The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #141
CyberCubed
Overlord

Baxter is a weird case because at the time he was a one-off character in Mirage only appearing in issue 2 around 1984 (he wouldn't return to the comics till Volume 2 over a decade later), and the original cartoon came out in 1987. Besides the fact that most people didn't know about the comics outside of adults at the time, it wasn't on the radar in 1987.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #142
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Baxter is a weird case because at the time he was a one-off character in Mirage only appearing in issue 2 around 1984 (he wouldn't return to the comics till Volume 2 over a decade later), and the original cartoon came out in 1987. Besides the fact that most people didn't know about the comics outside of adults at the time, it wasn't on the radar in 1987.
As a kid, I didn't even know the Ninja Turtles started out as a comic book series. It was this cool TV show that show up out of no were. I didn't even know who Baxter was lol. I look back at it, and think yeah, Baxter should of stay black.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #143
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, and Baxter has remained black ever since in every incarnation. 2k3 series, IDW, Nick, the movies, even Rise.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #144
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Does anyone remember the 1990s TV series that took place before the events of the first movie? Someone on twitter brought up a good fact that Ariel actually had a friend who had different colored skin than her. Plus, she was a mute and spoke with sign language. Her name was Gabriela.

Quote:
Someone really tried to use the whole "There are no brown mermaids in the Little Mermaid"

Aight, lemme give you a Disney history lesson. This is Gabriella, she is also mute and uses ASL to communicate.

Try again with that nonsense lol.
https://twitter.com/NipahDUBS/status...83952167829511

ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #145
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Also #notmyariel is the 9th trending trend on twitter
Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #146
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

There was actually a report from June 2018 saying it was rumored that Disney was going to diverse with their casting for this movie. Along with Ariel, both Eric and King Triton are also apparently going to be played by actors of different backgrounds.

EXCLUSIVE: Disney Considering Actors Of Color For The Live-Action LITTLE MERMAID
Old 07-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #147
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Even then there's people that will disengenuously use any argument to promote whitewashing. Remember the contortions people had to defend William Fichtner as the Shredder. "Oh a white guy can't play Shredder now? That's reverse racism" or "maybe he was adopted by a family in Japan" and the like.
That really isn't a good example, the Shredder isn't a character it's a mantle used by multiple characters.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #148
Wildcat
Foot Elite

So this is the latest thing the internet has to be mad about.

Honestly I was never that into the Little Mermaid. So in general I don’t mind they cast a black actress for Ariel but whoever was expecting a more cartoon accurate take I can understand being somewhat annoyed.

Still I do not think it’s a huge a deal as people will make it out to be.

I know people love to label things PC but I thought of something before. All the times where it seems like something is done to be different/diverse...don’t they only come off that way because it’s the first time?

It’s easy to claim PC agenda (whatever that is) but isn’t this the way things should be? That changes can happen to characters or whatever (within reason) and it be considered totally normal?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #149
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
It’s easy to claim PC agenda (whatever that is) but isn’t this the way things should be?
No. You can't force people to accept diversity through conditioning them, people are not stupid and tend to rebel when these things are pushed, they're going to catch on this is more a movement and far from "the norm".

Quote:
That changes can happen to characters or whatever (within reason) and it be considered totally normal?
If it were all done in moderation, then yes, it'd be considered normal, but this is a bloody epidemic now. It happens far too frequently to the point a traditional Caucasian casting would be a breath of fresh air.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #150
Wildcat
Foot Elite

So then what can anyone do then that will not be called forced? Seemly everything is met with some kind of backlash.

At the end of the day it’s a just 1 movie. It’s not like Disney is replacing her look in parks and toy lines. I mean her white/reheaded look will always be around.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:21 AM   #151
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
It happens far too frequently to the point a traditional Caucasian casting would be a breath of fresh air.
I agree, it would be cool with more South Asian representation
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:43 AM   #152
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Let's also not forget that Catwoman went through quite a change in the third and final season of Adam West's Batman. Instead of getting Lee Meriwether from the movie, they decided to be diverse.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...0f6c656c8.webp
Was the movie meant to be set in a universe apart from the TV series? If it was, then I guess it's not a big deal that Catwoman was played by a black woman. Otherwise, how would one explain her being of a different race all of a sudden?
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:52 AM   #153
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Was the movie meant to be set in a universe apart from the TV series? If it was, then I guess it's not a big deal that Catwoman was played by a black woman. Otherwise, how would one explain her being of a different race all of a sudden?
Um, Eartha Kitt was Catwoman in the third season, not in the movie.

Julie Newmar was Catwoman in season 1, Lee Meriwether was Catwoman in the movie, Julie came back as Catwoman in season 2 and Eartha Kitt was Catwoman in season 3.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:27 AM   #154
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

Julie Newmar was Catwoman in season 1, Lee Meriwether was Catwoman in the movie, Julie came back as Catwoman in season 2 and Eartha Kitt was Catwoman in season 3.
My mistake. It still seems strange to me anyway since it's the TV series.

I felt the same way about Idris Elba possibly playing James Bond since I thought the James Bond in the movies was supposed to be the same person, despite being played by several different actors. Then I was told about a theory that James Bond is a code name given to several agents each generation. If that's the case, then a non-white actor playing James Bond is fine.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #155
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Then I was told about a theory that James Bond is a code name given to several agents each generation..
That theory falls apart the minute you start actually watching the movies.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #156
Allio
Foot Elite

I mean... another remake? I’m beginning to think Disney can’t be original
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #157
sdp
-

Well in Mexican and Latin American groups they hate the idea of Ariel being Black. I wonder if Americans would think they're racist too?

My thoughts are that this change is stupid and sucks we lost another red head in fiction though. I wonder how much longer the trend of lazily changing the race to automatically get praised by groups and get free advertisement all over the web sill last for. I think the actress is very attractive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
But then if you're saying that Ariel can't or shoudn't be anything other white
Disney's Ariel though?

Quote:
or that representation and diversity is bad thing well you might have a problem with race.
While I'm sure at least half of the people complaining are racists, saying all who complain are is as big of a problem with the current political climate. Many of us praise diversity and want to see more, this is just marketing really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post

Maybe Ertha Kitt was meant to be Patience Phillips' Catwoman?

This is my headcanon now.

Quote:
Does anyone remember the 1990s TV series that took place before the events of the first movie? Someone on twitter brought up a good fact that Ariel actually had a friend who had different colored skin than her. Plus, she was a mute and spoke with sign language. Her name was Gabriela.

https://i.ibb.co/CMFVLwN/D-ox6c-VUAI3-VAT.jpg
Vaguely remember her, always cringey when the minority character had to be every minority possible, not only latino but also gay and on a wheelchair. At that point it's somehow worse in some regards instead of being good.

Last edited by sdp; 07-05-2019 at 05:49 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #158
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Melody, Ariel's daughter, is very happy about the casting news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Strong
Hey @chloexhalle I just wanted you to know you I am honored to have you play my mom. I know you’ll be beyond beautiful & magical ����#thelittlemermaidmovie

https://twitter.com/tarastrong/statu...99021515247616
Old 07-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #159
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Huh,

Never knew that Tara Strong voiced Ariel's daughter, but then again I never payed much attention to the Little Mermaid sequel outside of watching it once or twice.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #160
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
That theory falls apart the minute you start actually watching the movies.
Agree with you Zarius. Also, it's very apparent in all of Flemming's novels. Bond is one man.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote