The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-10-2018, 11:19 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Has Youtube become stricter with copyrighted material?

Just some years ago when searching for episodes from various animated TV series, it was easy to find episodes at Youtube.

Today, I find it more difficult. I know most material is copyrighted, but that was always the case. I know there are alternatives like Dailymotion and Vimeo, but I'm talking about episodes airing 25, 30 or even 35 years ago.

If you participate in the discussion, don't create any Youtube links to episodes, it isn't allowed at this community.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I’d say YouTube does seem to have become more strict regarding copyrighted material alright. A lot of episodes of the 1960s tv series The Fugitive used to be watchable on the website a few years ago but not anymore.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I’d say YouTube does seem to have become more strict regarding copyrighted material alright. A lot of episodes of the 1960s tv series The Fugitive used to be watchable on the website a few years ago but not anymore.
Companies really still try to milk DVD and Bluray money from that cow.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Some years ago?! Youtube has removed a lot of copyrighted stuff from their website since they were bought by google. It was in 2006-2007 that the website was a gold mine for wrestling videos, cartoon and anime series. Both current and old. That being said there's still several older shows fully update on youtube.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The entire OT no longer exists, as does the 2k3 series like it did a few years ago.

In general though, I'm not too worried since you can fnd the above material elsewhere with ease and I mainly visit Youtube for music videos and reviews and stuff.

One thing I will say though, is I'm surprised how some youtubers get away with uploading clips of movies/shows in full quality, and manage to upload 2/3rds of the clip of said movie/show scattered through 2-5 minute clips. One example I think of is Letupita725HD who uploads My Little Pony related stuff, but it might be due to Hasbro approving of their material being uploaded on Youtube in order to be advertised. There was also a Youtuber called Nicole Rey who uploaded Disney clips, but he got terminated.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Some years ago?! Youtube has removed a lot of copyrighted stuff from their website since they were bought by google.
Yes, but it seems to have increased now.

During late-2011 and early-2012, I managed to catch almost the entire 4 Kids TMNT series using Youtube and watch what I hadn't seen earlier.

When the Nickelodeon TMNT series began airing in September 2012, it was easy for me to catch the early episodes. Around mid-2014, by late-season 2, I often had to look for other places at the Internet.

By early-2018 it's getting harder to find MWS series episodes at Youtube.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-10-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
The entire OT no longer exists, as does the 2k3 series like it did a few years ago.
i can no longer upload sound with the turtles videos. lionsgate finds them within 20 minutes or less.

Kind of pointless to do all that work in tribute and not being able to upload sound with it but at least people still get to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Yes, but it seems to have increased now.

During late-2011 and early-2012 I managed to catch almost the entire 4 Kids TMNT series using Youtube and watch what I hadn't seen earlier.

When the Nickelodeon TMNT series began airing in September 2012, it was easy to catch episodes. Around mid-2014, by late-season 2, I often had to look for other places at the Internet.

By early-2018 it's getting harder to find MWS series episodes.

thankfully it's all on amazon video now for streaming. so no excuse not to buy

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
ZariusTwo
Overlord

My vimeo channel was recently terminated due to all the full length fanedits of shows and movies I had uploaded, even though I had disabled the download options.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
My vimeo channel was recently terminated due to all the full length fanedits of shows and movies I had uploaded, even though I had disabled the download options.
yeah, when i saw vimeo was starting to copyright police too, even for fan videos, I cancelled my subscription and havn't been back.

there should be SOME leeway for non monetized fan videos. where some actual effort was put into making something fun and interesting. although i understand why there isn't.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #10
Powder
So tired of this place

There are way better sites than Youtube for this sort of thing.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
People actually use Vimeo? What about veoh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Also this. There's plenty of anime streaming websites out there, at least.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #12
Overlord

As late as mid-2017, finding MWS TMNT series episodes wasn't that hard.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

Also this. There's plenty of anime streaming websites out there, at least.
I think they're talking about making their own fan tribute videos and uploading them without consequence.

The anime streaming sites let you watch anime on it, but not upload your own content.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #14
sdp
-

I joined Youtube in 2005, it was the greatest piracy sight ever Not long after it was cleaned up for the most part. The 10 minute restrictions stopped it a bit but you can still find the "part 1/7" videos which were made to outsmart it.

With content ID though it became nearly impossible. I still feel the worst time for copyrighted material was around 08 or so, I do think they became more relaxed in the 2010s.

Usually what I search for youtube is old and/or obscure shows that have no digital/dvd release and luckily most of those remain since no one cares to pull them. It's annoying when it's one of the above mentioned and it gets pulled but there's no other way to watch it besides piracy, so lame.

Watching cartoons and anime has never been easier though, movies and live action shows are definitely more difficult and often take you to shady websites.

Of course there's always torrents but who wants to download something just to watch and delete, streaming is just too convenient. I'd rather wait a year for Netflix to get a new season of a show than pirate for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Not for "tribute" type videos and the like or just playing around with copyrighted content with compilations and whatnot. Take Vegita's example, it's awesome to see an episode of the OT in 3D but it gets taken off but really there is no alternative, it's a fan creation.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
Overlord

The 10-minutes rule has been violeted many times, without anything happening.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The 1987 cartoon was given a refreshed audience thanks to Youtube as the series slowly rolled out on DVD. Yet by 2009, a couple of years later it was copyrighted. A lot of CBS owned intellectual property as well. The Beatles catalog and Don Henley stuff are taken down in the last several months. Its likely those who own the intellectual property reporting it themselves because of the money they might lose by its availability on the world's most visited streaming site.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:16 AM   #17
Overlord

I recall seing a lot of original TMNT series episodes in English, subtitled in Dutch.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:15 AM   #18
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

If Google didn't buy YouTube it would be a 403 page right now. They were looking down the barrel of a Viacom lawsuit that would have closed their doors for sure, and Google took care of it in a deal that required them to give IP holders more power to get rid of videos. That's basically the origin of the content ID system.

YouTube is so dominant and popular that it's hard to believe that it barely makes enough money to break even. Their dirty secrete is that the platform kind'a owes its success to copyright infringement, and so they have to be very careful.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 AM   #19
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I recall seing a lot of original TMNT series episodes in English, subtitled in Dutch.
Yeah, I have fond memories of burning those crappy quality episodes to DVD and marathoning them with my brother in the dead of night
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:42 AM   #20
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I still feel the worst time for copyrighted material was around 08 or so.
I watched the final seasons (6-10) of the MWS series over Youtube in late-2007 and early-2008. Didn't manage to catch them as a child.