The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-24-2018, 05:35 AM   #61
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I know the picture is fake, but the rumor about casting could still be true. While they struck lightning with the Beauty and the Beast casting I also know that the talent pool for young actresses is not all that great in this day and age. Also it doesn't help that the Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney animated movie and I am going to be much more particular about what they are doing with the live action version. I do not have high hopes for this one.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #62
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

This is a perfect opportunity for a trans actor to get their break.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #63
Chris
Mad Scientist

Rumour could be true, but we might not know for ages. Look how long it took them to announce Will Smith as Genie.

I’d be happy with Zendaya. Honestly, I was hoping they’d go with an unknown and find another Sierra Boggess like they did for Broadway (god, her voice was amazing). At least Zendaya can sing, that’s a step up from Emma Watson in Beauty and the Beast. Yes, she did ok, but they should have got an unknown who could really sing for the role. They need to learn these film’s are bigger than the stars, they don’t need big names to sell them. Aladdin looks like they learned that, yeah they cast Will Smith but everyone else are pretty much unknowns or at least not big names.

Hopefully this opens the door for Norm Lewis to be Triton!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #64
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I’d be happy with Zendaya. Honestly, I was hoping they’d go with an unknown and find another Sierra Boggess like they did for Broadway (god, her voice was amazing). At least Zendaya can sing, that’s a step up from Emma Watson in Beauty and the Beast. Yes, she did ok, but they should have got an unknown who could really sing for the role. They need to learn these film’s are bigger than the stars, they don’t need big names to sell them. Aladdin looks like they learned that, yeah they cast Will Smith but everyone else are pretty much unknowns or at least not big names.
Disney originally courted Emma Watson to play Cinderella, but she turned the role down. Lily James, who ended up getting the part, wasn't really well-known in the world of cinema at all. At the time, she was best known for her role as Lady Rose in the TV show Downton Abbey. After Cinderella, she went on to star in the critically and commercially successful films, Baby Driver, Darkest Hour and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.

Naomi Scott, who's going to be Jasmine in Aladdin, wasn't a big name either. Even though Power Rangers wasn't a big success, it was still playing in theaters around the time she auditioned the part. Liu Yifei, who will be playing the titular character in Mulan, is more well-known in her home country of China than she is in North America and the U.K.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #65
Chris
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I know the history. Tbh it makes it read even more like an exec just wanted Watson in one of these adaptations rather than her being the best fit for the part. Honestly, I'd have been happy with her in the role if they'd just dubbed the singing, Belle just needed a stronger singing voice IMO.

Like I said, they seem to have learnt that lesson and cast accordingly for Aladdin (and Mulan).

Anyway, apparently the Zendaya rumour is false
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #66
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I forgot to mention that Elle Fanning wasn't necessarily an unknown when she played Aurora in Maleficent. She had already achieved box-office success with Super 8 and We Bought a Zoo. After Disney saw her performance in the former, they knew that there was no one better suited for the part of Aurora.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #67
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Lots of people weren't too thrilled about Naomi Scott being cast as Jasmine in Aladdin because her ethnic background was different from the character's. Well, if Zendaya does in fact end up being cast as Ariel, then she will receive some very similar backlash as well.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/disney...acist-backlash
Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #68
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Right now all Zendaya can say is that her possible involvement with the film is just a rumor, but if she was indeed offered the part her response was “I mean yeah. Why wouldn’t I.”

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/z...id-1202953636/
Old 10-09-2018, 08:04 PM   #69
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Lady Gaga, who is getting rave reviews for her performance in A Star is Born, is on rumored to be on Disney's radar to play Ursula.

https://thedisinsider.com/2018/10/09...ittle-mermaid/
Old 12-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #70
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Rob Marshall has pretty much confirmed that he is going to direct the film and here's what he had to say about it during an interview with Alan Menken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Marshall
It’s about a woman finding her voice. A girl finding her voice, actually. And that immediately just felt like an interesting, timely piece that resonated with us.
https://ew.com/movies/2018/12/14/ala...n-alan-menken/
Old 12-14-2018, 06:00 PM   #71
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Rob Marshall has pretty much confirmed that he is going to direct the film and here's what he had to say about it during an interview with Alan Menken.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/12/14/ala...n-alan-menken/

He has no ideal what the Little Mermaid is about. Its about sacrifice for the one you loved, IE your voice/family/friends, and in turn the person you love does not really love you in return.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #72
Leo656
The Franchise

Color me shocked that someone more or less representing Disney would entirely miss the point of one of the stories they're adapting.

As fun as they are, the Disney version of just about any story almost always glosses over the moral as a way to tailor it to kids. Is what it is.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:51 AM   #73
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Disney you better hit a home run with this live action. So far, Aquaman has done a fantastic Little Mermaid on their own and set the bar really high for you

I can’t think of anyone better than Mera as Ariel tbh. She’s the perfect redhead!

Imagine if Disney does cast someone horribly off like Zendaya as Ariel pffft. They horribly miscast Belle and Cinderella but did amazing casting for Mowgli and Maleficent... so it’s 50/50 chance it could be good or downright awful.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:07 AM   #74
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I was so confused today when I opened up Netflix today and was recommended A Little Mermaid Live Action film released this December.

It wasn't the Disney version, after doing a quick google search but it got pretty negative reviews, yikes.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #75
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Lately all Lindsay Lohan has been doing is saying how much she'd like to be Ariel in this film. I'd have no problem with Meryl Streep playing Ursula, but Lohan is not meant to play an iconic Disney Princess IMHO.

Quote:
You said on your social media that you want to play Ariel in a live-action remake of “The Little Mermaid.”
“The Little Mermaid” is my favorite movie since I was a kid. Whenever I put that movie on, it makes me happy. I’m like, “Everybody, stop. Watch this movie.”

Has Disney reached out to you?
No, but I’m going to harass my agent about it after this.

You also said that your dream cast would be Meryl Streep as Ursula. Have you talked about this with Meryl, your co-star from “A Prairie Home Companion”?
No, I’m not in America. I haven’t been in L.A. in a long time. But I would go for that.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/features...el-1203101682/
Old 01-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #76
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Lohan looks like she is over 40 years old. Though she was really good looking 12-15 years ago.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #77
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Dion Beebe, Rob Marshall's long-time cinematographer, will also be working on the film. He had to this to say about it.

Quote:
Are you already doing previs for The Little Mermaid?

Yeah, we’re already having those discussions, and it is a bit of a new animal. The very first conversations are about the underwater world and how we’re going to approach it, knowing that Rob is not going to want to be actually under water for six or seven months. That’s just not going to happen. We’re working through the techniques and method, then we’re heading into some early testing.

Shooting digitally?

Yes. But it’s not that big effects-heavy films can’t be shot on film. The last one I did that way was Edge of Tomorrow [2014]. It really all comes down to whether or not the team can take on the requirements of shooting.
Mary Poppins Returns DP Dion Beebe, ASC, ACS, on Digitally Recapturing a Classic

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the underwater scenes after what the two of them did for one in Mary Poppins Returns. Marshall also responded to Lohan's campaigning to get the role of Ariel. He thinks she's very special, but they really haven't started the process of casting yet or what direction they will take with it.

Rob Marshall Talks Lindsay Lohan As ‘Little Mermaid’
Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #78
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm sure "burnt-out crackhead former teen starlet" is a top priority. C'mon Lindsay.

Almost every issue of her Playboy nude pictorial was sent back to Hef with a note stating "Thanks, but no thanks, we stopped caring in 2002." That's NEVER happened before in all of history. I'unno what gives her any idea whatsoever that anyone who isn't her reflection still thinks she's anybody.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #79
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm sure "burnt-out crackhead former teen starlet" is a top priority. C'mon Lindsay.

Almost every issue of her Playboy nude pictorial was sent back to Hef with a note stating "Thanks, but no thanks, we stopped caring in 2002." That's NEVER happened before in all of history. I'unno what gives her any idea whatsoever that anyone who isn't her reflection still thinks she's anybody.
Seriously? Wow. I'm pretty sure Playboy would accept MY nudes if I sent them! Okay, well, maybe not.

Besides, she can't be the Little Mermaid. She gonna be BATGIRL.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #80
Leo656
The Franchise

OH, I forgot about that!

And before that she was gonna be Linda Lovelace. Did that movie ever happen? Or did she get scared off when the script got to the scene with the dog?

She ought'a just get a bunch of shirts made that say "Cautionary Tale" on them and just f*cking own that sh*t. The "comeback" ain't happening. Drugs and botox have left her face frozen in "half-melted wax candle" state. It's over. It's been over for a long, long time. She couldn't get a job if she showed up to every audition wearing a life mask of her original face circa 1999.

Part of me feels like I'm being mean, and yet, another part of me feels like there's so much left unsaid. Weird.