The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 08-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Is there any system you regret buying?

Just wondering. Has anyone here bought a Virtual Boy or a 3DO when they came out?

I've only had good systems so no... although the Game Gear was kind of lousy. I remembering having 2 games for it only: a Sonic game and Shinobi. Shinobi was OK but hard as hell. Sonic... don't remember anything about it. Also, I wasn't the one who bought it, but my brother.

I know people who bought Sega Saturns and Dreamcasts when they came out and regretted it later. My brother and I loved our Saturn, however.

So, what about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:28 AM   #2
Turo602
The King of Kings

I've only ever bought modern consoles, so not really. I'm pretty happy with the library of games I have for most of my systems, and there's still plenty I'd like to get for each system.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I've only regretted not buying systems, like SNES and PS2. I've missed out on some games due to that.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I've only regretted not buying systems, like SNES and PS2. I've missed out on some games due to that.
I regretted not buying the original DS or a 360/PS3 back in the day, but I went through a spell where I got a bit burnout of videogames around 2009-2011, so I never got around to pull the trigger.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Nope. I love my Vita & WiiU even - both have great exclusives.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 AM   #6
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Yeah same, I regret not buying an OG Xbox or a PlayStation 1

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Even though I love handheld gaming to this day (I recently got a New 3DS XL), I regret choosing a Game Boy Advance over a lime green Nintendo 64 for my birthday when I was a kid. I didn't really get into TV connected console gaming until I got my PS2 the following year.

I bought my first Wii for the sole purpose of playing Metroid: Other M and was a little disappointed after that. I sold it all but ended up getting another one for emulation/modding purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I regret going all digital on Nintendo this past generation 3DS/Wii U; I'm still an all digital person but Nintendo was clearly the wrong choice to do it with as well.

I kind of regret getting a PS2 and Gamecube during that gen because it's when I stopped playing video games, not because either system was bad. I probably should've gone PS2 only even if I love my Gamecube more because it got me to play all the PS1 classics and PS2 ones before I stopped "gaming" and I'd eventually be able to play the Gamecube ones on the Wii not to mention I had always owned Nintendo consoles until then so I wouldn't have missed that much. But yeah a waste of money to own both systems when I hardly played at all.

I regret not getting a Gaming PC during the PS360 era.

I regret buying Guitar Hero.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Not really. I guess the closest would be the Game.com portable by Tiger Electronics. The PDA-style features and touchscreen were ahead of their time, though. Never used the Internet function, as I didn't know how to use it back then as a kid.

I thought the packed-in games Lights Out and Batman & Robin along with the built-in game Soltaire were alright in small doses. Never beat Batman & Robin, though. Never had an interest in getting any other games for it, even though a Sonic game was released.

I'm surprised to find out that the handheld was only cancelled in 2000. Thought it would have been cancelled long before that.

Last edited by Wesley; 08-05-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Thought about buying an Atari Lynx (model II) with 6 games yesterday for $100, but ultimately just couldn't justify it. Should I give it a second though? Anybody know of a must-have exclusive to the old handheld?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Definitely regretted getting some consoles as a kid too late growing up. When I did, they were at the end of their lifespans and the majority of my friends either began using apps or had the newer consoles. Some games I missed such as on the Xbox 360.

As for actual regret owning? Probably the Plug It and Play TV consoles. I had a few growing up; loved them as a kid, but the ones I owned were bad. Only two that were decent were a Spider-Man one and another based on Power Rangers S.P.D.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

I had a Game Gear as a kid with only 5 games. Only decent game I had for it was Sonic the Hedgehog 2. But my father bought it for me as a kid so I don't count it.

The battery life was horrid, I remember it took like 6 AA batteries and they all died after like 2-3 hours.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #13
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Like CC I didn't actually buy it but I begged my parent to buy me and my siblings a sega saturn. It came with I think virtua cop and maybe a race or fight game also. Might have only been like a sample of games included, I can't really remember. Could not affordable other games because the system was pricey. I used it a lot as a music CD player. I still had a snes so played that more.

The regretful part was that a short time after getting the Saturn I found out about n64 and wanted one of those but parents just spent a truck load of money on the Saturn so I didn't ask for the n64 right away.

I just wanted that saturn so bad because I heard how cool the genesis was and only ever had Nintendo. I eventually did get a n64 and it's one on my all time favorites.

Cubed you needed a battery pack for your gamegear. But that wouldn't have helped much with the awkward position you needed the screen in to see it though. NBA jam was fun on that and baseball too.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
Ninjinister
無問題

Kinda not all that happy with the NES Mini.

EDIT: Oh and the Razer Forge TV is pretty whack.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #15
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Any system that I have bought with my own money I do not regret. I do regret having an NES, though. All I remember were the games being so hard and always crying because of it. **** the NES.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I kind of regret getting a Wii in 2008. Not because of it being a bad system or anything, I absolutely loved it to death and played alot of ssb brawl.

However, I did have the unfortunate curse of getting a Korean Wii in a foreign country before migrating in 2009. As soon as I had Internet access, I updated my Wii and got error 003 less than a year after I bought it.

Ever since, its been collecting dust in the shelf for the past 8 years. Decided to try it again a few months ago and it was in perfect physical condition, but still showed the same error message upon booting up.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I owned the Virtual Boy and got it the christmas after release date. I was definitely disappointed since I thought this was the next console after the SNES and didn't understand how this was better if it was all red and black.
I found the games I owned a bit boring though and didn't have the depth of SNES games which made sense since it was more of a Game Boy successor. I don't exactly regret buying it though, I was a bit disappointed but I still found the 3D graphics awesome.

The Virtual Boy has a lot of myths online from people who never had it when it came out, it's easy without context to buy it now and make a youtube video about how much it sucks as an adult. I never had headaches or nausea or any problems with it. And if I hadn't gotten it for my "big" christmas present that year I would've just gotten a Power Rangers megazord from season 2 or 3 which while awsome as well I never did play with all the original megazords either so no biggie. I likely would've hated more not having the VB since I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

One thing I do regret getting was this:

The R-Zone was LCD Tiger system with switchabled games instead of being stuck with only one of them. I'll probably write about an article on my website soonish but like the VB this gets hated on by most people who never owned one when it came out. And while I do regret asking for it, it's annoying seeing so much negativity from people who don't even realize the context of the product. I mostly bought it since it looked like a scouter from DBZ And the games while sucky they're your standard LCD Tiger games, it's not like they were much worse but at least now you could have them all in one "package"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Any system that I have bought with my own money I do not regret. I do regret having an NES, though. All I remember were the games being so hard and always crying because of it. **** the NES.
git gud

But yeah games were definitely hard but that was part of the design, imagine how boring it would've been to beat the expensive games after 30 minutes. Somehow playing a level over and over again was not that bad and made the games more memorable than many superior games. I don't have bad memories just because they were hard.

I thought i just sucked at the NES because I was a child, only being able to beat 3 or 4 of all the games I had. And I thought that the older I got the better I got since I beat more SNES games and by the time I was an older kid with a N64 I used to beat almost all games. Little did I know then that NES games were just harder.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #18
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
But yeah games were definitely hard but that was part of the design, imagine how boring it would've been to beat the expensive games after 30 minutes. Somehow playing a level over and over again was not that bad and made the games more memorable than many superior games. I don't have bad memories just because they were hard.
It's not part of the design, it was just sh*tty design. Games were still in their infancy and there weren't really any rules or standards to follow. Not to mention the limitations at the time didn't help matters either. There's a reason you were able to pass more games on the SNES and N64 and that's because game design was improving and simple features like saving were becoming standard.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #19
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Why do I have to explain myself for making these statements? Like, do I always have to say "TO ME such and such" so people don't get all indignant?

IIIIIIIII was a child and IIIIIIIIIIIII wanted to win. It would have been much more fun TO ME "to beat the expensive games after 30 minutes" because IIIIIIII wanted to win. That's why IIIIIIII hate the NES. I fully understand it's a shallow reason. I fully understand I was a bitch and a baby. But IIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiIIiiiIIIIII hate the NES.

Christ.

Last edited by Cure; 08-05-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

NES games haven't aged well, but I like that Nintendo remade nearly everything:

1. Mario 1-3 were all remade in both Mario All-Stars for SNES and the GBA ports.

2. Metroid 1 got the excellent Zero Mission remake for GBA.

3. Zelda 1 technically got a remake although it was Japan only, even then A Link to the Past was basically the same game done better either way.

4. Kirby Adventure on NES got remade as Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland for GBA.

5. Punchout NES essentially had Punchout Wii as a remake, as it used all the same fighters and only added 1 new one. It also re-did the story of the original.

6. Donkey Kong, etc. are just Arcade game ports so it doesn't matter.

Nintendo remade all their big NES games anyway, so if the originals are too hard play the remakes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote