
"Of course not! Martians look completly different!"

IMO the Sycorax looked like something out of Power Rangers.

BTW a bit of trivia:
Sycorax (moon), a moon of Uranus.

Sycorax, a fictional character mentioned though not seen in William Shakespeare's play The Tempest. Prospero refers to her as a foul witch from Argier who was banished to the island on the accusation of practicing sorcery. Sailors left her on the isle pregnant with her son, Caliban, and while she was there she enslaved spirits to do her bidding. Chief among them was Ariel, whom she eventually imprisoned in a pine tree for disobedience. Sycorax, who "with age and envy / Was grown into a hoop", taught Caliban to worship the god Setebos but died before the arrival of Prospero and his daughter, Miranda.

So now ya know where the name originated from...Shakespear.

Some of my fave quotes tho:
"What about the royal family? Oh..on the roof.."

Harriet: "Harriet Jones, Prime Minister"
Everybody including the alien: "I know!"

As for Torchwood..I wish we'd seen em cuz I needed an excuse to get my drool bucket out...mm.. Capt. Jack.

I can't wait till the Torchwood series starts!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 AM   #62
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Dr. Who to air in the U.S!!!

News Flash! Sci-fi channel baught the rights to air Dr. Who starting in March! It will air at the 9pm timeslot replacing SG1 when SG1 goes on hiatus.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/681/681089p1.html

Doctor Who is headed to the States courtesy of the SCI FI Channel. The cable network and BBC Worldwide Americas announced today that they've signed a major licensing deal for the first series of new Doctor Who adventures.

SCI FI will air all 13 episodes of the hour-long series beginning in March. Who is slotted for Friday nights at 9:00.

The deal explains the recent retraction of a DVD announcement that had puzzled fans. The series was set to hit DVD in the US and Canada in February, but has now been reset for July 4th. It came out on DVD in the UK shortly before Christmas.

The new Who, which stars Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, began airing last March in the UK. It was originally passed up by SCI FI.

SCI FI's agreement includes an option on the next season which will star David Tennant as the Doctor.

Raph's Girl note: Well now..I guess SOMEBODY changed their minds about Dr. Who not being their cup of tea. Either way I now have 2 channels with Dr. Who on it. And more American's can be scared by "Are you my mummy??"
Old 01-13-2006, 04:38 AM   #63
Ra
It's my desire?

...and here I was thinking America got all the good things first

"So. The whole lot of you against little old me? How retarded."
Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:47 AM   #64
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Finally

http://doctorwho.ytmnd.com/

The show that is flat out superior to everything present, better than Lost, better than Galactica, without breathing, comes to the USA
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 AM   #65
Drtooth
Foot Elite

You know, PBS used to run all these old British shows. Sometimes even the occasional Monty Python. Now the only British programs they run are dramatic comedies, and the unfunny Keeping up Apperances. Sighhhh... I miss Mr. Bean.

Just wondering.... is Who on disk? Like a season set or a compilation or something?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #66
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtooth
You know, PBS used to run all these old British shows. Sometimes even the occasional Monty Python. Now the only British programs they run are dramatic comedies, and the unfunny Keeping up Apperances. Sighhhh... I miss Mr. Bean.

Just wondering.... is Who on disk? Like a season set or a compilation or something?
The classic serials (the ones that still exist) are being released on DVD, the new series (which is still in continuity with the original, but starts with a "first season" again), is available on DVD also.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #67
iris
moddy mod mod

Yay!

Passing up Dr. Who was an incredibly unwise move for SciFi, but they have their multiple original series going and they want to promote them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo
The show that is flat out superior to everything present, better than Lost, better than Galactica, without breathing, comes to the USA
Biased much? I like LOST; it's very, very good. But it seems Dr. Who will never die.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #68
Jade Green
ReyeJaye

I grew up with Dr. Who I think my parents will be estatic about this.

Yup.
Jade Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 PM   #69
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris
Biased much? I like LOST; it's very, very good. But it seems Dr. Who will never die.

Speak the truth much? Yes, I do.

I did'nt thrash Lost, I love Galactica, but Doctor Who IS better than both of 'em, not just from what I've seen of the new series, but the first twenty six seasons
Old 01-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #70
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

The official Dr. Who site now has a rather amusing image of Dr. Who in America.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

"Uh...Mr. President...there's a...blue box on the lawn..."
Old 01-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #71
IceFlash78
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The classic serials (the ones that still exist) are being released on DVD, the new series (which is still in continuity with the original, but starts with a "first season" again), is available on DVD also.
The ones that still exist? Were some of the older seasons lost in a fire or something?
IceFlash78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:57 PM   #72
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFlash78
The ones that still exist? Were some of the older seasons lost in a fire or something?
Back a few decades ago, the BBC really had no care whatsoever for what future vale their older programming would have later in life on digital or DVD, and to make up space, would actually WIPE, and DESTORY the material they thought could not be sold or distributed any other way. Many famous Doctor Who moments were lost forever, including the final episode of the "Tenth Planet", featuring The First Doctors' fracken regeneration (fortunatly, the regeneration sequence is one of the few things that was succesfully salvaged from the episode, so all is good there), and the entirty of Patrick Trougtons' first season as The Doctor, including the last black and white Dalek serial "The Evil of the Daleks", featuring the first appearance of the Dalek Emperor, and a large scale Dalek cival war.

To this date, rough film edits that last either under a minute or mere seconds are worth millions if located of these missing episodes, the audio for the serials still exist also, so any serial missing is released as a CD-Drama, but it does'nt really atone for the stupidity of what some companies did at one time.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #73
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFlash78
They were erased.

From Wikipedia:

Sometime between about 1967 and 1978 large amounts of older material stored in the BBC's video tape and film libraries were destroyed or wiped. This included many old episodes of Doctor Who, and mostly affects the first two Doctors — William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton. Archival holdings are complete from the programme's move to colour television (starting from Jon Pertwee's time as the Doctor), although a few Pertwee episodes have required substantial restoration work and a handful have only been recovered in black and white. In all, 108 of 253 episodes produced during the first six years of the programme are not currently held in the BBC's archives.

Some episodes have been returned to the BBC from the archives of other countries who bought copies for broadcast, or by private individuals who came into possession of copies by various means. Early colour videotape recordings made off-air by fans have also been retrieved, as well as small excerpts recovered on 8mm cine film from clips shown on other programmes. Audio versions of all of the lost episodes exist from home viewers making tape recordings of the show.

In addition to these, there also exist photographs made by photographer John Cura, who was hired by the BBC to document the filming of many of their most popular programmes during the 1950s and 1960s, including Doctor Who. These have been used in fan reconstructions of the serials. These amateur reconstructions have been tolerated by the BBC, provided they are not sold for profit and distributed as low quality VHS copies.

The most sought-after lost episode is Part Four of the last William Hartnell serial, The Tenth Planet, which ends with the First Doctor transforming into the Second. The only portion of this still in existence, bar a few poor quality silent 8mm clips, is the few seconds of the regeneration scene. With the approval of the BBC, efforts are now under way to restore as many of the episodes as possible from the extant material.

Starting in the early 1990s, the BBC began to release existing audio recordings of missing serials on audio cassette and compact disc, with linking narration provided by former series actors. "Official" reconstructions have also been released by the BBC on VHS as well as MP3 CD-ROM.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #74
IceFlash78
Hench Mutant

wow... i didn't know that... that's amazing that companies used to do that... I bet they're kicking their own butts now that the fad of bringing back old shows on DVD would have beent eh perfect opportunity for them to start releasing the older Dr. Who on DVD and rack in money.
IceFlash78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #75
Cerpin Taxt
Hench Mutant

What's Dr. Who?
Cerpin Taxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #76
ZariusTwo
Overlord

You know...it fascinates the mind how people can ask questions on an internet message board, and, at the same time, completly forget the internet is one big depository of info, found easily and efficently through a bleeding search function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

...I can't be the only one who bothers thinking this....
Old 01-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #77
Cerpin Taxt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
You know...it fascinates the mind how people can ask questions on an internet message board, and, at the same time, completly forget the internet is one big depository of info, found easily and efficently through a bleeding search function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

...I can't be the only one who bothers thinking this....
WAAAAAAAAAAAAH

It's easier to ask then to look up.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:46 PM   #78
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerpin Taxt
WAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
Whose whining? I'm trying to educate
Old 01-14-2006, 10:55 PM   #79
Cerpin Taxt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Whose whining? I'm trying to educate
But you were whining about having to educate. ZING!

Sounds interesting. I might actually watch it. Maybe even TIVO it.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #80
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The 2005 series (season one) will premiere on March 17th in the US, beggining with two back to back episodes "Rose" and "The End of The World"

Watch the trailers for both here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes/rose.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episo...theworld.shtml

Official site

http://www.scifi.com/doctorwho/

Tags
doctor cuck, doctor karen, progress, rtd2, toxic masculinity