The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
Vegita-San
Emperor

Colored Versus White - The Great Light Debate

You don't see as many christmas lights out as you used too these days. for whatever reason.

but mostly in this area, I see only white lights.

Very few have colored lights anymore, and they are usually those ugly dull neon ones. not the bright C7's of yester year....that can still be found, BTW.

So, what's your preference?

All white just seems bland and blinding to me.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #2
sdp
-

Many people are complaining because there are a lot more colored than white nowadays but I personally preferred colored, it adds more variety while only white can be monotone. It's annoying when big companies are adding colored where it should only be white though, change for the sake of change like that is not cool. Colored tend to be more rebellious too which some people dislike while white are more in line. Others just say that white has had the benefit of being the preferred choice for so long that colored can't even compete in today's world after years of segregation.

My grandma told me the divide between colored and white was a lot bigger so we've made a lot of progress in recent years even if some are against colored. Some just like to hang on to their outdated ways of thinking. But at the end of the day all lights are created equal so it shouldn't matter if you're white or colored. I was sure as a kid the difference was all about price and that colored were more expensive and that's the reason why I saw more white and now prices don't really matter.

Can we talk about the real issues though? With or without music? Those archaic sounds are horrible but have an incredible sense of nostalgia.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

lol Brilliantly subtle response. Title did get me for a second and glad it was really about holiday lights. lol

Lean toward the multicolored, but a single color, including white, can look nice too.

At least white looks bright and icy in a way. All blue looks pretty decent too. Unlike the slightly spooky looking houses that choose to go entirely RED. o.O lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-09-2018 at 11:59 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

warm white/yellow. Though I don't bother to put lights outside.

I went with multi coloured for my tree this year though as they suited the new baubles/decorations I got.

Last edited by newfan; 12-09-2018 at 11:54 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've kind of thought it depends on what kind of mood you're setting.

Want to be grown up and classy? White lights.
Want to be fun and festive? Or have kids visiting? Colored lights.

When I was a kid we did colored lights on the tree, but as my brothers and I have grown up, we've gone to white.

Fading out our colors...like some kind of bright caterpillar pupating into some kind of holiday moth.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

*browses eBay and Etsy for fluffy cute moth ornaments* Now I want one and can't find any. lol

Spoiler:

This was funny though.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #7
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

warm yellow/white lights. Colored light can get gaudy and tacky real fast, especially when people do the "American" style decoration where they cover the house, garden trees and bushes, garage and the cat with a million blinking lights in various colors.

Had neighbors that went wild, their house looked like a rave for their inflatable Santa figure
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Multicolor on the tree, but single-color strands outdoors, though not plain white. I would do different colors in different areas, just to break up the momotony, like one for the roof edge, another for the bushes, and a third for windows or posts. But nothing crazy, like decorating every inch Griswald-style.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
warm yellow/white lights. Colored light can get gaudy and tacky real fast, especially when people do the "American" style decoration where they cover the house, garden trees and bushes, garage and the cat with a million blinking lights in various colors.

Had neighbors that went wild, their house looked like a rave for their inflatable Santa figure
Yeah, it was fun showing my French and German friends the decorated yards when they came to my graduation last year
Old 12-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
Vegita-San
Emperor

I like those cool white icicle things i see hanging from the roof. those are kind of pretty.

but all white still reminds me of the christmas vacation house. blinding and boring.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Are people still using those icicle lights? Don't think I've seen them around here much for a while, but they used to be pretty popular.