The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-31-2021, 05:05 PM   #341
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think I'll ever shift my stance that it was the technology that sold the first movie. CGI was still "new" and people had never seen it utilized so extensively and with such effect. It was as much a tech demo as a movie, to me, same as Avatar.

You simply can't recreate the magic of that first film now that you can see way better and more dazzling things on a PS4. Thus, you've pretty much hit the ceiling of what you can do with the franchise. I think you can count the number of people who sincerely loved the first Matrix for its story on one hand, maybe two. It was a phenomenon because it was visually stunning for its day and people were excited to see how that technology would be utilized going forward. It was a literal "game-changer". The rest of the series was "just movies" because the spectacle has become mundane.

Not trying to say this to trash the first movie, or the franchise as a whole. Not at all. But this is my theory as to why it is impossible to recapture the same magic. You can only pop your cherry Once.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:09 PM   #342
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It was also coming out at about the zenith of the goth movement, when that was really sort of surfacing as not a new thing but a "cool" thing. This was around when we'd get Underworld, too, and all of that stuff.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:16 PM   #343
Leo656
The Franchise

Truuuuuuue, black leather duster jackets with black Oakley/Ray Ban shades and knee-high boots were like, IT right about then. I knew a bunch of people in the younger grades who came to school dressed like f*cking Neo, more or less. It was silly.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:23 PM   #344
Allio
Foot Elite

Still gonna watch it. But from what I heard it doesn’t sound good.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #345
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's not very good. Even the action scenes are lackluster and uninspired. I can't think of a single memorable moment unless you count Keanu leaping off the building.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:44 PM   #346
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Basically they like it and say that it reminds them of Gremlins 2, in a good way.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:04 AM   #347
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The problem is there's nothing the Matrix could do now that was as mind blowing as 1999.

Slow motion bullet dodging sequences? Plenty of shows/movies have done that over the last 20 years. Slow-motion kung fu/karate scenes or jumping across walls? Again I've seen that done so many times now.

And even the whole people plugged into a virtual reality world while they think it's the real world, it was the same thing Star Trek was doing with the holodeck about a decade before it. Machines taking over the world? Just a slight variation on Terminator. The first movie was great because they did this all very well and at the time had a lot of production values and high-quality effects. There's nothing they can do to capture that magic again.
Completely agree.

Using Neo as a protagonist was another mistake. Like someone have said: "Watch how the Hero once again defeats impossible odds, which he had done before and completes a mission, he already had completed". Its pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I don't think I'll ever shift my stance that it was the technology that sold the first movie. CGI was still "new" and people had never seen it utilized so extensively and with such effect. It was as much a tech demo as a movie, to me, same as Avatar.
Yep.
Reloaded and Revolutions had basically confirmed it - no amount of CGI feast could save them. Though, they had problems with story and dialogues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Basically they like it and say that it reminds them of Gremlins 2, in a good way.
I've heard this comparison before and I wonder, was making Matrix 4 that way was always the plan for Wachowsky?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:38 AM   #348
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I honestly don't think there ever was a concrete plan from the Wachowski/s beyond maybe some super rough general thoughts. I think the actual fun in it died for them when the plug was pulled on the Matrix Online. And that was eons ago.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #349
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The Matrix didn't do well at the box office it got popular once it hit dvd, it became the first must have movie on dvd when people discovered it. It wasn't because of the special effects either, sure it has cool effects but it's like saying star wars only got popular because of the effects. The concept of living in a digital world was new to most people even if you can find other examples of it having been done before, the matrix was the one movie that did it for the first time for most people that's what differentiated this from any other action movie to a special movie.

Bullet time was indeed cool but it was the great action scenes with guns that made it work, we had cool martial arts, cool scenes with guns, overall it was very well choreographed. It also oozed style, the black outfits was just cool not to mention a banging soundtrack. All those elements mixed into making it an awesome movie.

Yeah some of those "firsts" can't be recreated but it's not necessary if you have an interesting story, star wars has shown this. I love the lore and world building of the matrix but it's something most people find boring as per the criticisms of Matrix Reloaded. But there's plenty of stuff there for stories for people who like that.

I mean look at the Marvel movies, it's the same old witty jokes / action scene mesh and people go nuts for them despite having decades of the same old superhero movies, the fight scenes are snooze inducing CGI fests. I think the wachowski's were demotivated from the matrix after revolutions killed the franchise and the matrix online died, but they still wrote for matrix online and directed the path of neo after the matrix fad died. When people stopped caring they moved on until they were asked to be in Matrix 4.

I'm fine with no Matrix 5, I don't feel we need it though I'm ok if it happens. I just find some of the criticisms silly. The movie got slaughtered first of all because of the bad date they chose, getting killed by hype of Tobey returning as Spider-Man, the movie being Rated R and coming out right before christmas. Matrix 4 gave me a better conclusion to the trilogy I hated, I'm completely satisfied, I don't know what people were expecting.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:43 PM   #350
sdp
Megan Fox = April

In an interview they mentioned they never intended to do a Matrix 5 and that this was the end. I mean I guess that comment was only made because the movie did badly, the ending was open ended so it works either way. There was also another article I read that apparently WB wants to go on with Matrix 5 despite the movie not doing as well as they hoped.

I watched the movie again today, this time in a theater. I wasn't sure if this was going to be a rewatchable movie or not but surprisingly it is. I caught a bunch of things i didn't the first time.

1 > 4 > 2 > 3
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:15 PM   #351
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

WB getting sued for the simultaneous HBO Max release.

https://www.avclub.com/village-roadh...ource=facebook
Old 04-03-2024, 12:16 PM   #352
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

We’re getting another film, but do we really need it?

https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-mat...rd-1235874947/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM   #353
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
We’re getting another film, but do we really need it?

https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-mat...rd-1235874947/