The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Holy ****.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #42
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The movie is now available on Netflix.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #43
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

The link to the original was pretty forced but I really liked the movie. I understand why Paramount was a little worried about making their money back and sold this off though.

Still can't believe they just dropped this on Netflix without much notice. Good for JJ and his mystery box.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:15 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just saw it too. Can definitely spot the ham-fisted Abrams reshoot subplot and "payoff" at the end. It doesn't actually explain where the monster came from, unless I'm missing something, it just shows how this particular group of people... arrive at the original movie? I dunno.

Yeah, this wouldn't have worked theatrically. There's barely even any shots from space. Just "Leprechaun in Space" style corridors and a lot of multi-dimensional drama that's mostly just talked about. The last one was even better than this. Daniel Bruhl is completely wasted.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-04-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:01 AM   #45
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just saw it too. Can definitely spot the ham-fisted Abrams reshoot subplot and "payoff" at the end. It doesn't actually explain where the monster came from, unless I'm missing something, it just shows how this particular group of people... arrive at the original movie? I dunno.

Yeah, this wouldn't have worked theatrically. There's barely even any shots from space. Just "Leprechaun in Space" style corridors and a lot of multi-dimensional drama that's mostly just talked about. The last one was even better than this. Daniel Bruhl is completely wasted.
They briefly "explained" it with the Donal Logue TV interview near the beginning of the movie where he basically said using the particle accelerator was dangerous because it could lead to monsters and demons. Unless I missed it I don't think they ever elaborated as to why that would happen. I think it was just a forced explanation that makes no sense.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
They briefly "explained" it with the Donal Logue TV interview near the beginning of the movie where he basically said using the particle accelerator was dangerous because it could lead to monsters and demons. Unless I missed it I don't think they ever elaborated as to why that would happen. I think it was just a forced explanation that makes no sense.
Yeah, I wasn't forgetting about that. But that guy was just talking about hypothetical possibilities... we don't see the monster appearing anywhere, we don't see a dimension of monsters at any point and some of them being yanked into ours, nothing.

And what a dumb origin, if it's true. The Cloverfield monster from the original movie appeared on Earth because a space station about 20 years into future did a particle collision experiment that sent monsters and demons back in time, randomly? I'm guessing the alien things from Cloverfield Lane too? The movie did say "them," plural, at the end of this movie, so there's more than just 1 monster.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #47
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't forgetting about that. But that guy was just talking about hypothetical possibilities... we don't see the monster appearing anywhere, we don't see a dimension of monsters at any point and some of them being yanked into ours, nothing.

And what a dumb origin, if it's true. The Cloverfield monster from the original movie appeared on Earth because a space station about 20 years into future did a particle collision experiment that sent monsters and demons back in time, randomly? I'm guessing the alien things from Cloverfield Lane too? The movie did say "them," plural, at the end of this movie, so there's more than just 1 monster.
Keep in mind that a Cloverfield 4 movie is also coming out. but that one is set in the past during WW2. So whatever this particle accelerator did, it affected time itself.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Keep in mind that a Cloverfield 4 movie is also coming out. but that one is set in the past during WW2. So whatever this particle accelerator did, it affected time itself.
It's like the laziest explanation ever. You can make a Cloverfield movie set in 2500 with space sharks, and it could be, "It was because in Cloverfield Paradox, they shot space sharks into another dimension's future!" Or make a Cloverfield movie with aliens invading England in 1501, "because in Clovefield Paradox, they must have also sent aliens into the PAST of an alternate dimension Earth!"

It's basically no connection at all.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #49
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

So... worth watching or not? Not as a Cloverfield (forced) connection, but as a standalone movie with some crap forced into it?
Old 02-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So... worth watching or not? Not as a Cloverfield (forced) connection, but as a standalone movie with some crap forced into it?
No, not worth watching even as that. Sadly.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #51
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
No, not worth watching even as that. Sadly.
Did you like 10 Cloverfield Lane?
Old 02-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Did you like 10 Cloverfield Lane?
Loved it. Better than the first movie, though it's a very different kind of movie.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #53
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

How The Cloverfield Paradox Ties To The Other Movies And Sets Up The Franchise's Future.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-f...future-a157616
Old 02-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #54
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well, now that this Cloververse seems to be a thing I decided to go all in. I watched 10 Cloverfield Lane since I guessed the connections to the first would be minimal and I really wanted to check this movie out since I saw the trailer and thought the original film could wait.

Overall it's an awesome movie and great performances all around, too bad that like most thrillers I won't feel too compelled to watch it again if ever. The ending I wish had been different and left a little more open ended, maybe seen the space ship from far and heard some noises and then she leaves in the car or whatever but the whole monster attacking her and then the space ship going after didn't feel necessary and didn't mesh.

What was up with the excuse of "I wanted to steal your gun", I mean it's like telling the cop you didn't rob the bank because you were trying to murder someone, and what wast the point of making a home made hazard suit? That doesn't seem like it would work not to mention I'd rather be with someone with an inconsistent story and safe who already had plenty of times to kill and/or rape them if he really wanted, I mean they seemed to finally be getting along. And it's not like they didn't belive his story or they wouldn't have made the hazard suit.

I think I'll watch the original tomorrow and the new one on thursday if I can.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #55
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

https://screenrant.com/cloverfield-3...t-differences/

Here's an article detailing what changed from God Particle to Cloverfield Paradox.

Eh. It doesn't sound like the original movie would have been great, either...
Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #56
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Just watched the original Cloverfield, I remember being so hyped for this movie but back then we were devoid from any Kaiju movies, how far we have come, it's basically become Hollywood mainstream now, just count how many we've gotten the past few years. That trailer had me hyped "I saw it's a LION it's huge", some people said it was a Voltron movie

I remember liking it but never felt compelled to watch it again and just kind of forgot about it so it did't have much of an impact. Watching it now was almost like watching it for the first time, can't believe it's been 10 years. I didn't remember the monster appearing so much in the film, especially since I remember a lot of complaining about the lack of the monster and that the only real look we had from it was from a toy. Overall the movie is fine, but I can see why I wasn't interested in watching it again, even though it's interesting, not much happens and what makes it interesting is the mystery of what happened, once you see it there's not much else to watch.

It reminded me a lot of Monsters which I watched like 2 years ago, hell now that we know it's aliens it could very well be the same universe, why didn't JJ get to those movies first
Old 02-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #57
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Apparently the reason why The Cloverfield Paradox went to Netflix because Paramount thought the movie wouldn't do well in the box office. So Netflix paid 50 million to get it.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...aradox-1082305

However the 4th Cloverfield movie which is set during WW2. Will still have a theatrical release on Oct 26.
Quote:

Last edited by TigerClaw; 02-06-2018 at 08:53 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #58
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Just saw Cloverfield Paradox and it's a fine movie, like the others there's no reason to ever watch it again but it's not a horrible movie. Now, I do think the connections to "cloverfield" have made both 10 Lane and Paradox worse movies but at the same time I likely would have never watched them as many others if not for the connection and while they were made worse movies, it's the connecting aspect that is also cool so why not?

As for what happened it appears that they had no idea what they wanted to do with the universe, even with the first film as to why it never got a title change or a sequel, just at the last minute they decided to change 10 Lane into a Clover movie and from there on they got the idea of "we can tie them all together and slowly build this cloververse" MYSTERY BOX BRILLIANCE PEOPLE WILL LOVE IT and I have to say it's an ok idea, cheap? sure, brilliant? no. Can it be fun? sure.

Basically Paradox ultimately created the biggest Deus Ex Machina in all of cinema, they can literally tie any future movie into the timeline with the excuse that "the multiverse was affected" so a movie set in the past, future, or an entirely different earth is now fair game. Trying to tie the three movies together right now might be a headache but eventually it'll just be easier to say "different timeline" with each Earth being affected differently, I mean just from my mind they can easily say there are 4 Earths now which is what I'm guessing they'll go for as this "series" continues.

I guess it works, I don't really need to know too much about what's happening, each movie seems to be telling its own story with the Cloverfield thing as an afterthought and that's fine if we can get great movies like 10 Lane. We can have fun speculation over the cloververse but going in knowing that anything can be explained with Theoretical Physics and no real explanation since there just isn't.

I'm in.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Basically Paradox ultimately created the biggest Deus Ex Machina in all of cinema, they can literally tie any future movie into the timeline with the excuse that "the multiverse was affected" so a movie set in the past, future, or an entirely different earth is now fair game. Trying to tie the three movies together right now might be a headache but eventually it'll just be easier to say "different timeline" with each Earth being affected differently, I mean just from my mind they can easily say there are 4 Earths now which is what I'm guessing they'll go for as this "series" continues..
It's basically linking all the existing movies and future movies by not linking them at all, really.

It'd be like if I made "TOM CRUISE: THE MOVIE," about how the actor punches a metaphysical wall and creates alternate reality versions of himself across alternate dimensions' past, present and future, to explain how "Top Gun," "Jerry Maguire," and "Mission: Impossible" are all part of the same franchise. It's meaningless.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 AM   #60
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
It's basically linking all the existing movies and future movies by not linking them at all, really.

It'd be like if I made "TOM CRUISE: THE MOVIE," about how the actor punches a metaphysical wall and creates alternate reality versions of himself across alternate dimensions' past, present and future, to explain how "Top Gun," "Jerry Maguire," and "Mission: Impossible" are all part of the same franchise. It's meaningless.
It's worse than meaningless. It's a lazy-ass attempt to handwave away any issues one particular movie may have, by saying "No no no, it's all okay because this is a CLOVERFIELD movie!"

The only thing I like about this strategy is that it enables Development Hell scripts to get made... BUT at the cost of having some BS edited in to connect to JJ Abrams' idiot cinematic universe.